• Members 7 posts
    April 6, 2023, 7:33 a.m.

I have samsung galaxy M33 mobile and I love it's Ultra wide angle camera. It is roughly 13.5mm in full frame equivalence. I also had Nokia 5.3 mobile previously which also had similar Ultra wide angle lens which I loved.

Can i buy ultra wide angle lens for my Fuji camera?
    A sample image produced by Galaxy M33 ultra wide angle camera technically 13.5mm in full frame

while i love this angle of view and rendering problem is their Image quality. Specially in the corners they get smeared so i can't make big prints nor advertise to sell them

If I buy a Lowa 9mm lens for my Fuji APS-C camera I assume I'll get similar perspective but high quality pictures?
    Am I right or smarphones do some computing to make pictures beautiful which can't be obtained by purchasing camera lens?

I'm also torn between whether to buy Loawa 9mm or wait for upcoming Fuji 8mm.. I also feel 8mm to be too extreme but there wouldn't be much difference in 1mm (1.5mm in full frame) right?

Lowa also comes with f2.8 aperture and lower price tag where fuji would be f/3.5 but will have Autofocus. I don't think autofocus and Weather resistance matters to me in UWA.

My biggest concern is will i get similar perspective and rendering of the smarphone ultra wide angle?

Image taken in my mobile ultra wide angle lens

• Members 71 posts
    April 6, 2023, 9:28 a.m.

Yes!

No, because it'll be a hell of a lot nicer - obviously the 8 f/3.5 isn't out yet, but here's a sample gallery from the 8-16 f/4 with many shots taken at 8mm. I don't expect the prime to perform any worse than this: www.photographyblog.com/previews/fujifilm_xf_8_16mm_f2_8_r_lm_wr_photos

Hopefully, someone with the appropriate buttons can move the thread over to Fuji X, too.

• arrow_forward

Thread has been moved from Migration.

• Members 14 posts
    April 7, 2023, 10:30 a.m.

Yes 9 mm on APS-C is 13.5 mm equivalent on FF.

Yes AF is not that important with UWA lenses.

The Laowa 9/2.8 is a super tiny lens. I used to own it. It is good in the center and a bit weaker in the corners. It has really significant vignetting. On the other hand, it is virtually distortion free.

There is also a NiSi 9.

But why not wait for tests and price of the XF 8/3.5?

Similar perspective as cell phone - yes of course, as long as the fl is comparable. Depends also on distortion correction.

Similar rendering - don't know. Cannot make a statement.

Regards,

Martin