• Members 1457 posts
    Sept. 27, 2023, 7:15 p.m.

Every so often it happens. I was using my tripod on a tripod to do some HDR frames with the D850 + 24TS, in a deserted courtyard. Sombody came up to me and asked if the pictures were for professional use. No, I said, I just like doing things properly, I added.

I am amazed there are still people who believe they have come across sombody who is going to make a ton of money, selling photographs of their obscure monument.

Why does a tripod seem to equate with professional photography?

• Members 196 posts
    Sept. 27, 2023, 7:57 p.m.

I think given most of the world now uses mobile phones for their needs. That any ILC camera looks potentially “professional” the D850 with 24TS on board a tripod is a pretty powerful looking set up. For lack of a better word "real" photography is becoming an ever less popular activity so high grade gear will stand out. I enjoy the use of a tripod for landscape shooting it psychologically slows you down and for me adds to the experience . Though when out and about it is rare to see anyone using a tripod or a serious ILC for that matter

• Foundation 1405 posts
    Sept. 27, 2023, 8:13 p.m.

I have no idea; but I keep reading that anyone taking photos with anything other than a phone is regarded suspiciously. I also use a decent tripod with a Rogeti head and a bracket that holds the lens while shifting the camera. I may get arrested one day!

Best,

David

• Members 1457 posts
    Sept. 27, 2023, 8:16 p.m.

Unfortunately what you write is very true. On my photographic day out in a wonderful medieval village, I do not think I saw more than one or two, dedicated cameras. Again very few actually stop and carefully look at the place they are visiting.

You are dead right about a tripod slowing you down, and I find I am more careful with the framing.

• Members 1457 posts
    Sept. 27, 2023, 8:29 p.m.

Actually it cuts both ways sometimes. When photographing interiors of monuments I have also found people interested in what I am doing, and have turned on lights and things for me. Knowing something about the history of the place also opens doors.

• Members 177 posts
    Sept. 28, 2023, 8:07 a.m.

It would be interesting to see a picture of your "tripod on a tripod" setup.

• Members 1457 posts
    Sept. 28, 2023, 9:53 a.m.

Camera on a tripod obviously!

• Members 861 posts
    Sept. 28, 2023, 8:27 p.m.

You mean a bunch of people who own cameras and have websites.

• Members 861 posts
    Sept. 28, 2023, 8:32 p.m.

Short answer - because it's a professional tool.

Long answer - the history of cameras as long been tied to the use of tripods. Someone smarter than me can name the time frame where a tripod being a requirement for photography kinda ended. I think it's around the late 40s/early 50s but that's a guess. Anyways, now a days, most people do not equate normal photography with tripods. They see it as something a professional would use because 99% of the world's photography today doesn't use one. So if you're a photographer lugging one around, don't think it would out of line to assume that person treats photography in a more serious and professional manner.

• Members 599 posts
    Sept. 28, 2023, 9:41 p.m.

But that is usually because you are dealing with clergy, whom are usually more considerate, unless you bump into the more anal type.

• Members 599 posts
    Sept. 28, 2023, 9:42 p.m.

Ironically true...post 911 has increased suspicions.

• Members 599 posts
    Sept. 28, 2023, 9:44 p.m.

Tripods the majority of the time, equate 'superior' images that are more worthy of publication and producing sales.

• Members 796 posts
    Sept. 29, 2023, 10:54 a.m.

Well, ...most images taken by a worthy photographer are "just as superior" without a tripod, of course there is a type of image that is only possible with a tripod and some images where a tripod doesn't matter one way or the other.
    A tripod slows you down! That can be beneficial or just a hindrance; which depends on the Situation and how the photographer feels about it.

• Members 1457 posts
    Sept. 29, 2023, 4:16 p.m.

For my photogrphy, the tripod is a pretty useful tool. I use it when I want to use low ISO levels in dark places to get the best possible image quality out of my camera's sensor. It is also pretty vital when I do HDR. It is also a pretty useful way of slowing down and taking more care with the composition.

But, yes the tripod is just one of a number of accessories that help to create better pictures, when needed.

• Members 1457 posts
    Sept. 29, 2023, 4:19 p.m.

As sombody else said, you make some business cards, put up a website and you can call yourself a professional. How many of the photographers in your area make a good living at it?

• Members 599 posts
    Sept. 29, 2023, 9:24 p.m.

Please note the words 'majority' and 'equate'
    ...they were used for a reason.
    Not having a tripod can slow you down. [right tool for the job]