• Members 19 posts
    April 14, 2023, 8:50 p.m.

Hi,

I recently tested the XF33/f1.4 and yes AF and IQ are both great! But, size and weight are also quite large, making the whole experience less enjoyable for me. Personally I don't need the WR (have the 35/f2 for that) and CAF may be worse with the old 35/f1.4 but not by that much that I cant take a nice portrait. I am seriously thinking of selling that lens and getting a used 35/f1.4 at a lower price. Any opinions on that? Am I crazy thinking of going back to the old 35/f1.4? By the way here is one of nice 33/f1.4 photos:

www.flickr.com/photos/127079204@N06/52816698574

• Members 14 posts
    April 14, 2023, 9:01 p.m.

Well, that's the reason why I will not replace my 35/1.4. I like that it is so small and lightweight. Recently used it on the streets, very happy.

Danube scene with the XF 35/1.4

Cheers,

Martin

• Members 260 posts
    April 14, 2023, 9:04 p.m.
  • Members 303 posts
    April 14, 2023, 9:09 p.m.

I never had any interest in the 33 f1.4. The only difference in IQ was in the extreme corners. I mostly print a 4x5 aspect ratio so the extreme corners - meh.
    The other place the 33 f1.4 that one might consider is it is designed to mitigate focus breathing which is can be an issue in video. I don't do video.
    The 35 f1.4 is a wonderful lens. It is compact and light weight. It is fast and a great street lens. I'm not you but if it were me I would replace the 33 f1.4 with the 35 f1.4 post haste. 🤠

• April 14, 2023, 9:21 p.m.

I bought the 33WR because I used to have a Canon AE1 with a 50mm lens and thought I wanted one with the same focal length. But since testing the one I bought, it hasn't been on my camera at all - the 23mm is the one I use more.

But I'm not giving up with it. There will be some circumstances where it will be THE lens I need. I just need to think what that might be 😁😁😁

Alan

• Members 113 posts
    April 16, 2023, 9:31 a.m.

"Quite large" is in my opinion an exaggeration. I would not trade the 33mm for the older 35mm. The former is better built, is faster, performs better overall, all of which are important to me.

• Members 1 post
    April 16, 2023, 12:44 p.m.

I have a Sony full frame system for when I seek state of the art specs (like insanely good AF) and the best in IQ. My Fuji X-T5 is for when I want a lighter weight, back to basics camera with me. So it makes no sense to add the new range of lenses to it (18mm, 23mm, 33mm, 56mm), which will take it too close to the weight of my A7m4 with a prime lens on it. Plus those new WR LM lenses are expensive!
    The 35mm f1.4 is a wonderful lens; so small and with a character of its own. I use it a lot. I also have the 16mm f2.8, 18mm f2, the 27mm f2.8 and I use the Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 (Leica M mount + manual focus) as well, which is also small. The only upsized lens I have is the original 23mm f1.4. It's my most used focal length and I found one going cheap, second hand.
    The whole point for me about APSC is it's smaller, lighter and less expensive than full frame. If I did not have the Sony system, I think I would venture into the world of the new generation Fuji lenses, because the IQ examples I have seen from them is outstanding. Fuji would have to match Sony's AF performance without compromise, for me to consider using Fuji for all my photographic needs.