• Members 14 posts
    April 15, 2023, 12:19 a.m.

Christopher Frost has a review up on Samyang's diminutive AF 75mm f1.8 lens for Fuji:

Christopher Frost Samyang 75mm f1.8

I also looked at the lens specs on Samyang's website, and this lens has a function called "preset Aperture Control"described thus:

On the Preset Aperture Control function, the aperture blade operates smoothly like a "De-clicked lens", which is advantageous for video recording.
    Fujifilm cameras are engineered to control the aperture according to the minimum exposure value(F-stop), so when the camera controls the aperture, it blinks momentarily to set the proper exposure.
    AF 75mm F1.8 X intentionally disconnects the communication with the camera body and the lens itself on the Preset Aperture Control function, so it is possible to smoothly adjust the exposure without flickering. ISO and shutter speed are adjusted according to the changed exposure by controlling the aperture, so the exposure value can be changed even with the 1/2 F-stop.

So maybe this lens will be of interest to video shooters to deal with the exposure flicker issue in video mode so often referred to in past DPR threads.

Link to Samyang's product page:

Samyang AF 75mm for Fuji

• Members 14 posts
    April 15, 2023, 2:46 p.m.

This I understand. It works like a lens with clickless manual aperture.

This not really. Maybe they mix up Fujifilm's deliberate aperture adjustment in idle mode to manage the viewfinder brightness with the exposure during taking photos or videos?

But in movie mode, I always use manual exposure anyway.

Christopher's key message is, the lens is good but it cannot compete with the Viltrox 75/1.2.

Regards,

Martin

• Members 14 posts
    April 16, 2023, 3:05 p.m.

Yes, it's no surprise it's not a match for the Viltrox for such little difference in price. It will be interesting to see though if Viltrox raises the price over time, as they have already with the 13mm; here in Cda the 13mm was released at $469 but now costs $575 - $649. The 75mm 1.2 can still be purchased for $729 but is now $825 from Viltrox. There is no CDN price yet, but at USD $499 it will likely be priced in the $649 range here, not including an extra $100 or so for the Lens Station :(

I like Christopher Frost's reviews, as they are usually succinct and give the important information in a relatively brief timeframe. However, they're not always thorough. At the 1:40 mark he talks about how the aperture control "only works in video mode though, and didn't seem to communicate with the camera well...", and then implies it's a possible firmware issue with the lens. However, a look at the product page for the lens demonstrates clearly that out of the box, the Preset Aperture Control function is the default setting, with behaviours as described above, so for all we know it was actually working properly. There's no indication in the video that Chris knew about this feature, but in my opinion it might be a relevant and important feature for video shooters if it works.