• Members 3349 posts
    May 15, 2023, 11:28 a.m.

This is another photo from our walk around Li Yuan Garden, Wuxi, China on the same day as the photo in my other Li Yuan Garden thread.

As always comments and feedback welcome 🙂

liYuan.jpg

liYuan.jpg

JPG, 700.0 KB, uploaded by DannoLeftForums on May 15, 2023.

• edit

Thread title has been changed from Li Yuan Garden.

• Members 1662 posts
    May 16, 2023, 7:33 a.m.

Nice shot - I like the format (even though I would tend to crop it slightly closer to the building on the right) and the scene is beautifully captured.

It shows similar color-adjustments to your other images, so I attribute that to your personal style and taste. Personally I would go for a more even processing across the frame because this way the building on the right looks like it's thrown a little bit into 'shade' or gonna get rained on soon. But as usual that's all within personal preference and taste. It's a well done shot! 👍

• Members 3349 posts
    May 16, 2023, 10:36 a.m.

Thank you simplejoy. I'm happy you like it 🙂

Yes, these types of final images are my style and what I like. This type of colour grading is not everyone's cup of tea and that is fine. If my images get people talking about them then it's mission accomplished for me 🙂

Differentiating the left and right halves is what I was aiming for without losing too much reality. It looks like I achieved that at least in your eyes. My thinking at the time was to make it look like the light was coming from somewhere on the left and then fading across to the right. Your perception of shade or rain on the right works well for me. To my eyes creating a differentiation/contrast between the left and right helps add some depth to the scene which I wanted. The original 'documentary version' is fairly evenly lit and a little too flat looking for me.

Yes, as I mentioned above, this type of editing is not everyone's cup of tea but generally I like bold colours but not oversaturated. Like you correctly say, it's a personal preference.

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback, much appreciated 🙂

• Foundation 1407 posts
    May 16, 2023, 11:31 a.m.

It looks highly over-processed to me: unnatural. But if that is what you want...

David

• Members 3349 posts
    May 16, 2023, 11:47 a.m.

It isn't the documentary version. The only additional editing is a colour gradient and some dodging and burning.