• Members 567 posts
    May 2, 2023, 5:02 a.m.

Taken in 2012 while in Stratford, Ontario to see a theatrical production. The duck was on the Avon River that passes through the town.

I was saddened today to learn of the passing of Gordon Lightfoot, a Canadian singer that came to prominence during the 60s. Mostly a singer of folk type music but also some of light rock stature. So, I thought I would play some tunes through my cans and look through some images to post. I used to torture a guitar and attempt to play Lightfoot tunes. I have not touched the guitar in about thirty years other than to open the case and and have a look. Not sure the fingers which are arthritic now could handle the chords but perhaps. Unfortunately I was mostly a talentless hack but I enjoyed trying.

Andrew

_A177334 -1.jpg

_A177323 -1.jpg

_A177323 -1.jpg

JPG, 3.1 MB, uploaded by 19andrew47 on May 2, 2023.

_A177334 -1.jpg

JPG, 3.6 MB, uploaded by 19andrew47 on May 2, 2023.

• Members 318 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:54 a.m.

Nice to see the mallard Andrew especially with the E 3 one of Olympus best fourthirds cameras lovely colures from it 🙂

• Members 567 posts
    May 2, 2023, 3:40 p.m.

Thanks Danny.
    Andrew

• Members 567 posts
    May 2, 2023, 3:41 p.m.

Thanks Paul. I always had the feeling that I could drive nails home with that body!

Andrew

• Members 336 posts
    May 3, 2023, 3:42 a.m.

Gordon Lightfoot was one of my favorite singer / song writers, Andrew. He was a Canadian treasure and one of your gifts to the world. The first time I heard him sing "For Lovin Me" in 1966 I was hooked. One of this end of life's brutalities is seeing people like him pass. His beautiful and haunting words and music won't pass, but I damn sure will miss him. I put his songs on 8 track tapes. "Alberta Bound" from Don Quixote is the best travelin' music I've ever heard. I'd listen to it as I burned up the 650 miles between Eureka and Los Angeles, over and over, when I was moving, back in the 70s.

I like the duck. Rich

• Members 567 posts
    May 3, 2023, 4:16 a.m.

I listened to a couple dozen tunes last night after reading he had died. I have vinyl of all his early recordings and cds of later works. I missed some compilations and I think possibly he released a final album I may not have. I will have to check on that. I used to play Pony Man on guitar and sing. That is likely the only tune I did not completely butcher. I think Old Dan’s Records is one of my favourites. I like the sentiments. He was good at bringing that out with his music.

I hope you are doing well and things are winding down. I have had so much pain in the leg and back I pretty much sit in the barka lounge all day except when I am on the computer. Sitting the pain is far less bothersome. Lying down, not so much. Standing and walking are really painful most of the time now. I have to be really tired or under the influence of something to be able to sleep. Not quite there yet tonight.

Well I am rambling so perhaps time to try, again.

Andrew

• Members 336 posts
    May 3, 2023, 6:26 a.m.

I read that while Lightfoot was lonely for home in Los Angeles, he would go to the airport and watch the planes take off and land. While doing this he wrote, ".....You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train..." Well, he didn't burn out and die young like so many poets do. He got a nice, long life. 84 ain't bad.

If I get no more attention from the surprise party department, and also am ignored by the practical joke department, and the fairy godmother department does attend to me, things will be winding down in a couple or three weeks, or so. Pretty rough right now. I am thinking about flying somewhere after it's done. It might be nice to be a stranger somewhere for a week or so. Somewhere where English is spoken and there is stable civil order. In other words; not Earth. Rich

• Members 676 posts
    May 3, 2023, 6:44 p.m.

Nice set of pictures of that mallard, Andrew.... Not sure how I missed this post so long .. must have slipped down the list while I was away from the internet ... I'm not being able to Preview my text as it doesn't seem to show up when I look ... a problem that has shown up in the last week.. when I post I can see my pictures but not the accompanying text when I Preview .... anyway ...

WhyNot