• Oct. 14, 2023, 6:30 p.m.

It seems interesting to me that, since we discussed having articles and editorials on this site, that DPReview have posted a lot more articles than I remember them doing.

It could be coincidence, of course. Or my memory could be faulty.

Alan

• Members 599 posts
    Oct. 14, 2023, 6:48 p.m.

They are posting more annoying adverts that hopefully this site will never do...

• Members 666 posts
    Oct. 14, 2023, 6:52 p.m.

Who is going to pay?

• Members 599 posts
    Oct. 14, 2023, 6:57 p.m.

There is a variety of ways to advertise. I can deal with the least annoying type, but when it becomes annoying as hell and you feel like its a battle to read something, I'm outta there...
    Now if you enjoy the battle, then go for it. I certainly won't put up with that nonsense.

• Oct. 14, 2023, 7:20 p.m.

They may put more articles up, but this certainly is not related to our (or any other small or medium forum) activity.
    They just need some revenue.

In foreseeable future this site will not post any adverts.

Be assured we find a way to finance this small site without ads (unless we become major player with thousands of daily visitors, which is highly unlikely anyway).

• Members 1662 posts
    Oct. 14, 2023, 9:06 p.m.

Agree! I honestly doubt they still take any notice at all. And I don't think it's necessary. This site can't and won't compete with dpreview or any similar site - that has been established and it's fine. However what it should be able to, is keeping its user base, both in numbers, but also in terms of engagement and interest... and that's honestly what I'm currently worried about. Maybe that's on me but everything I've tried seems to come to nothing...

• Members 244 posts
    Oct. 14, 2023, 9:09 p.m.

It could be that the new DPR parent had a “pipeline” of articles and when combined with DPR, they are just publishing more…..

• Oct. 15, 2023, 10:18 a.m.

Thank you for doing what you have done. The site isn't going away and (as I've already said), we do have things in the pipeline. It's just that due to illness and other projects, it's not proceeding in the times we hoped.

[And my original post was a bit of a joke - of course DPReview won't worry about us - but it's nice to think otherwise 😁]

Alan

• Members 1521 posts
    Oct. 15, 2023, 12:56 p.m.

Many of us appreciate your publications and your superb photographs. 👍

• Members 1383 posts
    Oct. 15, 2023, 3:20 p.m.

SimpleJoy: If the site survives it will owe much of its survival to your efforts. What you have done works. We are holding the core of the active users. The key to survival of a site like this is to start interesting threads that get others to participate and share images and/or thoughts, and assure that they get constructive feedback for that participation. That is the key to the 15 year success of the Wednesday Critique thread, and the key to the success you have had with your share-threads. It has been the key to every successful forum or thread I've been involved with over the years.

Our problem here is that we don't have a way to attract new members. A good landing page with visual content as well as links to other items of interest on and off the forum would be helpful, if/when there are resources to create such a thing. Till then, we keep focused on holding the core.

• Oct. 15, 2023, 6:32 p.m.

+2 for the same. It will be a hot topic for us to sort out.

Alan

• Members 369 posts
    Oct. 16, 2023, 12:47 a.m.

Hi Alan,

When DPReview announced on June 20th that they'd been acquired by Gear Patrol, one of the comments was that the site would remain invested in quality editorial content. In his September introductory letter to the DPReview community, Gear Patrol CEO & founder, Eric Yang, specifically told members that DPReview "is in the business of photography journalism" and that, among the changes to expect, is "an increase in editorial output." Towards these goals, Gear Patrol has invested in hiring new staff and providing staff new facilities and resources.

We're seeing the fruits of that investment.

• Members 599 posts
    Oct. 16, 2023, 7:58 p.m.

Yes, but they still have terrible moderation and aggressive advertising that drives many away. I glance at it now and again, and mostly see the old die-hards.

• Removed user
    Oct. 16, 2023, 8:17 p.m.

On the other hand, I welcomed the take-over because my interests were only the Tech Forum and the Sigma Camera Forum (which is almost dead here). The Sigma forum there has excellent moderation!

So ... chacun a son goute, eh?

• Members 599 posts
    Oct. 17, 2023, 5:29 a.m.

On the other hand, I welcomed the take-over because my interests were only the Tech Forum and the Sigma Camera Forum (which is almost dead here). The Sigma forum there has excellent moderation!

So ... chacun a son goute, eh?
    [/quote]

Well that depends how you view 'excellent' ...which I don't see here with just a quick looksee...
    www.dpreview.com/forums/post/67304102
    Locking threads is NOT excellent moderation in my books!

• Members 196 posts
    Oct. 17, 2023, 8:26 a.m.

I was recently sent to the naughty step { all my posts had to be approved by the mods 😀 } for the crime of calling out a poster with a host of sock puppet fake ID's { same methodology , same agenda ,easy to spot } . I use an adblocker and never see an ad on DPreview

• Oct. 17, 2023, 8:54 a.m.

I mostly use DPReview now for looking at camera models/lenses/etc. and the scattered discussion about PCs. I posted on photo in the mobile photography page because I wanted to see what people thought about it. I am going to be all in on here for discussions etc now. The time has come to move on from there and living in the revived world!