• Members 4 posts
    March 31, 2023, 7:45 p.m.

There needs to be a resumption of speculation about the Full Frame Foveon.. over the years, the amount of threads on the old DPR fantasizing/speculating on this topic has been endless. I think we can consider that this is the true destination for Sigma fans only when this sub forum is full of discussion on this key topic. ;-)

• Removed user
    April 1, 2023, 12:36 a.m.

I thought that this is the Sigma forum, Alan, LOL.

Not sure that I would be particularly interested in an "FFF" discussion, having no intention of buying one.

• Members 4 posts
    April 1, 2023, 5:02 p.m.

Agreed, I think the time for FFF is past, the physics just don't add up.

But It is a measure of how much this forum is going to take over from the old one if we have all the discussion about FFF and whether the Merrill sensor was indeed the best Foveon ever. (another perennial fave)

• Members 62 posts
    April 1, 2023, 7:20 p.m.

Well, if you agree (and I accept that you'd have to be a Foveon user like myself to do so) that past Foveon cameras delivered a unique rendering that is hard to replicate with CFA cameras (even Sigma's own), then FFF makes all the sense from a physics point of view: Since Foveon sensors have higher noise floor than other sensors, they benefit more from a larger area than other sensors. Hence, Sigma should go full frame or medium format to maximize the potential of X3.

• Removed user
    April 1, 2023, 7:29 p.m.

As far as pixel size physics are concerned, we should expect image quality a bit better than the Merrills; the physically larger sensor not being directly responsible for better "IQ", IMO. Some might disagree because it "gathers more light", whatever that means.

My main objections would be the L-mount (I have no such lenses), having to download a higher SPP version than 5.5.3 (I never got a Quattro), and the price.

So, will you be starting a "FFF" thread as Alan has suggested ??

• Members 135 posts
    April 3, 2023, 4:24 p.m.

Kazuto Yamaki addressed the full- frame Foveon question in a March 23, 2023 interview. I read the interview via Facebook. Readers might also find it via Sigma global websites. Short answer: They are working on it.
    Best regards, Sandy Fleischmann
    Photos at flickr website

• Members 2 posts
    April 5, 2023, 3:40 p.m.

LOL,

You can take the Sigma heads our of their forum...

• Removed user
    April 5, 2023, 5:33 p.m.

... but you can't take their Forum out of the Sigma heads"

• Members 1 post
    April 7, 2023, 9:27 a.m.