• May 4, 2023, 2:23 p.m.

It could be that they have already geared up for the next new 'thing' and don't have any spare capacity (along the supply chain or in the manufacturing plant) to be able to do anything else.

Alan

• Members 535 posts
    May 4, 2023, 2:29 p.m.

Not to worry. It’s a play an old Americanism that one shouldn’t assume because it makes an ass out of you and me. (The kind of a lesson a coach writes on a chalkboard.) I tend to twist it to make one party the ass and the other the maker. In this case I was taking on the role of the donkey, and casting no such dispersion towards you.

Rgds.

• Members 284 posts
    May 4, 2023, 2:33 p.m.

That is right too, maybe a Japanese company read (or react) to trends different than the way a western one would do.

Some might consider that the X100v retail price was too low, considering lots of people is willing to pay 2000+ USD for used samples.

One question is, do they need to release a new model when the demand is so high? I guess not, who knows... I guess not until 2024.

• Members 535 posts
    May 4, 2023, 2:38 p.m.

Definitely?

When do you expect the supply of the X100V to improve?

Believe it or not, we’ve increased capacity even more, but the demand keeps growing. We can’t say when we’ll catch up because demand isn’t flat; it continues to grow. But we’re trying our best to catch up.

ᔥ CP+ 2023: Fujifilm interview - 'Our direction is set, there is no middle ground': Digital Photography Review

A Fujifilm representative has publicly stated (and therefor is legally accountable) that they’ve increased production of the X100V. What information do you have that counters this?

• Members 284 posts
    May 4, 2023, 3:39 p.m.

Saying they “Increase production” means nothing. 1 more a month? 1000? Vague as expected from Japanese executives.

My information is this: Zero availability. Where all those freshly produce cameras go?

Yodobashi Japan do not even have it in it's catalogue anymore... BH / Adorama permanently on backorder...

Again, in 3 weeks maybe there will be more I formation, but I doubt it.

• Members 30 posts
    May 4, 2023, 5:32 p.m.

Of course, but the supply that they do have they has been relegated to X-H and X-T bodies (mainstream bodies) while people are dying to buy X100, X-E and X-Pro style bodies. That said, those bodies bring in a different user base and Fuji most likely knows what they are doing more than I do. The X-S20 is next too. As a long time user (meaning the first day of the original X100 being available), I just cannot get behind these bodies. I hope Fuji does not wait too long to sort this mess out and bring the next X100, X-E and X-Pro models out. I think it is out of their control.

• Members 30 posts
    May 4, 2023, 5:36 p.m.

And you will be criticized again... Fuji simply does not make money off of its used products. So, what's left? Are you trying to say that they are trying to elevate their brand by purposely holding back cameras? A publicly traded company doing that? Really? I'm sure its shareholders would love that. They are not a luxury brand and their cameras are not limited editions. They simply cannot get enough parts. It is not a Fuji only problem. Look at the stock of all cameras. Look at the stock in countries that are not the USA, Europe or Japan. It is slim to none for all brands. The one part where you are right is that we can guarantee the next versions will be more expensive. That is happening with all companies and with all products.

• Members 535 posts
    May 4, 2023, 8:11 p.m.

Into the hands of customers who’ve already placed orders. Per my LCS source, the supply has been steady. It just doesn’t meet demand.

• Members 284 posts
    May 4, 2023, 9:57 p.m.

I know, you guys insist those marketing rules do not apply to Fuji, ok, no need to discuss it further.

As far as I know the X100V has become a "limited edition" and it is sold at crazy prices. IF they release another X100, the price tag will be much higher than the X100V one. I would say around $1750, because of the Tiktokers hype. Whatever, what I want is an X-E5 or some sort of baby X-pro!

• Members 83 posts
    May 4, 2023, 10:57 p.m.

I suppose I'm a manufacturing expert (see my comment above), and I would say this - if Fujifilm has a component supply issue, that has impacted production to the point that they can't produce enough to keep pretty much any supplier in-stock, then this this isn't a case of Fujifilm not keeping up with increased sales, it's that they can't even keep up with normal sales volume. So that means they are likely over-capitalized with respect to capacity. So no need for any new assembly lines, becuase the one(s) they currently have are idle for a significant portion of the production schedule.

• Members 30 posts
    May 5, 2023, 12:53 p.m.

Again, this is not a Fuji only problem. Did you live in this world the past 3 or so years?

• Members 284 posts
    May 5, 2023, 5:17 p.m.

Then why any other camera (including Fuji’s current lineup) can be easily found in stock?

The “covid/earthquakes chip shortage argument is kind of old news by now.

• Members 30 posts
    May 5, 2023, 8:57 p.m.

Well, can they all be found in stock for real? In all markets? No. Outside of the big markets? No. I am from the USA but live in Chile. Here in Chile, Fuji is one of the only brands in which the camera stores have some stock. Nikon? Nothing. Canon, slim pickings... etc. Also, we have to understand Fuji is not as major of a buyer as Nikon and Canon and Sony.

So, really... it is old news? There are several articles from reliable sources that say it isn't over yet and that is for mainstream products. Cameras I am sure are affected too. Not all countries dealt with covid the same way.

• Members 535 posts
    May 5, 2023, 11:09 p.m.

Perhaps the supply constraint is the OVF assembly? (Just one possible explanation.)

The X100 series has always been popular within certain circles but it’s never truly been a high volume camera and I’m not surprised that, even if operating at peak efficiency, the production capacity would be challenged by the TikTok demand.

Meanwhile, as I’ve repeated twice, my local camera shop continues to deliver new X100V cameras to customers at a steady rate. These cameras are sold at MSRP (No limited edition premium) to the people who put their name on a waiting list instead of waiting to find it in-stock. The same way I got mine in the early days of lockdown. I don’t believe the X100V has ever been listed as in-stock or on display at this local store. (I’ve been asked to “demo” mine a few times.) They arrive. Calls are made to those waiting. They’re delivered. Because of high demand, the list never shrinks.

I’m not interested in going round-and-round. You believe Fujifilm is obscuring the truth and not producing (and selling!) a popular camera in an elaborate scheme to build brand equity. I believe that’s poppycock. Leica aside, camera market isn’t healthy enough to play that game.

• Members 17 posts
    May 6, 2023, 7:24 a.m.

The masses are the core base if you are selling anything, so much as enthusiasts love the Pro or E ranges Fuji has to make and sell lines that sell in numbers to make them profitable.

DOI I am keen on the X-E? line, which also seems marginal but going forwards I'm happy with a line of bigger, fully featured camera plus a line of small, basically pocketable ones.

• Members 164 posts
    May 6, 2023, 8:49 a.m.

I personally think that’s a part of it, and it ties in with the X-Pro3 being discontinued since it’s widely believed (if not known for a fact) that the two cameras share identical hybrid finder assemblies, so if the X100V is the runaway success of the two as it appears, it would make sense to redirect the supply that way.

I also think there’s probably an inherent shortage now on the older 26mp X-Trans IV sensor and processor. That sensor is more than four years old now and Fuji would originally have ordered a set amount based on projected sales for the whole X-Trans IV range (from the XT3 all the way through to the XT4) - it’s quite possible the recent success of the X100V and other models has blown past that and they’re now having to produce more at higher cost and in smaller batches. This might also be part of the reason why the XS20 is rumoured to be based on that older chip rather than the newer 40mp sensor - to get better value out of larger volumes.

As to the title of this thread, and the only camera I’m interested in, I’m hopeful we’ll see an X-Pro4 - but not soon. I think they’re taking some time to get it right and ride the wave of this new found demand for Fuji rangefinder-style cameras.

• Members 30 posts
    May 6, 2023, 11:35 a.m.

Well looking at B&H, most newer cameras are in stock… so Mr. F is right that in that market, Fuji is seemingly having trouble. The Ricoh GR series aren’t in stock either and it’s because they are also popular on social media. I mean the X-S10 and it’s three newest cameras are available too. Same in Chile.

So, both the X-E4 and X-Pro3 are discontinued. I think the X-E4 was just too cheap to direct resources towards. The X-Pro3 had the back screen issue and people are still getting that defect. So, maybe directing it’s parts towards the X100V could be true. So, in hindsight I do not think Mr. F is completely wrong in the fact that something weird is holding Fuji back. I still do not think Fuji is doing it on purpose in order to reposition these cameras as luxury items or limited edition. However, discontinuing two seemingly popular cameras just at the same time they are gaining popularity does not seem smart. Also, as a long time user, I feel Fuji has been concentrating on making the same camera types as everyone else. Yet, those seem popular too. Hopefully our (those who like the RF shaped bodies) day will come sometime soon.

• Members 83 posts
    May 7, 2023, 9:09 p.m.

Sorry but you lost me at "something weird". So yeah, you are entitled to believe what you want but my entire career in manufacturing tells me this is a supply issue despite some local camera store in Chile getting the occasional camera in.