• Aug. 21, 2024, 8:13 p.m.

As many of us do not like editing their images by other users, but many of us want to do just that, then I thought I'll start new thread (challenge) precisely for editing other users images :)

General rules:

• a previous round winner presents a busy or just not so interesting image, having at least some potential for different crops or visions
    • anyone (except author of original image) can edit the presented image, up to three distinct edits (in separate posts) are permitted
    • all edits must be based on original image, not on another people edits (of course borrowing ideas would not be a problem)
    • the edited version gathering most likes within a week or so, wins and its author will start next round

Editing rules (ver 2, based on feedback):

• all 'normal' adjustments (brightness, colors, curves etc) are permitted (both local and global ones)
    • all geometric adjustments (perspective, cropping etc) are permitted
    • artistic effects (brushes, textures etc) are allowed
    • no object addition or replacement is allowed (sorry Alan - no alien skies or birds), non-essential objects may be removed
    • generative AI must not be used

Short explanations about your editing intentions are encouraged, but not required.

I will start with one old image, having (hopefully) at least some potential for different interpretation.
    As it is a Sigma one, then no raw file (no one will able to decode it properly) - you will have to use jpg version; I decreased contrast to not have any out-of-gamut or clipped regions.
    Generally either jpeg or tiff image must be presented for editing, raw file is optional.

Go wild 🙃

SDIM7018.jpg

SDIM7018.jpg

JPG, 3.9 MB, uploaded by ArvoJ on Aug. 21, 2024.

• Members 276 posts
    Aug. 21, 2024, 10:18 p.m.

Well, the rules are a bit too contrived.
    Your sample sorely craves for more object removal.

And IMO you'd better used linear 16 bit TIFF instead of reducing contrast and 8 bit JPEG.

file_5.jpg

file_5.jpg

JPG, 1.6 MB, uploaded by finnan on Aug. 21, 2024.

• Members 3318 posts
    Aug. 21, 2024, 10:27 p.m.

I think the rules are very clear and appropriate but I do agree with you in that object removal should be allowed. For example, rubbish on a sandy beach etc.

Imo members should be allowed to submit either a link to a raw file, 16 bit tif or an 8 bit jpeg for editing; their choice.

• Members 961 posts
    Aug. 21, 2024, 11:28 p.m.

Good concept Arvo. Gives people the opportunity to observe and learn the effects of pp.

The only suggestion I would make is that explanations about editing intentions be encouraged, but not required. Would help those learning pp.

• Foundation 155 posts
    Aug. 22, 2024, 6:46 a.m.

Arvo,

Nice idea. Hope it works out - though can't do anything myself from this PC.

My only suggestion is that - as pointed out earlier - object removal should be allowed. But it's your idea, so your rules

Tim

• Aug. 22, 2024, 6:55 a.m.

Thank you for your feedback!

OK, I will change that.

tiff or jpeg has to be present (not everyone can open every kind of raw file) - raw file is optional.

But tiff/jpeg format does not make big difference - I intended this thread more as contest of ideas, not to produce technically perfect images. jpeg has about 11 stops of DR (gamma and so on), enough for conceptual edit.

• Members 276 posts
    Aug. 22, 2024, 7:17 a.m.

When you start tinkering with gradation watch out for banding.

• Members 3318 posts
    Aug. 22, 2024, 7:30 a.m.

I think the purpose of this thread is to swap editing ideas and techniques without necessarily coming up with a 100% quality image. Some people choose to shoot sooc jpegs and that's fime. I shoot raw though.

• Members 3318 posts
    Aug. 22, 2024, 7:38 a.m.

Good point 👍

• Members 789 posts
    Aug. 22, 2024, 10:41 a.m.

Here is a version with a similar lighting as the original, just a bit brighter with added fill light and more contrast.
    Cropped a bit off the bottom to balance the image a bit better. The people are now in a "thirds" position which usually works quite well to draw more attentione to them.
    Dodged and burned some areas using tone curve modification this makes the people brighter, the lights in the window on the right are glowing brighter and even the beer in the glasses on the left now looks more attrractive.
    Tried to straighten the crooked building, just a bit
    Left the sky more or less as it was.

edit of sdim7018.jpg

edit of sdim7018.jpg

JPG, 3.3 MB, uploaded by Fireplace33 on Aug. 22, 2024.

• Members 1518 posts
    Aug. 22, 2024, 12:52 p.m.

I have here three versions made with my old LR 6.12

V01.jpg

V02.jpg

V03.jpg

V03.jpg

JPG, 4.1 MB, uploaded by Maoby on Aug. 22, 2024.

V02.jpg

JPG, 2.8 MB, uploaded by Maoby on Aug. 22, 2024.

V01.jpg

JPG, 2.4 MB, uploaded by Maoby on Aug. 22, 2024.

• Members 3318 posts
    Aug. 23, 2024, 5:46 a.m.

Deleted

• Foundation 155 posts
    Aug. 23, 2024, 7:24 a.m.

Dan,

How about some light in some of the other ground floor windows. Is that possible - or is it against the rules?

Tim

• Aug. 23, 2024, 7:38 a.m.

Light can be altered, no problems - this does not change scene.
    I tried to make rules this way that people do not start adding foreign objects or replace some parts of image completely; other edits should be permitted.

• Foundation 155 posts
    Aug. 23, 2024, 8:15 a.m.

Arvo - thanks for the clarification

Dan - I don't have the s/w (or probably the ability) to do it myself. Would you care to oblige?

Tim

• Members 3318 posts
    Aug. 23, 2024, 11:33 a.m.

Which image editing application do you use or do you use sooc jpegs?