• Members 666 posts
    Nov. 10, 2023, 7:40 p.m.

I think it has to be set in the site rules that it is prohibited to edit somebody else's image without expressed permission.

• Removed user
    Nov. 10, 2023, 7:52 p.m.

If only it were that simple ...

How would the prohibition be enforced?

• Members 666 posts
    Nov. 10, 2023, 7:55 p.m.

At least you will be able to request it, and if it will be ignored, admins can take an action.

• Removed user
    Nov. 10, 2023, 8:10 p.m.

What I meant was: if Admin writes a rule to 'prohibit the editing of somebody else's image without expressed permission', what action are you recommending if the prohibition is ignored?

• Members 666 posts
    Nov. 10, 2023, 8:15 p.m.

Put on notice, temporary ban, permanent ban.

• Foundation 1405 posts
    Nov. 10, 2023, 8:33 p.m.

As far as I am aware, this would be a prohibition that is unique among sites that allow, and encourage the display of members' photos. Of course, the laws of copyright protection apply fully here.

David

• Members 666 posts
    Nov. 10, 2023, 8:36 p.m.

It was on the old DPR. And what is wrong with this. Do you go to any paintings exhibition with brush and start to "improve" paintings?

• Removed user
    Nov. 10, 2023, 9:19 p.m.

OK, thank you for the clarification.

I assume that "someone else" means members of this site ...

• Members 1662 posts
    Nov. 10, 2023, 9:24 p.m.

Are you thinking about something in particular here, or is it a general thought? What about threads like C&C where it is stated in the opening post that people generally agree to have their images edited unless it's clearly stated they don't? Have you seen something like that happening here outside of that?

• Removed user
    Nov. 10, 2023, 9:34 p.m.

Yep, it says:

"Image contribution guidelines

Only post photos that you own. You own the content you post on DPReview or any affiliates (please refer to our terms for more information). That being said, please only post content that you created or personally own, meaning, don’t post content that is trademarked or copyrighted by someone other than you.

Ask before you edit or just don’t do it. Yes, images posted are public, but please be respectful of other user’s content. Do not edit or otherwise alter and repost another user’s content, without express permission from that user."

No need for rhetoric.

• Members 303 posts
    Nov. 10, 2023, 9:52 p.m.

That someone would download another's image, edit it and then post it back without permission of the owner of the image is absolutely reprehensible. The image is sole property of the person that took it. Not only is it simply common courtesy - it's pretty much the law. If the owner of the image gives implied permission such as an C&C post that is one thing. But for someone to download an image posted without the permission either implied or directly of the owner - that is a whole different kettle of fish.

How hard is it to ask permission? Answer, not very. My vote is anyone that does this should be banned from the site.

• Members 1662 posts
    Nov. 10, 2023, 10:21 p.m.

I actually have to admit having done that to two of your shots posted here in order to show more effectively what I mean. Even though I've included your username in the uploads and posted those images in direct reply to your messages, I'm always absolutely willing to delete them. But why haven't you mentioned that you object to that then?

• Members 2285 posts
    Nov. 10, 2023, 10:41 p.m.

exactlly, its a photography site for god sake. you expess skill,story telling and emotion with images not the keyboard. anyway i dont seem to have that problem my images are that good anyway 😁😂😎🙄

• Nov. 10, 2023, 10:43 p.m.

This is an interesting conundrum.

Someone posts a picture here.

Scenario 1: Someone downloads it and treat it as theirs.
    There is NOTHING we can do to stop someone else downloading and using it (modified or not) elsewhere. That is the nature of the internet, I'm afraid.

Scenario 2: Download it, modify it and post it back here to show some point that has been or will be discussed.
    Is this inherently wrong? There is no deceit here - recognition (implicit or expressed) that the original author is the owner is there.

Now, if we find out that scenario 1 is happening, we could, if we know who it is and it is provable, ban the person concerned.

But what do we do with scenario 2? This is a photo site and people may expect their photos to be critiqued and for help to be offered in many ways - this is just one of them. I don't think we need to do anything (except maybe say thank you?).

If you are worried about the first scenario, don't post pictures.
    If you are worried about the second one, then say so when you post your picture.

These are just my thoughts.

Alan

• Members 177 posts
    Nov. 10, 2023, 11:01 p.m.

How about giving members the option of saying okay or not okay to edit their images?

• Members 510 posts
    Nov. 10, 2023, 11:26 p.m.
    x.jpg

JPG, 96.7 KB, uploaded by Greg on Nov. 10, 2023.

• Members 118 posts
    Nov. 11, 2023, 12:03 a.m.

In a photography discussion forum, if I say that I don't want my photo to be edited, this can be understood as: My photo is perfect and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. Certainly no one will edit it, but neither will they comment on it or suggest improvements.

• Members 666 posts
    Nov. 11, 2023, 12:42 a.m.

It can be commented on, suggestions can be made. If somebody wants to edit your image, he/she can ask permission. And the author will be the one who decide what to do.
    @AlanSh
    Now do I have to wright after every image I've posted "Please do not edit it without permission"? Shouldn't this to be a norm?