76 - 80
9 votes, 7% of total.
  • 9 votes, 7% of total.
81+
6 votes, 5% of total.
  • 6 votes, 5% of total.
  • Members 509 posts
    May 12, 2023, 9:28 a.m.

You can get as picky and self righteous as you like, you have that right, but it would be nice if you were to also engage in some self-analysis. What you do isn't necessarily wrong, but you'd be so much better off if you were to adopt a more congenial, collegiate, understanding, productive approach, IMO, instead of endlessly chasing people (someone) down. I don't mean this as a criticism, I just think it would be healthier for you. I think many of us (me included) could benefit from the same philosophy.

• Members 3334 posts
    May 12, 2023, 9:30 a.m.

I'll take advice like that seriously when I see it also directed towards those that first engage with me and not just towards me.

• Members 509 posts
    May 12, 2023, 9:40 a.m.

My daughter is 16. Like most people of her age she likes social videos. But she despises videos for learning stuff. Her bedroom is piled up with books. It's not so much age that defines the culture, it's the level of effort people are prepared to put in.

Interestingly, I've seen a lot of young people switch on subtitles while watching movies. They don't seem to be able to take in the content from video/audio alone. I'm not exactly sure why, but my observations are that video is the medium of choice because they multi-task a lot, and video is easier to do that with than reading a book. Has anyone seen that video by the young physicist accusing string theorists of being liars? She engages in a quite deep analysis of science communication over the last few decades whilst playing an intense video action game rather well, and without missing a beat.

How many of the older generation could film themselves discussing exposure and dynamic range at Jim Kasson's level of detail for a whole hour whilst playing space invaders to completion? I find it remarkable, but it does change how the young do things.

• Members 48 posts
    May 13, 2023, 2:23 p.m.

Your just bragging now , you must have been one of those posh kids , or your just younger than me .
    We had to walk to the end of the street to use the payphone on the corner if we wanted to make a call !

• Members 48 posts
    May 13, 2023, 2:32 p.m.

The only time I got asked my age in my local was once when it was my 18th birthday.
    I had to work out quickly how old I'd be if I'd been 18 when I started drinking in there .
    I said 23 as it seemed about right . ;)

Kept us off the streets anyway .

• Members 72 posts
    May 13, 2023, 2:56 p.m.

Payphone? Luxury!
    We had to hop down road on one leg to ask the mill owner if we could use his carrier pigeon.

• Members 368 posts
    May 13, 2023, 6:48 p.m.

Hi,

I used an old tube transmitter, with a crystal, to talk around the world using Morse Code beginning in 1969 at age eight.

That was good because we were so rural that we were on a 12 party line. Yes, twelve homes and one phone line. We even had to hear two other ringers. We were the long single ring. The others were two shorter rings and three very short rings.

Stan - W2CK

Yeah. I'm still at it with the radios. ;)

• Members 535 posts
    May 13, 2023, 7:24 p.m.

There is a "revived" Telegram channel available for anybody who minds registering
    [t.me/dprevived_Chat]

( and also a Discord server )

That account has been closed by Telegram.

IMPORTANT NOTE
    Never enter a private chat with somebody you don't know, or you just saw once in a public forum
    (Messenger, Skype, WhatsApp, Telegram, Lice, etc )

Sure,
    and it could be a nice and fine way to get some Boomer on the Hook
    Warning.....

For me, it was a 1km walk to reach the Apothecary/Pharmacy, and ask to use their phone for emergency calls only.
    That way all the village was able to send/receive fast messages the same day during open hours
    <Half the family was in another nation the other side of the Alps>

( otherwise, telegrams were the only mean to transmit urgent news - at the station 8km away )

@bobn2, 1956 what a year !!!!

• Members 1737 posts
    May 14, 2023, 7:16 p.m.

Not me.

• Members 1737 posts
    May 14, 2023, 7:17 p.m.

And it was uphill both ways.

• Members 746 posts
    May 14, 2023, 11:52 p.m.

Who remembers party lines, with the old crank handle ringer, and a basic knowledge of Morse code required to know if it was your call? Ha ha ha. And the sticky beak old lady down the road that would try and listen in on your convos?
    We were 218J. Oh dear, there we go, identity theft for for the picking 🤣🤣

• Members 143 posts
    May 15, 2023, 2:24 a.m.

Here 19 years is the minimum, but even buying lottery ticket they don't believe me and ask for ID. Imagine the hassle if I didn't abstain from alcohol, lol. They took my driver's license away but I still have to keep the card just for ID.

It's crazy 19 years was when I bought my first camera. Maybe too focused on photographing people instead of socializing with people.

• Members 1521 posts
    May 28, 2023, 6:59 p.m.
  • Members 368 posts
    May 28, 2023, 7:25 p.m.

Hi,

Ha ha! :)

Oh. Wait. I resemble that remark! :P

Stan

• Members 510 posts
    May 28, 2023, 7:36 p.m.
  • Members 65 posts
    May 28, 2023, 7:55 p.m.

'Traditional 'photography can be expensive and time consuming.

Many who are interested cannot actively pursue it as much as they would wish until the mortgage is paid off and the children have left home - leading to a mature age profile.

• Members 1521 posts
    May 28, 2023, 8:13 p.m.

Like more than 80% of our speakers 😉
    Interesting fact: total interventions = 105%! 😵