• April 24, 2023, 11:54 a.m.

This is a snapshot of the forum postings as of this morning. You will need to click on the picture and magnify it to see.

image.png

image.png

PNG, 125.5 KB, uploaded by AlanSh on April 24, 2023.

• Members 435 posts
    April 24, 2023, 12:30 p.m.

Nature and wildlife is the interesting one. Might have to join in a bit more :-) and Fuji in the brands is another interesting one.

Thanks Alan, good to know.

Danny.

• April 24, 2023, 1:24 p.m.

I'm glad its useful. It's also one of the tools we will use when determining if a forum should be kept or not.

Alan

• Members 244 posts
    April 24, 2023, 1:54 p.m.

Cool stuff!

I think some pruning over time might make some sense. There is already some ‘duplication” in my mind. For instance: What is the difference between “Mac and ios talk” and “iOS talk”? And, why is ‘mobile photography’ in a computer section and not, say, next to “bridge cameras” in a photography section?

No worries though, things will get sorted over time.

• Members 284 posts
    April 24, 2023, 1:59 p.m.

You need to consider that we are 3500 members or so, I would expect that number multiply 20x the moment DPR shuts down.

But since they are still open and with very shady information regarding their real status, most people still believe it might not go down after all.

• Members 284 posts
    April 24, 2023, 2:03 p.m.

Yes, ios alone should go and leave one including both Mac & ios.

• Members 510 posts
    April 24, 2023, 2:16 p.m.

@DMCO

Cellphones are known as Mobile Phones in the UK, Ireland and Australia, to name but a few countries.

iOS talk equals… iPhones.
    Mac and iOS talk equals… Mac computers and iPads …touchscreen tablets.

Smartphones are computers.
    The A16 Bionic chip in the ‌iPhone 14 Pro‌ features 16 billion transistors, a 6-core CPU, a 5-core GPU, and a 16-core Neural Engine.

Historical records state that the transistor was invented Dec. 23, 1947 at AT&T’s Bell Laboratories by scientists William Shockley, John Bardeen, and Walter Brattain.

Man… swift fly the years. lol

• Members 244 posts
    April 24, 2023, 2:35 p.m.

Digital devices that take pictures made by Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus, Leica, and all others have operating systems and chips too. They take light and do a million calculations with it to make it into a raw image that you can see. They they also turn images into Jpgs right in the camera using canned software if you want them too. Just saying.

A camera is a device that takes pictures.

Anyway, this is not the thread for this and I apologize to the OP for posting my thoughts here.

• April 24, 2023, 2:40 p.m.

I'm not convinced. I think that a lot of DPR members will just not go anywhere.

• Members 510 posts
    April 24, 2023, 2:42 p.m.

"Never apologize and never explain--it's a sign of weakness".
    The Duke. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

lol

• Members 1662 posts
    April 24, 2023, 3:11 p.m.

I think you‘re probably right! But there still is the possibility of a significant influx of people.

• Members 284 posts
    April 24, 2023, 3:16 p.m.

Time will tell, everyone took for a fact that DPR was closing, then Richard Butler went from "we are closing the 10th" to "time will tell"... leaving the door open to speculation, so for most members there is no need to jump to another ship if still floats.

Each one has their reasons for migrating, personally mine were in order of importance:

Banned for saying Amazon should be renamed “AmaSony”

Awful forums moderation with few exceptions (already discussed here).

Arrogance from some of the staff, even believing they could create a new standard for naming sensor sizes (which was a total fail)

Bias toward Fuji and Sony and against Canon, Nikon and Pentax.

Terrible samples gallery (except from Gannon and Carey and both leave).

No more DPRtv. (least important point, though)

But I agree, some might decide not to join any other community.

I hope this place thrives regardless of whether DPR closes or not.

• Members 535 posts
    April 24, 2023, 3:26 p.m.

I’ve deferred from making a case for changing the latter use to iPad OS (in light of Apple’s current naming scheme) because, in the grand scheme, I can live with the duplication and cross pollination.

• Members 368 posts
    April 24, 2023, 4:36 p.m.

Hi,

Yep. As the frog said: Time's fun when you're having flies!

It seems like only yesterday I was a new hire engineer at IBM being put to work on this brand new product idea they called the model 5150. Aka the Personal Computer.

And, man! Was that design Fast! My school teaching microcomputer had a 1 MHz 6502 and here I was making a prototype which had a 4.77 MHz 8088. ;)

And Kodak was interesting IBM in these 1 MP CCD sensors we could make use of for machine vision on board production lines.

Stan

Amateur Photographer
    Professional Electronics Development Engineer

• Members 284 posts
    April 24, 2023, 4:55 p.m.

????

• Members 1383 posts
    April 24, 2023, 4:55 p.m.

Thank you for this. I've been curious. I did forum stats to track activity for another photography forum for 4 years and for me these were the most valuable:
    -Threads per section per month
    -Posts per section per month
    -Ave. new threads per day per section per month
    -Individual Posters per section per month (how many different people engaged there per month)

I tried counting a lot of different things over time but these ended up being the most helpful in sorting out which sections were the most/least active, which threads were the most engaging within the sections, which sections were sustaining interest over time, and the last one helped sort out superposters whose activity may inflate activity levels with back and forth stuff. Of course like all such things, the truth lies somewhere in between the numbers but numbers do help.

• Members 209 posts
    April 24, 2023, 4:56 p.m.

Using both iPhone and iPad for photography purposes they are mostly the same so I'd prefer having them in one place.