• Members 369 posts
    April 22, 2023, 6:05 a.m.

My goodness but Nikon Rumors is terribly desperate for a Z8 to be officially announced.

Nikon must be doing a pretty good job of keeping a lid on Z-mount camera bodies in development. There hasn't be a legitimate, really juicy rumor in at least nine months. It's clearly getting to the NR admin.

NR is so desperate for something - anything - with Z9 tech lineage to be announced that they've played up several incredibly thin rumors the last couple of months. The first was the mysterious meeting in March that was going to be the Z8 introduction
    Nothing burger.

Just a week or so ago, it was a reference to official Nikon communication about exciting new tech in development. This supposed veiled reference to the Z8 ended up being corporate communication about a product in development in ikon's biomedical division.

This week's breaking story is leaked Z8 photos and specs from a backwater Nikon site. The photo was a mock up some random dude made and released 2+ years ago. The website snafu was a whole lotta nothing.

It's actually a bit entertaining watching as rumor after rumor ends up being nothing but hot air. Is there a Z8 in development? Probably? When will it be introduced? Nobody knows; least of all the admins at the rumor sites...including NR.

My $0.02 is that Nikon is waiting for the Red patent infringement case to be resolved before introducing any new bodies that would be impacted by a ruling/agreement on licensing fees. If that's the case, we're looking at late 2023 for the next major camera body intro.

With my luck, Nikon will make the intro next Wednesday just to embarrass me. If that happens, I'm takin' credit :)

• Members 2285 posts
    April 22, 2023, 6:56 a.m.

There lies the problem if they bring out a z8, it will be that good it will be a 10 year life span camera. same as when sony announced the a74 it was the first camera i have bought in the release year. and it will my camera for 10 years now. Nikon has no where else to go but top of the line mid camera.

• April 22, 2023, 7:07 a.m.

There will be a new camera in development. The Z6 and Z7 line are both up for the next update. What they call the upper one is up to Nikon, and can be decided very late in the development process. I think it's very unlikely to be derived from the Z9 platform. It will most likely have a higher pixel count (60-100MP) and that almost certainly means a mechanical shutter, and a different sensor to the Z9. It's unlikely to have a built-in grip. Those things suggest that it will be based on the Z5/Z6/Z7 platform - these can have an extended life, sometimes 15 or more years, so Nikon will be working with that basic platform for some time yet. None of this means that it will not have better AF than the present Z6II or Z7II, or the latest EXPEED processor. Those things would be expected for a new version. It also doesn't mean that the upper one won't use the control turret UI. That's a very minor change, and Nikon might do it if they think it will make more sales.

• Members 535 posts
    April 22, 2023, 1:14 p.m.
  • Members 369 posts
    April 22, 2023, 2:46 p.m.

If the Z6/7 series updates were given there Expeed7 processor, might that facilitate improved AF or other desirable features?

• Members 16 posts
    April 22, 2023, 4:37 p.m.

You're hypothesis concerning the RED lawsuit makes plenty of sense. It would be difficult to finalize specifications and firmware with the litigation.

• Members 9 posts
    April 23, 2023, 6:20 a.m.

To me, as a software developer, it does not make sense to interrupt firmware development because a patent dispute about a tiny option. It is common practice to have flags in the development to in-/exclude some options. No reason to stop or interrupt anything. Develop the firmware with all planned features and include a flag to disable the feature that is in dispute. Depending of the outcome of the dispute there are different options for future updates:
    - RED wins and no licensing: let it disabled
    - RED wins with a license agreement: enable it and pay the license for all cameras, or make it a payed option
    - NIKON wins: simple enable the option

For the specification it should be possible to include it with reservation and a hint to the ongoing dispute.

• April 23, 2023, 7:19 a.m.

That's how it generally works. The new generation of the processor goes across the range eventually. Developing it for just one model isn't really an economic option. So I'd expect all new releases to have the Expeed 7. The variable is how much memory is put in. Also there is the question of which of the Z9's improvements are down to which bits of its differences from what went before. Some will be down to the speed and dual-channel readout of the stacked sensor. Some down to increased processing power in the Expeed 7 and some down to software improvements. So, all the new cameras will get some of those, but likely not all. It's very unlikely that Nikon will develop a new stacked sensor just for one model - again, the economic constraints. Much more likely that they will do as they always have and use something from Sony SS's commodity line. That possibly gives them a stacked sensor in DX, which is why a 'mini Z9' is more likely to be DX - plus there is a market segment developing there with the R7 and Fuji whatever (get lost in their model names) and maybe you could put the OM-1 in there too.

• Members 39 posts
    April 23, 2023, 8:43 p.m.

The admin is fully on the Z8 warpath:
    nikonrumors.com/2023/04/23/the-latest-nikon-z8-rumors-teaser-campaign-rumored-to-start-in-a-few-days.aspx/
    Here's a couple of nice testable predictions:

That schedule might allow for the first petapixelTV episode to cover the Z8 preview, depending on how much detail is teased (it might just be videos of men in speedos like the Z9 teasers) and whether the NR admin is right

• Members 369 posts
    April 23, 2023, 8:51 p.m.

I hope he's right.

• Members 243 posts
    April 24, 2023, 2:36 p.m.

I agree Bill, NR is desperate. They even posted one a couple months ago announcing Nikon would be doing firmware updates on some of their existing cameras in the future. Um...what? Was that ever in doubt?

• Members 14 posts
    April 24, 2023, 4:16 p.m.

The leak of the low-res brochure today certainly makes Nikon Rumors predictions look pretty accurate.

• Members 14 posts
    April 24, 2023, 4:50 p.m.
  • April 24, 2023, 4:55 p.m.

Well, for a start it's a product labelled Q2070, which might or might not be a 'Z8'. For a second, it's so low resolution that you can't see what the spec is, so there's not a lot that is confirmed, except that at some stage Nikon will release a new camera.

• Members 14 posts
    April 24, 2023, 5:17 p.m.

A new camera that they're apparently comparing to the Z9, in the brochure. So sure, it's not confirmed to be a Z8, but it sure is looking increasingly likely that it will be.

• April 24, 2023, 5:26 p.m.

I think it's quite likely they'll use the 'Z8' name. What the spec will be, we don't know.

• Members 1457 posts
    April 24, 2023, 5:41 p.m.

All this reminds me of the Nikon D400 saga of some years ago. I never did get my hands on one.

• April 24, 2023, 6:04 p.m.

I bought a pair. The lightest cameras I ever owned. Bought them from an emperor's tailor.