• Members 164 posts
    March 28, 2023, 7:22 p.m.

Firstly, great start on what can hopefully be a real successor to the old place - thanks to all involved in making this happen.

Of course there’s going to be bugs, and really I’m asking this to see if it’s just me - but should we be seeing some kind of notification somewhere when our posts are liked or replied to? At the moment I’m seeing nothing although I’m subscribed to few posts and have been quoted and replied to a couple of times. Is this feature not working or am I not looking in the right place?

• Members 35 posts
    March 28, 2023, 7:32 p.m.

I think I read somewhere that it has not been implemented yet.

• Members 164 posts
    March 28, 2023, 11:09 p.m.

You may be right, I’ve searched myself and found some talk around that. Although that seems to be specifically email notifications - I probably wasn’t clear but I was thinking more about some kind of banner or indicator on the site itself, ie like the red flag the old DPR displays in the top right when there’s a reply. Most likely it’s all linked and will come in time.

• March 28, 2023, 11:41 p.m.

Urgent.

Currently I'm manically trying to remember which sections I've posted in, checking back there manually, to see if I've had a reply so I can respond - and not seem unresponsive. But this is crazy, taking my work day up.

I think I'll give up checking back and wait for the notification flags to appear!

/

Just to add, there’s an issue over on DPR Clone, the software they are running on already shows a bell light up on the menu bar but it goes off once the notification list is opened, rather then stay lit until you’ve opened all the items in the list. This is because it includes likes as well.

Likes of posts are to direct other viewers to our posts as a recommendation of which posts to read, it’s not really directed back at the poster. Likes should be thought of a recommendations. Anyway, don’t make that mistake here. Notifications should only be added if there is a reply to our post (not a like). Either the bell stays lit until we’ve opened all items or additionally it also counts down (all needs a mark all as read option).

• Members 146 posts
    March 29, 2023, 12:24 p.m.

After joining, I visited the "Change options" settings page and selected "Notify with e-mail" for both subscription options ('Threads I start' and 'Threads I reply to').

A little while later I received a single email telling me that someone had replied to a thread I was "watching". However since then, I haven't had any further notifications at all, despite there being a number of threads I've participated in that have had replies.

Presumably that means that the notification system is presently broken, and mods/admin will need to put it on their (ever lengthening) list of issues to address...

• Members 164 posts
    March 30, 2023, 6:28 p.m.

Just coming back to this, I started talking about “notifications” here but really I mean that red flag with a number telling you if anyone’s replied to a thread you’re subscribed to - I do really think it’s important to get that working.

That was a major part of the “stickiness” of the old place for me, and I’m concerned there’s a risk that new members are going to be posting here, seemingly getting no response (no indication of any replies) and then giving up on the assumption that the place is dead. There are competing forums which do have working alerts and will give them that dopamine hit that this place currently lacks!

@bobn2, @root - is this on a to-do list anywhere? Thanks.

• Members 146 posts
    March 30, 2023, 8:22 p.m.

Agreed. Unless there's something I'm missing, it's current quite hard work to track down responses to threads one has posted in.

That's not sustainable, and casual users (which means most of us) will likely miss replies more often than not. So you are right that it's something that should have a reasonable amount of priority.

• Members 60 posts
    March 30, 2023, 8:37 p.m.

It's top of my list and goal for next Misago release. I already have rough plan for those are supposed to work. Also, idea is that notifications will happen on new replies to subscribed threads, but I also want you to enable being notified about likes to your posts, people naming you in app and people you follow making threads and posts.

• Members 35 posts
    March 30, 2023, 8:39 p.m.

Whilst I totally agree on the need for notifications, until then I get around it by subscribing to any thread I take part in. At the top and bottom of each thread is a grey box with a star and "disabled". Clicking on that and selecting the 2nd option (subscribe) means that you have subscribed to the thread.
    If you click on the threads option at the top of the main page there is a grey box that says "all threads". Click on that and you can select subscribed threads. This shows all the threads you have subscribed to. If the thread icon is blue there is a post that is unread by you.

• Members 60 posts
    March 30, 2023, 8:43 p.m.

In your options screen you can also make it so you are subscribed automatically to all threads you reply to.

• Members 35 posts
    March 30, 2023, 8:48 p.m.

Thank you.
    I had looked at that and it said notify as one of the options. I didn't relate that to subscribe!

• Members 164 posts
    March 30, 2023, 9:13 p.m.

Great to hear, thanks!

• April 3, 2023, 6:38 p.m.

Bringing this to the top.

I have the champagne ready - but only four glasses ;-)

• Members 621 posts
    April 4, 2023, 12:41 a.m.

Looking to forward to the updates for the future.