• Members 164 posts
    May 8, 2023, 9:41 a.m.

Interestingly, Fuji Rumours are now saying that the XT4 and XT30 II are also now discontinued - with the successor to the XS10 widely expected to be announced at the event this month. That’s basically the entire X-Trans IV range ended except for the X100V. On the one hand, not so surprising as we’re clearly now in the X-Trans V era with the XT5 etc, but on the other, it is really unusual for them to have stopped sales on so many cameras without any replacements available or even announced - the XT30, XE4, X-Pro3, all seemingly orphaned (not the right word but you know what I mean).

To me it lends credence to the fact that this is a supply issue, and that the spike in demand specifically for the X100V has meant they’ve had to cannibalise production on the other lines to ensure enough fourth-generation parts are available.

• Members 30 posts
    May 8, 2023, 10:38 a.m.

The something weird is that they discontinued many models without replacements even being rumored. That is a first for Fuji. That is weird. The second weird part is most likely to put all of those parts towards the X100V. That is a first as well. So, where did I say it is not a supply issue? I simply said B&H has most cameras, other than older Fuji cameras and the Ricoh GR3 series, in stock. These were low selling models historically compared to more mainstream cameras but now are hot. I think Fuji pulling these models at the wrong time could be a bad move. That said, I am sure they are not happy about it either.

My point about Chile is we do not have most cameras in stock. Just because a big market camera store like B&H seemingly has everything does not mean that the world´s camera stores have caught up with stock or that the issues are over. Based on what I said, I think you can see I think it is supply chain related too. I think I am just sour that my favorite camera (X-Pro series) has been discontinued without any replacement in sight.

• Members 12 posts
    May 8, 2023, 6:36 p.m.

I wouldn’t worry about the next generation of cameras. I think they’re all coming. I think when places like B&H use the term “discontinued” it just means that the manufacturers aren’t accepting new orders from their retailers, and says nothing about the manufacturer’s future plans, or other markets. It’s an unfortunate choice of words.

• Members 303 posts
    May 8, 2023, 9:16 p.m.

I just checked - Amazon still has XPro3's. I suspect that B&H plays a little loose speaking for Fujifilm. Discontinued at B&H or any other retailer means they don't have any more and right not can't get any more. If Fuji has sold its inventory of XPro3 - they will need to decide if they want to make another run of the camera or if they want to wait until a replacement is ready. Of course social media blows up independent if they have the facts or not. Rumor sites make money off of eyeballs and one has to wonder about their credibility. The Internet is a classic game of "telephone." After something bounces around for awhile - the correlation with what is true and what is real is often little to none.

My question is the XPro3 is a last generation sensor and last generation processor. They are still running at the same price about 2K. Why would anyone be interested in the XPro3 now anyway.

• Members 164 posts
    May 8, 2023, 11 p.m.

Hmm - are you sure about that? Here in the UK Amazon only has a couple of used examples, and when I tried to look at the US Amazon I only found some more used examples, and one seller selling a few new Dura Silver XP3’s (specifically) for $2499 - it wasn’t Amazon themselves, they didn’t have any other colours, and they’re clearly hoping to scalp people.

I think this is bunk. Firstly in this case, the rumour sites are simply reporting a fact, that B&H and other big retailers have marked the model as discontinued, and are no longer taking orders.

When a site like B&H says something is discontinued, it means it’s discontinued - and I’d invite you to cite even one example where a retailer “undiscontinued” a camera because there was new supply. It’s never happened, because no retailer is fool enough to stop taking names on orders they may still be able to fulfil. If B&H have stopped those sales and marked the XP3 discontinued it’s because Fujifilm have told them in no uncertain terms that there won’t be any more forthcoming.

That’s a supporting argument for discontinuing the model, as Fuji have done. I don’t think there’s anything too surprising about the fact that an almost four year old camera is discontinued, it’s just odd that neither the X-Pro, XE or XTx0 lines have any successor even rumoured ahead of them coming off the market this way.

• Members 12 posts
    May 9, 2023, 4:04 a.m.

Ah, but when B&H says discontinued, they’re referring to that particular product for their business, and not a camera line for a manufacturer. It would certainly be nice if manufacturers were a little more transparent about their product lines. At least where they might see little risk. I do appreciate Fujifilm’s lens roadmap.

• Members 83 posts
    May 9, 2023, 2:17 p.m.

Are you asking why would anyone be interested in an X-Pro3 at $2k or why would anyone be interested in an X-Pro3 because of its processor?

• Members 1 post
    May 9, 2023, 3:24 p.m.

Fuji X-pro2II

• Members 30 posts
    May 9, 2023, 3:54 p.m.

Well, that's not true. They use "No Longer Available" or "Temporarily Out of Stock" for those types. Discontinued is discontinued.

• Members 79 posts
    May 9, 2023, 5:12 p.m.

It’s a play on the word “assume.”

• Members 12 posts
    May 9, 2023, 9:26 p.m.

Here is B&H's response...

2023-05-09_14-22-50.png

2023-05-09_14-22-50.png

PNG, 30.4 KB, uploaded by GOSoftware on May 9, 2023.

• Members 79 posts
    May 9, 2023, 9:57 p.m.

Yup. I've read this sort of crap (artificially holding back supply) in numerous places with respect to many other products... and 99% of the time, it's bogus, as I'm quite confident that it is here. When you have a highly exclusive product, it's possible to play that game and even get away with it. And, when that happens, it's usually patently obvious and quite possibly a pattern with certain suppliers and exclusive products. What's more, companies that can get away with it usually have a long history of selling those exclusive products at premium prices. I seriously doubt that Fuji could artificially constrain availability and end up with that as a net positive for their business, even if it might have a positive short term impact. Supply chain and other manufacturing issues are nothing new, and can be very disruptive, as I'm sure they are here.

But... that said, it's always more fun to bask in conspiracy theories rather than the more obvious supply chain issues that many companies in many industries are dealing with all the time.

• Members 30 posts
    May 9, 2023, 11:19 p.m.

I meant the X-Pro3 was discontinued, meaning it is no longer sold, not that there will not be an X-Pro4. Nobody here thinks there won't be an X-Pro4.

• Members 164 posts
    May 10, 2023, 6:54 a.m.

Or that B&H would know for sure either way (unless it was imminent).

• Members 303 posts
    May 11, 2023, 2:26 p.m.

The conspiracy theorist love to conspire. But at the end of the day - Occam's Razor provides a better explanation.

Truman

• Members 2 posts
    May 12, 2023, 4:58 p.m.

As someone who once worked for the Swatch Group the idea of holding them up as marketing geniuses is pretty funny. They're the most inept company I've ever worked for. Likening the MoonSwatch (basically a design rip off of another Swatch Group brand, Omega) to the X100V makes no sense. Swatch as a brand relies on a dwindling band of fans/ collectors who buy their limited edition releases whatever is released to add to their collections.

• Members 79 posts
    May 12, 2023, 6:22 p.m.

Yup, as with most things, the simplest explanation is almost always the best. And, as you state, it's so much more fun to conjure up wild conspiracy theories and spend a lot of time hashing them over, rather than simply accepting the real possibility that it's a legitimate supply chain or manufacturing issue. Makes for so much more fun forum chatter as well.

• Members 6 posts
    May 15, 2023, 1:16 p.m.

"Traditionally, 4 is unlucky because it is sometimes pronounced shi, which is the word for death. Sometimes levels or rooms with 4 don't exist in hospitals or hotels."

(see en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_superstitions)

PS ...and howzat for Occam's Razor.

• Members 535 posts
    May 15, 2023, 1:56 p.m.

Both Canon and Nikon seem okay using the number 4 as a model designator.

• Members 209 posts
    May 15, 2023, 4:36 p.m.

and so is Fuji nowadays: X-E4, X-T4

• Members 6 posts
    May 16, 2023, 1:09 a.m.

Yeah but....were these candidates for the Occam's Razor? Fuji XPro-4 is. =)

• Members 535 posts
    May 16, 2023, 12:55 p.m.

Everything is a candidate.