• Members 62 posts
    March 29, 2023, 3:28 p.m.

FWIW, this is my second copy of the lens. The first copy didn’t impress me nearly as much, though it could just have been a bad choice of initial test shoots. There might have been a lot of sample variation with this lens?

Also, from what I’ve seen, under the right circumstances it flares like crazy:

live.staticflickr.com/65535/52778613145_9086c518a0_6k.jpg

Even without obvious artifacts, there can be a lot of veiling flare.

• Members 280 posts
    March 30, 2023, 3:25 p.m.

The styling of the Sigma fp is by Iwasaki:
    Iwasaki-design-studio.net

• Members 13 posts
    April 7, 2023, 7:37 a.m.
  • Members 36 posts
    April 28, 2023, 12:29 p.m.

Absolute fan of this quirky little camera!

Well not that little anymore with the lcd viewfinder, but anyway :-).

I bought it in kit with 45mm f/2.8, and later added 24mm f/3.5, and recently the 90mm f/2.8, as I love the build quality and handling of these.

I have the small Sigma grip attached to it, and wonder if the Smallrig one is nicer/fuller in hand, as I find the sigma to be sometimes a bit small...

Greg

• Members 3 posts
    May 1, 2023, 5:23 a.m.

Greeting FP Users
    I agree with everything you said, but I'll say this, the FP has the best IQ of any camera. It's as close as you can get to a FF Foveon from a bayer sensor. How Sigma did it I'll never know, but Kudos to Sigma for doing this it is what set Sigma different from the rest.
    I'm adapting my Minolta MD lenses to it, and WOW does it look like Kodachrome 25. Of all my cameras my SDQ-H and FP with the same grip you have and the EVF is the most comfortable in my hand.

So go out and enjoy
    Roger J.

• Members 62 posts
    May 1, 2023, 5:32 p.m.

As much as the fp is perfect for legacy lenses thanks to the color shading compensation that can be saved per lens, I'm also considering that 90mm f/2.8 as modern Sigma lenses are just very, very good.

I hope the upcoming Foveon camera retains some of the design choices from the fp, including the dual set of tripod mounts aligned with the center of the lens in both horizontal and vertical position. Every camera should have that.

• Members 36 posts
    May 5, 2023, 11:23 p.m.

I ordered recently the Smallrig wooden handle, it arrived today. It was almost on order/unavailable everywhere, but found a last piece on a Cseck video website :-).

This thing is tight to put on the camera, you have to slide it from above to the bottom, with a small angle for the holding pin, then screw it. Once installed, it has a very reassuring feel it won't go anywhere. I was not so confident on the small Sigma grip, even it never moved or anything, but its floating design was a bit more worrying me.

Anyway, happy with it, and I like the look of the wood. It adds a bit of Alpa vibe to it :-).