• Members 10 posts
    May 10, 2023, 9:48 p.m.

I like the dials on my x-H1, period as well as its high performance (as of 2018)! I think PASM format is not for me. I am a stills photographer and I hoped to buy the X-T5 until Fuji crippled its performance just to come under the X-H2 price by couple of hundred dollars. Now I don't want the x-H2/2s because of PASM and I don't want a crippled X-T5. Which means I am passing up on this generation of X-bodies. Nikon just introduced Z8 by not crippling the Z9. FUJI would have been wiser by full-featuring the X-T5 at the same price as the X-H2. This is a textbook example why a Marketing Dept should not run a camera business.

• Members 1521 posts
    May 10, 2023, 10:02 p.m.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "crippled its performance" exactly for the X-T5?

• Members 260 posts
    May 10, 2023, 10:07 p.m.

for example EVF, video specs... - however the OP needs to compare X-T5 vs X-T4... not vs X-H2 and his gallbladder will be healthy

• Members 1737 posts
    May 10, 2023, 10:07 p.m.

Interesting. I don't think that Fuji crippled the GFX 100 performance when they came out with the GFX 100S. One battery, no T/S finder, lower res EVF, PASM. So maybe it's not a company-wide pattern.

• Members 177 posts
    May 10, 2023, 10:36 p.m.

So go with a brand and model that has the features you want. This sounds more like a textbook example of whining.

• Members 10 posts
    May 10, 2023, 10:55 p.m.

FUJI deliberately removed features from X-T5 to distinguish it from X-H2. Some examples are smaller buffer, no CF Express card for the fastest write speeds, no drive can be attached underneath the body. Nikon didn't cripple theZ* and as such they will now sell boat-loads of then at the given price.

• Members 260 posts
    May 10, 2023, 10:55 p.m.

he has no options brand wise and models are just one :-)

• Members 10 posts
    May 10, 2023, 10:56 p.m.

I would but neither has the features I want in one body. I disagree with your description of my PoV; I am not whining.

• Members 260 posts
    May 10, 2023, 10:57 p.m.

and so does Fuji to people who want Fuji ... you for example not going to buy Nikon Z8 😅

• Members 260 posts
    May 10, 2023, 10:58 p.m.

such as life - but look at the bright side , at least you are not suffering like some people who want many different features in their own bodies...

• Members 10 posts
    May 10, 2023, 11 p.m.

Yes I am not moving over to Nikon. BUT FUJI would have loved to sell to me one of the current gen. bodies which now they will not.

• Members 535 posts
    May 10, 2023, 11:06 p.m.

…and to keep the price point lower than that of the XH2.

You can’t have one without the other.

• Members 10 posts
    May 10, 2023, 11:09 p.m.

Perhaps not, as you point out. Most likely GFX and X have different product management groups. I feel someone at FUJI dropped the ball, since up until this generations the retro design and ergonomics were also associated with the top performing X models. That value proposition distinguished the FUJI X brand from all others and allowed it to gain presence in the market; note that Olympus and LUMIX were unable to get to the same place. Now they extinguished the "magic".

• Members 10 posts
    May 10, 2023, 11:13 p.m.

Of course I agree. As I stated in my original comment I would pay the same price for the same performance. Now in NIKON's strategy Z* comes in at almost the same performance at a lower price. NIKON is doing this to steal share from Canon and Sony by partially balancing out the cost of switching platforms. FUJI X can share some of Canon ans Sony installed base however that isn't something FUJI can rely on with this sort of product positioning.
    I wonder how many FUJI platform owners feel the same...

• Members 177 posts
    May 10, 2023, 11:14 p.m.

My apologies - I missed the part where the OP was forced to buy into Fuji.

• Members 1737 posts
    May 10, 2023, 11:15 p.m.

Well, the GFX 100S is a PASM camera. That bummed a lot of people out, including me. There have been 4 GFX cameras, and 4 different user interfaces. My favorite user interface was the first one, the GFX 50S.

• Members 260 posts
    May 10, 2023, 11:23 p.m.

it is not a strategy - it was their only forced move ... they can't sell more Z9s they were not able to make other cameras with other sensors... Fuji had $$$ to buy 2 different new sensors sensors and put them in 3 different bodies... Nikon had to recycle Z9 sensor

• Members 29 posts
    May 11, 2023, 1:41 a.m.

What's with this whining? For stills there are three differences: EVF, memory buffer and vertical grip addition. Just three points and you're moaning that it's crippled. You want to know what's crippled, see the early Canon DSLRs, like the first 5D.

• Members 16 posts
    May 12, 2023, 8:36 p.m.

Another out of curiosity question for Vartkes. What's wrong with having PASM modes available? 100% of my photography is in one of those modes. Thanks in advance for your input.

• Members 1737 posts
    May 12, 2023, 11:54 p.m.

The traditional Fuji UI had ways to get all those modes, but there was no PASM dial.

Set the lens to auto and set a shutter speed. That's S mode.
    Set the lens to a stop, and set the shutter speed to auto. That's A mode.
    Set both the lens and the shutter speed to auto. That's P mode.
    Set the lens to a stop and the shutter to a speed. That's M mode.

• Members 29 posts
    May 13, 2023, 2:49 p.m.

X-T# series fans wanted a return to a more stills-oriented, old-school user interface, away from the loathsome trend towards smartphone UI that was showing up in the X-T4. And Fuji listened, which I applaud. I think the T5 is also as swellegant aesthetic-design-wise as the beauitul XT100V. It's just not for me, as I'm not an X-Trans fan.

I am starting to feel the tug of a GFX 50mp model. I wish, though, that the current iteration was the GFX 50 S with the IBIS and weight of the 50SII. And I'm horrified that a Nifty-Fifty equivalent would cost $1500.