• Members 861 posts
    Oct. 9, 2023, 12:13 p.m.

I can't find the thread on Reddit, but someone had posted a picture of their lcd image displaying a rather peculiar looking final image. It was rather interesting honestly and it got me thinking, would it be possible to purposely damage a digital camera in some way to get some sort of random distortion or otherwise unexpected result each time you took a picture?

I don't mean something like scratch the sensor, more a if you remove this part from inside a camera the pixels will shift around randomly when you take pictures.

• Oct. 9, 2023, 1:33 p.m.

Not likely - this level circuitry (processor + RAM) either works or crashes.
    I have seen some broken images using corrupted memory card, but more often than not you get just 'write error' or something.

But well, probably you could introduce some noise into analog part of readout circuit.
    Small rotating disco ball + few random leds in front of sensor would be certainly better :)

• Removed user
    Oct. 9, 2023, 2:58 p.m.

Not possible without breaking the sensor, IMO. Silicon is like glass and the pixels can not move relative to each other, their positions are fixed.