• Members 676 posts
    April 23, 2023, 1:57 p.m.

to me .. For a decade I've been resisting the O40-150mm Pro lens but his week I broke down and added it to my collection and in doing so retired all my FT lenses except the Macros! … I had the original kit 40-150 and never really liked it because the way I would use that lens it needed to focus about a foot closer .. and the Pro lens does just that. … I've started out using it with the MC14 to effectively make it a constant f/4 50-200mm lens sort of … and because if focuses at 70cm it will become my usual take along for the Botanical Garden and the Tennessee river walks …. and around the yard in late Spring to early Fall ….

Around the yard we have an iris

Iris.jpg

Spider wort

Spiderwort.jpg

Our red breasted woodpecker

Red Breasted Woodpecker.jpg

From a trip to the Botanical Gardens where the peonies are in bloom this week ..

Peony.jpg

more from this trip another time …

Like many lenses this one has its idiosyncrasies … The lens hood presents something new as it stays on the lens and collapses in place.. Probably not much of a problem as I usually leave the hood on the longer lenses and won't be storing it often …. The one idiosyncrasy that will effect me for a while is the way this lens doesn't extend as the focal length does .. I'm use to seeing where my long telephoto lenses are by their length and this one I have to check the scale or wait till I look through the view finder … not much of a problem .. Otherwise so far a great lens …

WhyNot

Peony.jpg

JPG, 1.2 MB, uploaded by WhyNot on April 23, 2023.

Red Breasted Woodpecker.jpg

JPG, 947.8 KB, uploaded by WhyNot on April 23, 2023.

Spiderwort.jpg

JPG, 998.3 KB, uploaded by WhyNot on April 23, 2023.

Iris.jpg

JPG, 1.0 MB, uploaded by WhyNot on April 23, 2023.

• Members 318 posts
    April 23, 2023, 2:17 p.m.

Beautiful Photos WN with stunning colures love them.
    U made the right choice the that lens enjoy it its one of the best lenses Olympus ever made Paul

• Members 281 posts
    April 23, 2023, 2:59 p.m.

Lovely flowers and woodpecker WN.
    I bought the 40-150 when I first got my EM-1.1 but quickly returned it as being too big and not long enough at the time.
    Maybe I should have stuck with it as it continues to produce great results for many after these many years.
    I've gotten used to carrying/using the O100-400 - guess I could have adapted to the 40-150 too.
    Enjoy your new toy!

• Members 676 posts
    April 23, 2023, 4:41 p.m.

Thanks for stopping by, Paul ... Many more flowers an birds to come and a lot more time with this lens I suspect . ..

WhyNot

• Members 676 posts
    April 23, 2023, 4:50 p.m.

Thanks for stopping by, Jim ... Truly a toy!!!! ... I had the 50-200 that had become my standard lens for walking along the Tennessee but now his one will .. I had similar thought about this lens since its introduction. I basically had this focal length covered and I had had the early small kit version that I never really got to using with any regularity .... However I hadn't had anew toy in 18 months and I think this lens will provide some use as it focus a bit closer and will provide better use of ProCpature ..... and I've been reading Thomas Stirr articles about ProCapture and butterflies & dragonflies that will be around soon .. so maybe something to play with .. Also, thinking it is a bit sharper than the 50-200 and may provide better cropping for any yard birds I happen to work with this summer ... Also It does become m=re versatile with the MC's ....... A little more GAS and I'll add the MC2.0 and have my 100-300mm lens back ... Lots of rationalizing went into aquiring this toy!!!! ....

WhyNot

• Members 567 posts
    April 23, 2023, 4:53 p.m.

All very nice results WN. I especially like the peony in the last. Ours are up about a foot or more now but it will be a while before we see blooms. Our spiderworts I don't think are much above ground yet and the irises a long way off other then some miniatures that bloom early. The birds have arrived but I have not shot any of the newly arrived ones yet.

Andrew

• Members 336 posts
    April 24, 2023, 2:33 a.m.

It's nice to have a new lens to break in and get used to, WhyNot. You're doing great so far. Rich

• Members 80 posts
    April 24, 2023, 6:39 a.m.

These are great WN. Love the woodpecker. The new lens is working really well.
    I feel a GAS attack coming on.😊

Dave