• Members 102 posts
    March 28, 2023, 5:10 p.m.

While DpRevived is a good name for bringing people over from DPReview, that's a short term gain. Over the long term the site might be better off with a name that reflects the inherent value of the site, rather than sticking with a name that builds off a defunct site, that new members may not have heard of.

Obviously, whatever name is chosen, I would keep the name DMRevived for a year or two, and have it redirect to the permanent name.

I haven't given it much thought, but perhaps a name like "resource.photography" would be a better long term name.

There are lots of top level domains. The site is not limited to a domain name ending in ".com".

• Members 245 posts
    March 28, 2023, 5:17 p.m.

The title is a much needed kick at Amazon - but in five years time, who will remember that and it may just seem a little odd.

• Members 164 posts
    March 28, 2023, 5:21 p.m.

I don’t think changing name is going to help anyone later down the line - more likely it’ll just confuse and lose the identity of the place (especially with something as generic as “resource.photography”).

DPReview is older than some of the posters there and leaves both a large hole and a long tail in terms of its legacy; I think it’s fitting that it should be reborn and remembered in the domain name of its successor, hopefully for at least another 25 years.

IF this place is a success then DPRevived is the name that everyone will know and its origin will be an interesting story on the side. If it’s not, then… it won’t matter what it’s called.

• Members 1530 posts
    March 28, 2023, 5:21 p.m.

I share your opinion here 👍🏻

• Members 1530 posts
    March 28, 2023, 5:26 p.m.

I like the DPR start but I agree that revived.com won't say much in a few years.

• March 28, 2023, 6:39 p.m.

Please don't use any strange TLD, which are often used to send spam (I have simply blocked various info, buzz etc mail domains - and I would think twice before visiting sites on such domains).
    Also I think domain name should be quite short and memorable, like dp-next.com or digipho.com (this is unfortunately taken) or similar.
    .photography probably is not spam ridden, but I had some trouble to enter this "resource.photography" without errors, it is a bit longish :)
    I know that site addess and (notification) e-mail address do not need to be on same domain, but I would prefer them being same and I somehow like old'n'good TLDs, like .com or .net.
    .eu is also good here in EU - but I have seen questions about how to block e-mails from .eu - thereby even that is not safe.

Of course site may have presence on different domains, although this needs separate DNS registrations and certificates - expense again.

Just personal opinion.

• Members 217 posts
    March 28, 2023, 7:10 p.m.

Personally I'd have went with dpreview2.0 ;-)

• Members 1 post
    March 28, 2023, 7:19 p.m.

@Maoby

I like the DPR start but I agree that revived.com won't say much in a few years.

All that will be needed on the home page once the relevance of the name starts to fade, will be a short story about this site's origin following the demise of DPR

• Members 153 posts
    March 28, 2023, 7:34 p.m.

I'm thinking anything with DPR in it could come with some legal action. It has happened with bands where they've taken the original name and added wording such as "revisited"

• Members 102 posts
    March 28, 2023, 11:35 p.m.

How about DPR.photography ?

• Members 1 post
    March 29, 2023, 3:36 a.m.

I have to agree with the earlier post by Arvo that stated the top level domain should be .com, .net, etc., and for the same reasons. I run a small Slackware/sendmail mail server and I block all the non common TLDs as they appear in the logs. I have not seen one yet that has not been associated with spam. I would block them all out of hand, but there are over 1300 of them. I have not blocked .photography yet, but there could be other small to medium size mail servers that have.

• Members 7 posts
    March 29, 2023, 3:39 a.m.

I personally agreed with this domain name choice DPRevived.com. The reason was its' name derived from DPReview.com, it tells the purpose that it was born from beginning. That's my 2 cents thought anyway.

• Members 3 posts
    March 29, 2023, 4:19 a.m.

When thinking about Digital Photography Review associative names lots of options can be found, depends on what new message it should serve.

Keeping DPR as a legacy prefix is great idea.
    Using R as a first letter of new word - is questionable, but for sure more words would serve better than Revived which is leading to Digital Photograpy Revived). Main benefit is that is sounding very close to legacy naming, but its meaning is quite far from representing of forum activity. It sounds more like DPRemnant or DPRemains

I'd consider looking for more closer and positive meaning options
    In case of using "R" : DPRevise, DPRenew, DPReflect, DPReturn, DPReact
    If DPR meaning remains, just extra word needed: DPRcamera, DPRforum, DPRimage, DPRpicture, DPRvision

Of course I thought about DPRemeow.com, but don't take it serious.

• Members 164 posts
    March 29, 2023, 9:04 a.m.

I think the biggest and most obvious problem with this discussion is that nobody here is going to come up with that one perfect name that everyone else agrees with. All that’s going to happen is a constant round of suggestions and shootings down until the “naming committee” gets bored and ends up producing something so completely banal and generic that it’s forgotten before it even leaves the page.

At the end of the day someone has to just make a decision, stick with it and build the site - and they have.

• Members 510 posts
    March 29, 2023, 9:07 a.m.

Excellent choice! 😎 😀😂

Seriously, I think the domain name is fine. OK, people not in the know may not immediately understand what the site is about and it's a little hard to remember and type. But dpreview doesn't really say much either and is also hard to type and that went pretty well.

• Members 509 posts
    March 29, 2023, 9:16 a.m.

Years ago, the BBC ran its own forums under the name 606 (which I think was originally derived from the Ceefax Teletext service page number they used for their sports news). Then they shut down the forums in 2011. A community effort calling itself 606v2.com/ sprung up in response and is still going strong today. There is also another called not606.com/.

I feel there is long term value in using a defunct brand as a rallying point.

• March 29, 2023, 9:19 a.m.

Interesting that the other site has messed up the operation of their forums by the change they just made. Whilst we shouldn't be so vulnerable because our underlying system is more robust, it's a lesson about making changes without due planning. We had the problem with the email bugs, and I don't want to go there again.