• Members 61 posts
    May 9, 2023, 6:08 p.m.

Odds on nikon announcing multiple things?

I'm hoping for the 200-600, and that it's in stock (or will be shortly).

Probably the 135 1.8 and 35 1.2 will be included, or very shortly after as well

• Members 252 posts
    May 9, 2023, 6:41 p.m.

I'm very curious about what it will do compared to Sony's offering of that lens, also pricewise.

• Members 61 posts
    May 9, 2023, 7 p.m.

My guess is a little more expensive because of inflation, but really about the same otherwise. Which is to say really good, I've been tempted to buy the Sony and adapt it since nikon has dropped the ball on getting their version out for so long. The original lens road map is going to be 4 years old in a few months, and the 200-600 was on it.

• Members 243 posts
    May 9, 2023, 8:26 p.m.

I am kinda hoping they don't announce the 200-600 and instead announce an FTZ screwdriver adapter instead just to watch peoples heads explode....LOL.

• Members 61 posts
    May 9, 2023, 8:48 p.m.

Well, for the 3 people that want it, I'm sure they'd be happy.

• Members 65 posts
    May 10, 2023, 4:07 a.m.

Both points of view on an FTZ for AF on pre AF-S lenses IMO have a place.

The only lens I might use it on is the 200 mm macro – with some howevers!

The 200mm is a 30 year old 1993 optical design, without the benefit of recent coatings to help with a subject contrast, with pedestrian auto focus speed on an appropriate a body, and no in lens VR.

One the one hand with restrictive technique it can still produce good results.
    On the other hand for a 3.5 inch wide subject there is something like the 100-400 S with modern coatings, quite fast AF and in lens VR.
    Combined with a Z7 the 100-400 can easily - especially for shooting convenience - blow the 200 f4 combined with film cameras normal back in 1993 clean out of the water.

Nostalgia or progress?

• Members 243 posts
    May 10, 2023, 1:15 p.m.

I made a vow that every time the usual suspects post about the 200-600, I would post the FTZ crack. Seems only about 5000 to go at this pace.

• Members 61 posts
    May 10, 2023, 1:20 p.m.

I dunno. The first road map is about to turn 4, so maybe we'll see the lens before that could be allowed to go to kindergarten.

If the rumors of a Zf are true, the screw drive might included there.

• Members 252 posts
    May 10, 2023, 4:58 p.m.

Found it! not in stock anymore though.

• Members 240 posts
    May 10, 2023, 5:25 p.m.

I live near a major camera retailer in the UK. A sales person in there told me recently that the Sony 200-600mm is Sony's biggest selling lens worldwide, and that for them as a retailer it's their biggest selling lens across all brands. Now, I don't know if that is true, but it sounds feasible.

Bottom line? After 4 plus years Nikon could do with getting their 200-600mm off the roadmap and into the market.

• Members 61 posts
    May 10, 2023, 5:47 p.m.

Ideally, yes. Though they should have really done it years ago.

One of the rumors floating around is that nikon was working on theirs and had it close-ish to done, and then sony released their internal zoom/etc, and forced nikon to redesign.

That could be true, but equally likely (to me) is nikon dropped the ball, hard, because they focused on other things for more niche markets. If that was better for their bottom line or not nobody will ever actually know.

• Members 60 posts
    May 10, 2023, 5:48 p.m.

When a new camera comes out is it a bit like when Apple release a new iPhone that people queue for it?

San x

• May 10, 2023, 7:39 p.m.

Depends on the camera - this one's been teased so long people will. Though being the demographic we are, we tend to pre-order and wait. We'd get pneumonia waiting in a queue.