• Members 3344 posts
    June 16, 2023, 12:44 p.m.

The sad thing is that if you read through DonaldB's posts he genuinely believes his thread title is true 🙂

He basically has his own definition of exposure which is how light or dark an image looks on the medium it is being viewed on.

• Removed user
    June 16, 2023, 12:47 p.m.

I'm wondering how Pete knew what the scene brightness was ...

• Removed user
    June 16, 2023, 1:04 p.m.

Here's one for foot-candles ... easily converted to lux:

kronometric.org/phot/exp/Kodak%20Zones%20not%20Adams%20with%20EC.jpg

3EV between very black skin and light caucasian skin and yet "I set the exposure and scene lighting the same" LOL

(Hmmm Kodak vs. DonaldB... taka taka taka ...sound of biplane spiraling down etc)

• Members 280 posts
    June 16, 2023, 1:30 p.m.

It's attention seeking:. "Mummy Mummy look at me!"
    Don

• Removed user
    June 16, 2023, 1:44 p.m.

Kodak - a Law unto themselves - why on earth did they choose millilux - a seriously small amount of illuminance?

Are they trying to bring some resolution to starlight or moonlight?

• Members 1737 posts
    June 16, 2023, 3:21 p.m.

Based on experience in threads here, the answer is clear.

• Members 2285 posts
    June 16, 2023, 10:04 p.m.

you dont light scenes to control exposure, you light scenes to how you want the subject or scene to look.
    segio 01.jpg

A7M01730PP w42bw.jpg

segio 01.jpg

JPG, 2.5 MB, uploaded by DonaldB on June 16, 2023.

A7M01730PP w42bw.jpg

JPG, 8.5 MB, uploaded by DonaldB on June 16, 2023.

• Members 2285 posts
    June 16, 2023, 10:06 p.m.

come on dunno post your famous post on exposure 😁

• Members 2285 posts
    June 16, 2023, 10:09 p.m.

that articale has nothing to do with the way i shoot portraits in my studio. and you obviously havnt a clue yourself ,because you cant post
    your own experiences. inexperienced photographer. this is pretty basic stuff.

jan01.jpg

A7M01818 web.jpg

jan01.jpg

JPG, 3.2 MB, uploaded by DonaldB on June 16, 2023.

A7M01818 web.jpg

JPG, 1.6 MB, uploaded by DonaldB on June 16, 2023.

• Members 202 posts
    June 16, 2023, 10:19 p.m.

What if you are using a flash or studio lights? You can leave the shutter open for as long as I want and have a pitch black file until the flash illuminates the scene, and the length of the flash will determine if there is or isn't any blur in the shot.

Take for instance a bullet being captured in flight. You would expose that shot (sorry for the pun) by using a flash rather than a shutter.

• Members 3344 posts
    June 16, 2023, 10:25 p.m.

Earlier I posted an example of how scene luminance affects the exposure* with clear definitions of each.

Other people have also explained why your thread title is nonsense.

You are still running way from posting the definitions of scene luminance and exposure as you used them in your title.

That is what you always do when you have backed yourself into a corner as you have done here.

Your definitions of those 2 are clearly different to most other people's and so you will continue to go round in circles as you are here because obviously you can make up false definitions of those terms that support your thread title.

* exposure - amount of light that struck the sensor per unit area while the shutter was open

dprevived.com/media/attachments/27/91/aAr96IpuIEmK63CKAYCYCaqpLs8oOLAs1nVM8qk1s7yLXb5ACDXhT2ugqD3wHvFI/eatingpopcorn2.gif

• Members 2285 posts
    June 16, 2023, 10:38 p.m.

well from my experience flash duration is maxed at 1/8000 sec. so to slow to still a bullet.

• Members 2285 posts
    June 16, 2023, 10:40 p.m.

iso effects exposure settings using auto mode .

define amount of light ? give it a value !

• Members 2285 posts
    June 16, 2023, 10:44 p.m.

thats "AN exposure" = image captured its not exposure (camera settings)

• Members 273 posts
    June 16, 2023, 10:48 p.m.

Exposure = Illuminance * Time (this is the definition of the term)

Illuminance is controlled by F-stop (really T-stop) and scene illumination.

Therefore, by definition, exposure is controlled by scene illumination, as well as by two other things.

This is not open to debate. It's the definition of the term that most, if not all people agree upon.

Adobe: "Exposure is the amount of light that reaches your camera’s sensor,..."
    Wikipedia: "In photography, exposure is the amount of light per unit area (the image plane's illuminance times the exposure time) reaching a frame of photographic film or the surface of an electronic image sensor, as determined by shutter speed, lens F-number, and scene luminance."
    Photographylife: "In photography, exposure is the amount of light which reaches your camera sensor or film."
    Masterclass: "Camera exposure is ... the amount of light that reaches the film or camera sensor when a picture is being taken."
    SLR Lounge: "Exposure is the amount of light a sensor (or piece of film) receives."

And so on.

• Members 3344 posts
    June 16, 2023, 11 p.m.

No-one is disputing iso sets the target exposure* to output the image lightness the camera is calibrated to for the iso setting.

But iso can have no effect on exposure* at all in manual mode as long as highlights are not clipped. I have posted many examples where that is the case

The meaning of amount of light and how to give it a value has been explained countless times in other threads by at least Bob and many others. I am sure you can find the posts if you need to refresh your memory.

You are still running away from posting the definition of scene luminance and exposure as you used them in your thread title as you always do when you have backed yourself into a corner.

You are using different definitions of those terms while trying to prop up the false statement in your thread title and so are continuing to go round in circles 😄

* exposure - amount of light that struck the sensor per unit area while the shutter was open

dprevived.com/media/attachments/27/91/aAr96IpuIEmK63CKAYCYCaqpLs8oOLAs1nVM8qk1s7yLXb5ACDXhT2ugqD3wHvFI/eatingpopcorn2.gif

• Members 273 posts
    June 16, 2023, 11:07 p.m.

You may be confusing exposure and exposure value.