• Members 676 posts
    March 28, 2023, 11:55 a.m.

I'm not sure we can reconstruct the DPR presentation of the “Sunday ...” Or “C&C ….” Both DPR and Revived link a "start of thread" post to the relevant Category. DPR attaches replies to that post or to other replies to that entry with a link to that original post giving the Flat view. A secondary link is then needed to the message being replied to in order to provide the Threaded view... Looking at messages on Revived it is not clear me that the secondary link exists or of if replies are embedded into the original message structure ... Certainly appears that the presentation will significantly differ ..

WhyNot

• Members 510 posts
    March 28, 2023, 5:28 p.m.

Threaded will probably come. At least Bob says he wants it too. I don't know how easy it would be to implement though. As far as I understand it would take quite heavy modification of the software. Many mainly flat forums have an option to get threaded view built in from start.This one hasn't.

I think we should get our threads going here. We can live with flat for a while. It feels pointless to post at DPR anymore. Everything will soon be gone.

• Members 676 posts
    March 28, 2023, 5:40 p.m.

If that second link doesn't exist, then adding that to the data structure and the support software to use that link could be a project! But then again with AI programming .. maybe not ... I'm currently technologically illiterate so ...

WhyNot

• Members 1383 posts
    March 29, 2023, 5:11 p.m.

Will follow what you do with interest. We in the C&C thread are in the same quandary. The past set-up of our weekly C&C activity is dependent on having threaded view which is not currently available here and I'm not convinced ever will be despite Bob's and Alan's best intents and hopes. I have tried (on another forum far away) to do similar activities on a flat format and it usually fell apart fairly quickly as respondents drowned in replies and quotes. We intend to try and I hope you do too! Please let me know if you find a good solution.

• Members 510 posts
    March 29, 2023, 5:58 p.m.

I was doubtful too. But I understand now that this forum is different since it's based on Django and that means it's a whole other creature than forums I've used, like phpBB, Simple Machines, IPB and similar.

I'm not a programmer. I've just read about the possibilities. Bob can probably explain.

But it doesn't matter really. We need to get the threads going or they'll die. I think it's now or never. And the user base is here, at least partly. If it doesn't work out, well, let's cross that bridge when we come to it. We can't expect perfect right off.

• Members 35 posts
    March 29, 2023, 6:07 p.m.

A question/ an idea I have not tried.
    But If the original poster of the weekly thread asks for people to respond with their photos to that thread by clicking on the Main reply box at the top of the thread
    THEN
    People replying to the photos use the Post reply box in an individual post will this achieve what you are trying to do?

• Members 35 posts
    March 29, 2023, 6:08 p.m.

Replying to my message to see if it is embedded.

• Members 35 posts
    March 29, 2023, 6:09 p.m.

OK that worked.
    Now to try the other way.

• Members 35 posts
    March 29, 2023, 6:10 p.m.

This reply is from the top Reply box and would include a photograph.

• Members 35 posts
    March 29, 2023, 6:11 p.m.

Now a reply to the photograph.

• Members 35 posts
    March 29, 2023, 6:11 p.m.

Now a second reply to the photograph.

• Members 35 posts
    March 29, 2023, 6:12 p.m.

And a third reply to a photograph.

• Members 676 posts
    March 29, 2023, 6:21 p.m.

I'm complimented that you would follow me around but remember I'm just lost in a coal mine with a flashlight looking for a way out!!! …. I see the Threads we are concerned about as sub-forums that exist for a week for those participating in them. I thought the solution you seemed be pursuing was good – find or create a forum – like the one you proposed – and move the community to that forum. The C&C is based mainly on critiquing a single photograph so it should play well. You lose Roel as leader as he no longer needs to open a thread each week and stop by each entry and make a comment to encourage the poster to come back next week … Treat the forum as a continuing thread that never ends!!! The only problem is to move the community and keeping it flowing without a leader …. The Sunday thread is a bit different as our posts are often based mostly on what could be considered photo walks and involve 4 or more photos each entry... Not sure there is a forum where we could land and I think our community is less coherent .. And, our leader, Andrew, is doubtful and not committed to any forum yet and if that doubt goes beyond the April deadline I suspect the community will fragment … If you succeed maybe I'll try rejoining your tribe over here if that happens … hoping the tribe would accept me back … Good luck ..

WhyNot

• Members 676 posts
    March 29, 2023, 6:27 p.m.

The real problem is that the thread we are trying to duplicate here usually exceed 100 entries.... conversations here and there will flow well if everyone is sitting at a computer and responding.. but our users may come back hours or days after the entry they are responding to was posted... then it becomes difficult to sort through a flat view to find that comment for the original poster Another problem may be the original poster even knowing a response has been made .. like my stumbling on your response in that other thread!!! . ... if any of that make sense ???

WhyNot

• Members 35 posts
    March 29, 2023, 6:27 p.m.

I have just sent you a private message

• Members 146 posts
    March 29, 2023, 6:28 p.m.

I'm afraid there's truth in that.

With the (current) flat view, when threads get jumbled together and spread across multiple pages, it's almost impossible to follow a conversation. I've already made the mistake of supposing someone was responding to something other than what they were, and eventually realizing my reply was at cross-purposes.

It's only going to get harder to keep track of as more users arrive to participate in the discussion...

• Members 35 posts
    March 29, 2023, 6:31 p.m.

Yes people would have to scroll through for the last reply to any photograph. A long way from ideal. But at least there is a way of linking photographs as a reply to the original post and others to individual photographs.
    Is it better to start than not?

• Members 676 posts
    March 29, 2023, 6:36 p.m.

Well we have started but I'm not the one that needs convincing .. I'm just exploring ..

WhyNot