• Members 520 posts
    April 9, 2023, 2:13 p.m.

A smartphone is nice if you want the look of a small pupil, but you can clearly see by looking at the back of a smartphone that a small pupil is the only possibility. How can you replicate the 55mm pupil of the RX10 at "600mm" with a smartphone?

• Members 520 posts
    April 9, 2023, 2:25 p.m.

It's a bit like an indoor amusement park, except that you can't get into the roller-coaster; only merchandise can ride it.

• Foundation 1426 posts
    April 9, 2023, 6:25 p.m.

I agree. I carry my Sony RX100 Va when space is at a premium, and it produces excellent results, though most of the time the Canon R6 is my preferred camera.

David

• Members 63 posts
    April 10, 2023, 6:51 a.m.

I am afraid that my family will not like this! 😉

• Members 19 posts
    April 15, 2023, 11:32 p.m.

You don't have to stop pixel-peeping. The 1" sensor Sony photographs hold up very well to close scrutiny. I use my RX10iv and RX100vii a lot more than my Full Frame.

• Members 19 posts
    April 15, 2023, 11:36 p.m.

I personally hate using my iPhone for photography.

• Members 244 posts
    April 16, 2023, 12:08 a.m.

I have owned FF canons and Leica cameras. Canon APS-C and Fuji APS-C. I have also owned an Olympus e-P2…….

I still own a Fuji X-T4 and some long glass for birding.

Why do I tell you this?

Because my iPhone 14 pro max’s main camera has truly opened my eyes. Shooting proraw at 48mp (built in app or proCamera app) is, for me, jaw droppingly good (in good light) and weighs nothing. I am headed to Europe soon and the iPhone will be the ONLY camera that I take. If you do “documentary” work while on vacation, a smartphone may be all you need?

OP, I think that you may wish to consider a current generation iphone or android device as part of your decision process. My personal goal this year is to use my iPhone for “everything” (except when long glass is needed). I really want to push myself to see what is possible and, the great part about this experiment is that the camera weighs nothing, has no bulk, produces potentially stunning raw imagery that LR handles well, and it’s always in my pocket. No need for extra flurf (chargers, batteries, etc). It’s ready when I am.

• Members 63 posts
    April 16, 2023, 12:55 p.m.

Thanx for the additional opinions and statements. Keep going, more food for thought... ;-)

• Members 84 posts
    April 18, 2023, 4:11 p.m.

Not sure if what I have to say is valid, because my photographic needs are probably different than most. Most of the photography I do is an adjunct to my real passion of birddogs and upland bird hunting in remote, rugged places in the fall and winter; and my lesser passion of off-shore sailing in the spring and summer. When I'm trying to manage two super-athletic dogs in difficult terrain, while carrying all sort of things, from gallons of water, first aid supplies, food, ammo, etc, while climbing though thick cover that will tear off anything not very securely affixed to my person; and trying to gun, there is simply no way I can deal with a large camera like an RX10 or any sort of ILC. The same things are true while off-shore in a small sailboat - things are very busy and wet. So, I stick an RX100 VII in my pocket. Here on a rainy day in Montana in the motorhome:

10-14-21 - Best part of a cold rainy day.jpg

Probably 95% of my upland hunting images, east and west, are taken with that battered and abused little camera.

1-4-23 - The flush - 3.jpg

It is more difficult to get good images with the little RX100 than with a big ILC and a sack of lenses, but with some effort, it can produce decent results afield.

9-15-22 - Late day Huns.jpg

10-25-22 - Flyin Bliss.jpg

Same thing when sailing - I wouldn't want to be messing with a big ILC and a bunch of lenses for a number of reasons:

Sporty Sailing.jpg

That said, if I am guiding and don't need to gun; or if we are just out running the dogs in the off-season; or if all I am doing is photography, I can manage an ILC and lenses. I find it much easier to capture good images in diverse and/or difficult settings with my ILC (Fuji XT2 and XT5 and a bunch of lenses). Also (I'm anything but a pixel peeper!!), the IQ is clearly better with an APS-C sensor (almost impossible to see here where I only post reduced res pics, but easy to see when printing, etc).

1-26-23 - B&W Clivia.jpg

1-22-22 - Seed storage room.jpg

2-19-23 - Late day snow geese - 6.jpg

While no one can make such decisions for another person, I'd keep the RX100 and the ILC and get rid of the RX10, which is as big as an ILC without the benefits.

Best Regards,

Greg

Sporty Sailing.jpg

JPG, 1.5 MB, uploaded by GregHartman on April 18, 2023.

2-19-23 - Late day snow geese - 6.jpg

JPG, 1012.0 KB, uploaded by GregHartman on April 18, 2023.

1-22-22 - Seed storage room.jpg

JPG, 944.5 KB, uploaded by GregHartman on April 18, 2023.

1-26-23 - B&W Clivia.jpg

JPG, 715.8 KB, uploaded by GregHartman on April 18, 2023.

10-25-22 - Flyin Bliss.jpg

JPG, 2.3 MB, uploaded by GregHartman on April 18, 2023.

9-15-22 - Late day Huns.jpg

JPG, 979.9 KB, uploaded by GregHartman on April 18, 2023.

1-4-23 - The flush - 3.jpg

JPG, 749.2 KB, uploaded by GregHartman on April 18, 2023.

10-14-21 - Best part of a cold rainy day.jpg

JPG, 1.3 MB, uploaded by GregHartman on April 18, 2023.

• Members 142 posts
    April 18, 2023, 8:02 p.m.

Greg,
    Shouldn't those dogs be carrying the RX10 so you don't need to?
    Just keep them from going too deep in the water.
    Sherm

• Members 140 posts
    April 18, 2023, 8:25 p.m.

I like all of them, Greg.
    Terry

• Members 63 posts
    April 19, 2023, 6:28 a.m.

Thanx for your feedback and the fine images, Greg.
    I love my RX10iv, I'd rather sell my MLC instead. 🖖

• Members 360 posts
    April 22, 2023, 4:31 p.m.

Heya. Although not a sony user, I always keep an eye on this brand and on the forums.

Not to hijack this thread, but to explain similarities, I am also at a stage considering changes due to the size and weight constraints.
    I have hard time jumping back into the photography. Now I am building EOS M setup. I would like to take some pictures in the forest, ESPECIALLY while mushrooming. Well, last year it was not picking, it was harvesting. Not only my hands got dirty, but I had hard times walking back to the car. The feeling of "maybe the forest will keep me this time, I'm not gonna make it" crept in as I needed to rest every 100 steps on my way back with that load. I absolutely CANNOT imagine hauling with M6, three lenses and supportive gear on top of my load. But I absolutely can imagine that with RX100.

That makes me thinking too. DPeview camera comparison tool though shows significant difference in image quality. So I am stuck in my mind.

Then there is this Oppo Find X6 pro phone, that is not globally released, but can be purchased, and all sensors are quite large (1"; 1/1.56"; 1/1.56", biggest on the market).

While the phone or compact camera needs just moderately clean pocket/pouch, anything "better" turns into full-gear bag. Smaller or larger, doesn't matter.

So I hear you. The commitment for better gear needs to rise exponentially, and at some point, one has to draw the line.

And noone said you cannot change mind in time! As long as you can afford it, do not feel much remorse for spending on yourself. We only live once. Get the compact cam, do some tests and comparisons, try that, and sell the less liked setup. How about that?

• Members 63 posts
  • Members 71 posts
    April 23, 2023, 4:46 p.m.
  • Members 360 posts
    April 23, 2023, 5:36 p.m.

Bhaha. But it is a thing today! There are news circling around. Young people are buying lower-tier cameras for that look. If I look for used gear, these are either all gone/bought or the prices are outrageous, like 50% of current powershots. We must be old fossils, not understanding the fashion then. :-)

• Members 520 posts
    April 23, 2023, 5:57 p.m.

All one needs to do to get the "small sensor look" on a large sensor is to stop the lens down to a small pupil. Perhaps it is really the "small pupil look".

• Members 1 post
    April 23, 2023, 6:04 p.m.

As the owner of an RX100 i and an RX100 iii and an RX10 iii I'll say that the image quality is all I can ask for, to the point that I gave my A77 and 70-400G to my niece who is getting into bird photography. BUT, then I wanted to get into macro photography with my Minolta 100mm f2.8 macro lens, one of the sharpest ever made, and I didn't have a body for it. So I bought a used SLT A55V and am happy once again. The RX series will do some closeups but not what I wanted.

Irony alert: I sold my original A55 to buy the A77 and now I own one again.

• Foundation 1426 posts
    April 23, 2023, 6:48 p.m.

I also have an RX-100-Va, which takes photos comparable to my Canon R6. It is not as easy to use as the R6 (you need to practice!), and the menus are a mess and unmemorable; but when I dont want to take the full kit, I am quite happy with the results from this camera. See the reviews on DPReview for the significant difference between Mk.Va (which I have) and Mk.VII.

Here is a 100% crop of a photo that I took with my Rx-100-Va.

DSC00885_DxO-b.jpg

Best,
    David

DSC00885_DxO-b.jpg

JPG, 567.2 KB, uploaded by davidwien on April 23, 2023.

• Members 360 posts
    April 24, 2023, 2:50 p.m.

Very nice shot!

Indeed. The RX100 can take awesome images, no doubt about that it is that immense feeling of redundancy when any camera does not deliver it all. It's not the camera issue. Its the FOMO issue.

EOS M6 system - I might not take it with me.
    Sony RX - might not suffice here and there with its focal range (especially wide).
    Phone camera - might not reach the desired image quality.

I'm so unsatisfied with about everything! I need to grow up. 🤦😂

• Members 63 posts
    April 24, 2023, 4:10 p.m.

Good points, I can relate... ;-)