• Members 284 posts
    March 27, 2023, 8:48 p.m.

I know, we all expect to be part of this new community in peace and harmony, but anyway I think would be good to be able to block users and avoid certain confrontations that are not uncommon on public forums.

(DPR has that option but only through the comments section).

• edit

Thread title has been changed from “Block user” option....

• March 27, 2023, 9:08 p.m.

You mean for individuals to block certain users from their view of the system? If so, it's a hard thing to do, and surely peopel can blank others if they feel that way, do they need a facility to do it?

• Members 510 posts
    March 28, 2023, 4:22 a.m.

To the best of my knowledge…
    ignore a member / ignore user posts, make their postings invisible to you is not possible with this forum’s software, Misago.

The golden rule is: Don't feed the trolls. lol
    a4.pbase.com/o10/56/215056/1/167177421.yx6ltn8X.untitled.png

• Members 284 posts
    March 28, 2023, 6 a.m.

Yes, I mean like the option of "ignore" other users DPR has. But yes, let's assume that won't be necessary here.

• Members 85 posts
    March 28, 2023, 6:11 a.m.
  • Members 6 posts
    May 5, 2023, 9:20 p.m.

Ugh, this site needs this option now. First time here in a week or two, and the second thread I read looks like a DPR flame war, involving the usual suspects from DPR. Sadly they can't be blocked here.

• Members 510 posts
    May 5, 2023, 9:49 p.m.

I hear that (hippy) herbal tea works wonders for that calming effect.
    Personally, I’m more of a Lucky Stike + black coffee kinda guy.

Never ever smoked indoors. lol

a4.pbase.com/o10/56/215056/1/166037682.zv80F03k.untitled.png

• Members 137 posts
    May 5, 2023, 10:30 p.m.

I made a dedicated browser for DPReview once that had the option to block users or posts with keywords from a 'blocklist' in a user made text file. So I posted about it in one of the forums, some people actually started to use it and low and behold, my account was deleted by Phil Askey due to 'unwanted behavior'. Not much later the 'ignore user' function was implemented on DPR.

The way this worked was with a so called 'Browser Control' in Visual Studio, the programming environment of Microsoft.

For those unfamiliar with it, think of a program that only contains the actual browser area of a web browser. You create a new program and drag the browser control on the surface, it is that simple to create a browser, which is in fact of course Edge. In the program behind the window you can read the html of the webpage line by line before it is displayed and compare it with the blocklist. If, for instance, 'Foskito' is present in the list and a thread is found in the 'Threads' section of this site created by this poster, you can filter this entry out of the html before it is displayed so it will not be visible.

This is of course some work but in itself not difficult. If you go to the Threads page on this site, right click and choose 'View page source' you see the text of the html that is available to your program and you just have to iterate through it, identify the unwanted parts, filter them out and sent the rest to the browser control as output.

• Members 510 posts
    May 5, 2023, 10:48 p.m.

If you get upset by anyone’s actions or words online… then the internet is maybe not for you.
    What about the news articles in The WSJ, The Washington Post, or god forbid, CNN, are you going to “edit” / block them too. LMAO

My 2¢

• Members 137 posts
    May 5, 2023, 10:54 p.m.

I choose the news channels and papers that I like, so yes in a way I do that, like everybody else on earth.

That said, back then on DPReview there were really some very annoying people with an agenda and the site became much better readable with my little system. YMMV.

• Members 653 posts
    May 5, 2023, 11:16 p.m.

Just ignore them. Gees. You're the one making it hard on yourself.

It's just an Internet discussion forum. It's not life.

Rich

• Members 38 posts
    May 6, 2023, 7:32 a.m.

It would just make it this much easier to find the on topic and interesting comments in a thread. There's already several threads where entire pages are filled with 2 'rivals' continuing (and repeating) an argument that they had in other threads.
    Yes I'd love to filter out this waste of my time.

• Members 209 posts
    May 6, 2023, 7:53 a.m.

As was replied in a parallel thread on the same subject, getting threaded view would solve most of that and more positively, would still allow a thread to bifurcate in different but interesting directions.

BTW I used the ignore function more for not having to see the nasties than for skipping repetition