• Foundation 1400 posts
    Aug. 29, 2024, 6:06 a.m.

The BBC reports on some of the winners of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition. (In Firefox, hit CTRL+ eight times to enlarge and CTRL0 to return to normal.)

David

• Foundation 155 posts
    Aug. 29, 2024, 7:28 a.m.

David,

Thanks for the heads up. Some really good photos there. And the last one was taken by a 10 year old - I'm jealous!

Tim

• Members 1449 posts
    Aug. 29, 2024, 9:39 a.m.

Thanks' David for another great link.

Just like the previous Olympics link, we see how important it is to be prepared and know your subject.

My favourite by far is the owls shot, shot by a ten year old. The pose is just so sweet. I quess this shows that the automation modern cameras offer, can, with a bit of basic knowlege bring the possibility of taking great pictures to a far wider spread of people.

• Foundation 1400 posts
    Aug. 29, 2024, 2:58 p.m.

Sorry: I inadvertently misled you. The photos on the BBC website are “highly commended”, which I assume means runners up.

The BBC says: “The competition's winning photographs will be announced on 8 October, followed by an exhibition at the Natural History Museum, showcasing 100 photographs.

So there will be more to come later in the year!

David

• Members 3318 posts
    Aug. 29, 2024, 11:33 p.m.

I have posted on several occasions that in good light and with today's modern digital cameras it is easy to take nice looking sooc photos without any technical knowledge of photography.

I disagree the owl photo is a great photo because the sky in the background is largely blown which could have been avoided and still produce a nice looking image.

The owl photo is definitely a good photo but I wouldn't classify it as a great photo.

In scenes like the owl photo, blown skies is a huge no-no for me - especially if the photo is a competition entrant.

• Members 1449 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 5:01 a.m.

Right, looking forward to seeing the winners.

All the pictures in this set are "winners" anyway.

• Foundation 1400 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 8:20 a.m.

I agree with you. My favourite is the first one. The young manatee looks so innocent — quite unaware of the many dangers that may lie ahead for him, thanks to human beings!

David

• Members 3318 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 8:27 a.m.

My favourite one is the leopard biting into the crocodile while cheekily looking up at the photographer 🙂

The actual winners must be really amazing photos since these have all received high commendations which I assume means they just missed out on the final cut.