• Foundation 1403 posts
    Sept. 9, 2024, 2:16 p.m.
  • Members 1451 posts
    Sept. 9, 2024, 4:14 p.m.

Again some pretty amazing pictures, and some incredible difficulties that the photographers have overcome to make pictures at this high level.

Again, I am convinced that with modern gear taking care of the basic technicalities, the photographer's ability to make great composition and to be in the right place at the right time are everything.

Too many photographers get bogged down with the technicalities and theory.

• Foundation 1403 posts
    Sept. 9, 2024, 4:20 p.m.

For me, the really amazing thing is that two of the photographers in the article have severely impaired vision — it’s a miracle that they can know when to push the button!

The achievements of the photographers and the athletes is very moving and inspiring.

David

• Members 3326 posts
    Sept. 9, 2024, 10:15 p.m.

I disagree.

I have posted on several occasions that with modern digital cameras just about any of them can make nice looking sooc jpegs in good light without the photographer having to have a strong grasp of the basic technical aspects.

It could justifiably be argued that not enough photographers, who want more than just nice looking sooc jpegs, get into the theory and technicalities to use in their setup and preparation when applicable and appropriate to enable them to maximise the quality of the raw data in order to produce better images than sooc jpegs, especially in low light.

Anyone with a good grasp of the theoretical, technical and practical aspects of photography and post processing can produce final images digital cameras on their own cannot possibly create.

• Foundation 1403 posts
    Sept. 10, 2024, 12:03 p.m.

The Guardian has published a page of highlights of the Paralympic Games that is worth seeing and reading.

David

• Members 1451 posts
    Sept. 10, 2024, 3:23 p.m.

Another great set of moving pictures. The photography in some newspapers, is much more interesting than that on many dedicated online and print photo magazines.

It is moving to think about the obstacles these sports people have overcome to compete at all in any sports activities.

The amazing thing about these pictures, and a lesson for everybody, is that these pictures are out of camera JPEGS, transmitted almost instantly to the photographers news agent. I shoot RAW for my type of photogrphy, and do a lot of post. But the news guys and girls, show us how to nail a shot first time.

• Members 3326 posts
    Sept. 10, 2024, 5:57 p.m.

That is an opinion and not an established fact.

Each of those photos might or might not be sooc jpegs.

All of them might have been edited in post to some extent whether they were sooc jpegs or converted from raw manually.

There is nothing in the article which shows how much time the photographers had between taking a photo and having to submit it.

Even with the photos that might have been sooc jpegs, after they were submitted to the newspaper it's very possible the editor's staff might have edited some of the photos to various extents to optimise them for publication.

• Sept. 10, 2024, 9:18 p.m.

Dan, it really doesn't matter. To most people, they are great emotive images. Leave it at that.
    Alan

• Members 3326 posts
    Sept. 10, 2024, 9:25 p.m.

No problem.

NCV posted his opinion and I posted my opinion with my reasons for it.

If everyone leaves it at that then I too will be happy to leave it at that.