• Members 961 posts
    Aug. 29, 2024, 2:43 a.m.

Anyone here using RawTherapee?

If not, what's your favourite pp freebie? DarkTable?

• Members 806 posts
    Aug. 29, 2024, 11:29 a.m.

I tried both of them but it was a long time ago. Luminar gavefree copies of Luminar 3&4, I used them for a long time. I think Luminar stopped to give them free now. I still have them and use them occasionally. They dont apply lens correction automatically, when I want to get uncorrected version of Leica DNG files they become handy.

• Members 124 posts
    Aug. 29, 2024, 1:12 p.m.

Yes, for many years, currently on V.5.8 which is good enough for my purposes.

Otherwise:

Lately, I have come to prefer the GIMP 2.10 because of it's layers and masks but RT's sharpening options still rule the roost.

For quick work, FastStone Viewer does the job and XnView MP is perfect for adding IPTC keywords.

For image analysis, ImageJ a.k.a. Fiji is unbeatable.

• Members 961 posts
    Aug. 29, 2024, 1:40 p.m.

Thx,

I have been using Faststone. I have had RT installed for ages, just got to use it to raise some deep shadows. That worked ok except it introduced a lot of noise / artifacts to the sky. Got some advice to select the area only and created a local edit (rectangle) but can't work how to stop it affecting areas outside the object in question (a bird), so now getting lightening of the sky around the bird within the rectangle...
    Another forum suggested darktable has a better local edit tool, so have installed it. Must sleep now will dive in tomorrow

What is it with open source software??? - as in counter intuitive interfaces Just took me 2 minutes to work out how to open a file in darktable. And before that I clicked on the map, but then there is no way to turn it off........... [/rant]

• Members 124 posts
    Aug. 29, 2024, 2:39 p.m.

For that kind of work, the GIMP's layers and masks is more suitable than messing with local contrast, and too it has many, many selection options.

For birds against a sky, an excellent mask can be made with the GIMP's threshold function.

Yep, the GIMP is none too easy either ...

A good site to join for darktable learning is discuss.pixls.us/ - some very knowledgeable folks there.

• Members 961 posts
    Aug. 29, 2024, 9:38 p.m.

Thx heaps for your tips, will give it a go later today.

• Members 3318 posts
    Aug. 29, 2024, 10:09 p.m.

If you want to get serious about image editing then you will need an app that has very good support for layers, masking and selections.

If you can't make accurate selections of intricate elements then you're going to find yourself behind the 8-ball many times.

• Members 3318 posts
    Aug. 29, 2024, 10:59 p.m.

I think you'll find that to be the case to varying extents in most free open source software.

• Members 1449 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 5:12 a.m.

I used Raw Therapee, back when I used a Lumix LX100 and did not have a converter that handled the Raw files.

Like all Open Source software it tends to be a bit clunky and difficult to use. But I got some good results. Unless you want to do heavy manipulation it should be fine.

You need to check if it is doing the lens corrections, most mirrorless cameras seem to need.

You Lumix camera should entitle you to use the Panasonic version of Silkypix

• Foundation 1400 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 6 a.m.

I use Gimp occasionally; but I do not have time to master it or other free photographic processing programs. I always shoot raw, use Photolab and Photoshop CS5 for basic processing, and Topaz AI Sharpen as appropriate. I am still discovering new things I can do with these programs!

David

• Members 124 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 5:44 p.m.

On my Windows 7 computer, RT 5.8 accesses no less than 1,168 Adobe LCP files, presumably based on raw file metadata. Like in darktable, said metadata names may not always match RawTherapee's index. In other words, auto lens correction is not always guaranteed - but RT has a dialog that lets you find yours and select it manually.

• Members 36 posts
    Sept. 1, 2024, 11:22 a.m.

I have tried Raw Therapee and Darktable but found both of them to finicky and slow to use. I have been using Photolab 7, Neo Luminar and an old program Photoscape X Pro but I recently updated my copy of Photo AI and that seems to have improved quite a lot since I last used it, so may give that a go again

• Members 789 posts
    Sept. 1, 2024, 1:38 p.m.

ACDSee Ultimate
    since no one has mentioned it so far, maybe you'd like to also make a free trial of ACDSee ultimate software.
    It is not free to purchase, but not that expensive either, and you don't need to pay a monthly fee.
    It has full support for selecting areas & using layers. It's easy to use and has RAW "converters and developers" plus photoshop like editing possibilities in one package.
    I have been using it for many years and I'm happy.
    There are on line tutorials, and user forums. Generally I feel that learning to use this package is easier than learning to use raw developlers and the complete photoshop suite.

For what it's worth ,....anything you have seen from me, came through ACDsee :-)

Of course, others will reccomend other software.
    Usually people will tend to reccomend whatever they happen to be using themselves.
    ...Just as I have done here ;-)

• Members 961 posts
    Sept. 1, 2024, 3:06 p.m.

Yes that is how it goes when we become familiar with a tool.

What are the sharpen and de-noise tools like in ACDSee?

• Members 243 posts
    Sept. 1, 2024, 6:10 p.m.

I also use ACDSee as a raw converter and image editor. I also have DXO. As an all around editor I like ACDSee better. DXO is better at noise reduction but, you can get decent results with ACDSee. I particularly like the Light EQ feature of ACDSee.
    Bob

• Members 961 posts
    Sept. 1, 2024, 9:01 p.m.

Thanks for that Bob,

It's on a well discounted special atm - until 4th Sep. I think I will try it out.

• Members 961 posts
    Sept. 1, 2024, 9:37 p.m.

I just noticed there is a new version (5.11) of RT out.

In the release notes they mention some tweaks / changes to Local editing. Not sure if mask creation will be any more precise.

• Members 3318 posts
    Sept. 1, 2024, 10:54 p.m.

If you're now also looking at non-free apps, Photoshop Elements with the optional 3rd party Elements+ plugin gives you access to a large chunk of the full Photoshop at a fraction of the cost.

PSE comes with a slightly watered down version of the full ACR.

PSE also comes with a fully featured DAM which enables you to do "google-like" searches to find images in your catalogue.

Both PSE and E+ have free trial periods.

I have been using the combo for around 10 years now.