• Members 2288 posts
    April 19, 2023, 4:30 a.m.

I dont. i have other sites i just dont advertise them to the open market. my work is very case sensitive and i dont need people from these sites making stupid comments. all my work is recommendation. i dont worry about diffraction as i use microscope objectives that are fixed at f4. the only problem i had with noise was using M43 cameras with zerene stacking the noise even from iso 100. my sony a6300 and a7r2 were much better ,but my new a74 will blow them away from that point of view but i havent had a play with it yet with microscope objectives. i know exactly how to get the best from my cameras. but that wasnt my thread title and i just went along playing the idiot 😁 when i asked how to load a raw file in ACR i was wetting myself that everyone thought i was serious 🤨thanks for posting your images they are very good and someone might get some info from them. But at least it has started another thread running along the same lines without all the crap and railroad posts.
    Don
    Ps: this is how respondents should behave
    dprevived.com/t/raw-ettr-example-case/2192

not the childish manner that was executed here.

• Members 2288 posts
    April 19, 2023, 4:37 a.m.

It was the goal of the image . The final image was not edited it was left as is and has been a great advertising image for my daughters solo gigs. the new lens with a uv haze filter on it was fault less shooting directly into the sun .tamron 28 75 G2 beautiful lens.

• Members 2288 posts
    April 19, 2023, 5:03 a.m.

thats the problem i never asked what a raw histogram was, i wanted to know why it would be better than the normal in-camera histogram. but in the end i got my answer from a guy that showed me the camera configuration to set the camera up to replicate what a raw histogram would show. so i did that and then reset my camera back to normal to give me the 1/3-2/3 stop headroom on my blinkies and hisogram.

• Members 3347 posts
    April 19, 2023, 5:37 a.m.

But that should have been the very first question you asked instead of the total nonsense/garbage you posted in your original post.

You undeniably had no idea at all of what a raw histogram was when you made that post.

You try to create an illusion that you are a professional photographer and then you shot yourself in the foot big time with your original post.

• Members 3347 posts
    April 19, 2023, 6:04 a.m.

but it comes up looking much better when a little more pop/punch is added to it. You posted the original image in another thread

• Members 2288 posts
    April 19, 2023, 6:15 a.m.

as i said the punch line is yet to come . look a bit closer at the 2 histograms i posted at the start and you may or my not see anything of importance.

• Members 3347 posts
    April 19, 2023, 6:28 a.m.

Your question asking which of those 2 histograms is a raw histogram was answered by multiple members.

• Members 2288 posts
    April 19, 2023, 7:28 a.m.

one was the raw file histogram in ACR and the other was the saved psd file from the same raw file.

• Members 158 posts
    April 19, 2023, 7:49 a.m.

Too late, the raw data of that image was created and written to your memory card after you pressed the shutter button.

But it's very simple to explain actually. If you need more information for postprocessing - that is, a cleaner image with less noise, so that you can do tonal adjustments without posterisation, banding or increased noise - you need to maximise the exposure. Light = information, more light = more information and cleaner image.
    So the exposure has to be maximised but not to the point when the highlight clipping occurs. Clipped highlights = loss of information again.

• Members 2288 posts
    April 19, 2023, 7:55 a.m.

I shoot out of camera i alway have a 7inch field monitor atached and i nail the shot for the look im after dont care about clipping but the exposure im after .clipping has nothing to do with anything unless im shooting on a white backdrop in my studio. but evven then it doesnt matter because ive been using the same settings for 4 years.
    just did that test . might have benn more important 10 years ago but not now.
    i just took 2 images 1 in camera ev0 and another ev+.7 took the raws into ACR and increased ev image 1 by 1/3 stop and decreased image 2 buy 1/3 stop. here are the 2 histograms .
    [image 2.jpg]
    image 1.jpg(/a/2qrN9dqG3vf1MYx6OavXF3wz6oa5UP1ql9qeGvmSD7yBD3pqQawBkyvXKpjKTbNe/4287/?shva=1)

image 2.jpg

JPG, 77.5 KB, uploaded by DonaldB on April 19, 2023.

image 1.jpg

JPG, 88.6 KB, uploaded by DonaldB on April 19, 2023.

• Members 3347 posts
    April 19, 2023, 8:09 a.m.

ok, at least now you realise why neither of your 2 histograms in your op is a raw histogram when you originally claimed one of them was.

The histogram displayed in ACR is not of the actual raw data but of the dataset created after the raw data was demosaiced, had white balance applied to it and mapped to the working colour space you have set in your ACR.

• Members 2288 posts
    April 19, 2023, 8:23 a.m.

makes no difference what program you look at the raw on. why does it matter still remains.
    [raw2.jpg]
    (/a/RuGgRLiYEqiKk7usTKOLGmnxDy6pQBImJJAJNbc3ZmiVsjaYrBIZe5kw0pqotcmb/4289/?shva=1)

raw1.jpg

raw2.jpg

JPG, 125.3 KB, uploaded by DonaldB on April 19, 2023.

raw1.jpg

JPG, 127.9 KB, uploaded by DonaldB on April 19, 2023.

• Members 3347 posts
    April 19, 2023, 8:34 a.m.

No, it doesn't still remain. The benefits of maximising the exposure* and using raw histograms to help identify when raw data is being clipped has been explained multiple times in your own thread.

* exposure - amount of light that struck the sensor per unit area while the shutter was open
    ** optimal exposure - the maximum exposure* within dof and motion blur requirements without clipping important highlights.
    *** under exposed - more exposure* could have been added with the DOF and blur constraints still being met without clipping important highlights.

• Members 2288 posts
    April 19, 2023, 9:14 a.m.

my eyes are much better than yours at maximizing my exposure

• Members 3347 posts
    April 19, 2023, 9:18 a.m.

The definition of exposure you use is different to the definition of exposure* I use.

* exposure - amount of light that struck the sensor per unit area while the shutter was open
    ** optimal exposure - the maximum exposure* within dof and motion blur requirements without clipping important highlights.
    *** under exposed - more exposure* could have been added with the DOF and blur constraints still being met without clipping important highlights.

• Members 3347 posts
    April 19, 2023, 9:23 a.m.

Why it matters does not still remain.

You yourself came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter for you when you said

You're now just going round in circles now trolling 🤣

If it doesn't matter to you that is fine as it is your choice to make. Other people prefer to maximise the quality of the raw data so that potentially they can output better quality final images than sooc jpegs. That is their choice to make and you seem to be struggling to cope with that 🙂

• Members 2288 posts
    April 19, 2023, 9:56 a.m.

your getting out of your depth here. i have always used a 7 inch field monitor. it has extremely detailed histograms/ blinkies. i can measure down to 0.01 of a stop with my monitor attached to my a74 in fact its as accurate as any computer software that i have just compared it to using a raw image ( are raws really raw ?) people complain that incamera histograms are useless have no idea. wanting companies to put raw histograms in cameras does not have any advantage for my sony a74 it might if you dont own a quality camera but not for me. Now as my thread title read.

• Members 3347 posts
    April 19, 2023, 10:06 a.m.

Maybe some people have but I have always posted that in my experience the camera's histogram is a close approximation of the raw histogram

Your title reads "Raw histogram and why does it matter" and in your original post you asked -

"2 screen shots which one is the raw and why does it matter"

but neither of your histograms is a raw histogram which clearly proves you had no idea at all what a raw histogram even is when you started this thread.

The first question you should have asked instead of making a fool of yourself, especially since you claim to be a professional photographer, is

"What is a raw histogram and why does it matter?"

instead of pretending you knew what you were talking about when you actually had no clue as proven by those 2 histograms in your original post.