• Members 31 posts
    April 10, 2023, 1:58 p.m.

Hope for a lot of even better shots of harriers. Yesterday there were 5 in the area. One female didn't like me and shouted it out. Unfortunately too backlit so this crop of a male is the better from the day :-)

DSC01966.jpg

JPG, 1.7 MB, uploaded by adk38 on April 10, 2023.

• Members 369 posts
    April 10, 2023, 2:29 p.m.

Thank you for sharing your photo. May I ask, where was the photo taken? I'm no expert at ID'ing birds but, based on the dark earth-tone belly and head, I would lean toward this being an immature female. Although, there's no banding on the underside of the wing...which is inconsistent for immature harriers in North America. Is this a European bird, a marsh harrier by chance?

I love observing and photographing harriers and am so looking forward to their return to my area (northern Arizona, USA) as the weather warms and the season turns to summer.

• Members 31 posts
    April 11, 2023, 9:39 a.m.

Hi Bill. Yes it's a marsh harrier. I'm Denmark, northern Europe. They came a bit early this year and at the moment they are trying to find territory for the nest(s). Will be fun to follow them :-) I believe it's a male but not quite sure about their transition from young to adult?? :-)

• Members 14 posts
    April 11, 2023, 8:32 p.m.

You got a good start into Harrier season, well done! Looking forward to more!
    Here in the alpine regions of Austria marshes are scarce, so I took below shot yesterday on an Easter trip to Slovenia.
    PG9_3603.DenLH_cr.jpg

PG9_3603.DenLH_cr.jpg

JPG, 1.3 MB, uploaded by kohinoor on April 11, 2023.