• Members 535 posts
    April 24, 2023, 3:57 p.m.

For my Z30 + FTZII

§Last month I got from Amazon Ue Warehouse a Nikon AF-P 70-300 5.6E for <650€>
    A wonderful lens so far, but a little short for what I hope to be able to do.

§To have more reach I'm looking for a Sigma 150-600 C (f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM)
    So far I've found:

• a 5 year old "seldom used" for <650€> to be sent on "return if different" guaranty
    • a "mint" still in his plastic envelope for <850€> - with a three hours ride I can go to the seller, check it, pay, and collect if I like what I see.

Sigma 150-600mm Milano.jpeg

I never bought Used lenses from private.

What do you suggest as precautions??

( I'm quite afraid, to be frank - this lens new is over 1.100€)

• a 3hours drive is not appealing and costs around 120€
    • the 650€ seller has a fantastic reputation

and a 320€ difference is quite a lot

Sigma 150-600mm Milano.jpeg

JPG, 236.5 KB, uploaded by AlainCh2 on April 24, 2023.

• Members 243 posts
    April 24, 2023, 4:09 p.m.

As long as the return policy is good, no harm in saving some money.

• Members 535 posts
    April 24, 2023, 7:04 p.m.

Thanks.
    Yes, it's true.... BUT... you don't know if the return policy it's good .... until you try to return it. 👀

The second point is:
    Will a 5-year-old Sigma need a firmware update to work with the FTZ ?
    🤷‍♂️

Tom Hogan's site refers to Sigma as "working"
    1)
    2023-04-24 21 12 03.jpg

*I was asking in the hope that somebody has direct experience. * (various results from Web search )

2023-04-24 21 12 03.jpg

JPG, 95.1 KB, uploaded by AlainCh2 on April 24, 2023.

• Members 243 posts
    April 24, 2023, 8:31 p.m.

Well, I guess that's true. If they have a good reputation as you stated, that should be a sign that they have done right in the past. Since none of us know the vendors you are referencing, I am not sure what more there is to say on that.

Regarding the lens itself? Do you know that it is 5 years old? I bought one of these new last year and it works great, no updates needed, but if it is truly 5 years old, that's about the time the Zs were released. I would think that if it does not have the update yet, Sigma could do it for you. Or you can get the dock if that is not practical. I know a number of people on DPR have been using these lenses on their Zs, I just don't know how old their lenses are.

• Members 535 posts
    April 24, 2023, 10:14 p.m.

I asked the seller and that was his answer "4/5 years, need to check the sale receipt".

As for the reputation he did a lot of buying and selling on the "TuttoSubito" Italian system - the guaranty and reputation are offered by the TuttoSubito.
    (Subito for used things it's like a Craig list in USA)
    - and everybody says of him "He is an expert" then "kind" ... "got fine item" - believe it or not, 50 reputations top stars, that's it.

• Members 535 posts
    April 25, 2023, 8:53 a.m.

He found the receipt >>> Dec 2015 !!! 8 years old !!!
    It was his own lens... and he didn't use it much, it was bought for BIF.

Hahaha... we all do mistakes more than often 💱
    ( he justified himself as ...being a Hasselblad studio photographer )

• Members 27 posts
    April 25, 2023, 3:27 p.m.

I have a Sigma 35mm/f1.4 Art from December 2013. In fact that is the only non-Nikkor F-mount lens I own. That lens works fine with the FTZ on my Z6 when I bought that in 2018, without any lens firmware upgrade. Therefore, there is a decent chance that a 2015 Sigma may work just fine.

• Members 535 posts
    April 25, 2023, 6:20 p.m.

Really thanks.

That's what I posted this thread for.

Good (or bad) feedback on a reality I don't know at all.