• Members 3346 posts
    April 10, 2023, 6:05 a.m.

I've seen someone named BootedCat post here on dprevived and this afternoon I saw saw the post below on dpreview.

Is BootedCat and moderator Footski of the Beginners Questions forum on dpreview the same person?

This post suggest they are.

www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4708706

bootedCat_Footski.jpg

bootedCat_Footski.jpg

JPG, 206.5 KB, uploaded by DannoB on April 10, 2023.

• edit

Thread title has been changed from Is Booted Cat Here Also Moderator Footski.

• Members 22 posts
    April 10, 2023, 7:03 a.m.

No idea but looks likely as "BootedCat" as a name seems an unusual idea to think up as a name so would be a strange coincidence if someone else accidentally took the same name?

Anyway I thought I'd mention here that I tried one of the recommended links posted on that linked DPReview thread (the dangerous link is no. 25 on the 2nd list shown there) and hit a Malwarebytes warning not to proceed due to presence of a dangerous Trojan.

The site to avoid, unless/until it gets cleaned up, is the "birdphotographers.net" site (not showing the full link here).

I posted a warning on that DPReview thread at: www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66995492

Frank

• April 10, 2023, 1:15 p.m.

No, he's just repeated the post.

• Members 54 posts
    April 10, 2023, 1:25 p.m.

I've received a request on DPReview to post such a message in PC Talk. Apparently there's a big last-minute push underway for that particular Facebookian forum.

• Members 6 posts
    April 11, 2023, 3:40 a.m.

No, BootedCat is not Footski. BootedCat also asked me to make that same post on DPR.
    Randy

• Members 435 posts
    April 11, 2023, 5:07 a.m.

Never mind, waste of time.

• April 11, 2023, 7:42 a.m.

We actually have a lot of DPReview moderators here. After our 'moderation' thread, many of them have used different user names. Trying to identify them is akin to doxing. Best not done, though we're all curious!

• Members 3346 posts
    April 11, 2023, 9:03 a.m.

Hmmmmm.....that's interesting.

A day or so ago I got this in a PM (Private Thread), so I won't say who it was from, for obvious reasons, but to me it was very 'moderator-ish' like from either an ex-DPReview moderator, who can't cope with losing their role, or a wannabe DPRevived moderator 😊.

Or maybe the member my comments refered to has multiple accounts and sent me the PM?

I don't recognise the sender's username from dpreview and the username is not on your list of Forum Team Users.

"Hi DannoB

I’ve been following this discussion with some interest, but am a little concerned that one of your posts in which you say “ you are now establishing a history of falsifying other members' posts” moves away from civil discussion of photography and into the territory of personal attack. May I request that you consider your choice of words carefully?"

I replied politely informing the sender that posting facts is not a personal attack.

• Members 621 posts
    April 11, 2023, 3:16 p.m.

I would have no problem with any of them participating in threads. I would have an issue if some were Mods…but I wouldn’t think it fair to go after them here in any way.

• Members 369 posts
    April 11, 2023, 4:28 p.m.

That looks like a textbook example of how a community-run forum should work. When a member makes the time and effort to send a politely worded PM to another member to call potentially inappropriate conduct to the recipient's attention, that's a good thing. That's how this site should work. Members should be encouraged to be open to receiving or providing such feedback when appropriate.

• Members 159 posts
    April 11, 2023, 4:43 p.m.

How the mighty have fallen.

• Members 209 posts
    April 11, 2023, 5:20 p.m.

But let’s “judge” (and that word is too heavy) new usernames on what they write here. New site, new slates

• Members 159 posts
    April 12, 2023, 1:53 p.m.

So you believe they deserve what they weren't willing to give to others?

• April 12, 2023, 2:04 p.m.

Let's not do things on what people 'deserve' but on what we'd expect for ourselves.

• April 12, 2023, 2:10 p.m.

As one who has been rebuked and sanctioned by our good friend Mako for 'subtle implied sarcasm', I think that if you don't want adverse reactions choice of words is quite important. In this case maybe a bit of over formality which makes it seem a little different from a collegiate 'calm down', message. People react differently to a friend and the cops, so don't sound too much like a cop, even a polite one. Some people speak like cops without thinking.

• Members 159 posts
    April 12, 2023, 2:37 p.m.

Bob, c'mon man. We want Nuremberg Trials 2.0.

All joking aside, although this will be a serious exercise in restraint, I'm willing to get on board with your suggestion. I'll refrain from putting anymore fuel on the fire.

• Members 209 posts
    April 12, 2023, 9:15 p.m.

Still 'subtle implied sarcasm' is great, should go right into the Pas-Ag Textbook