What is your personality type, training, career choices?

• 36 votes.
  • Started by camperjimk on May 17, 2023.
Highly technical, left brained, analytical, logical
7 votes, 20% of total.
  • 7 votes, 20% of total.
Mixed
27 votes, 75% of total.
  • 27 votes, 75% of total.
Highly artistic, right brained, spontaneous, emotional
2 votes, 6% of total.
  • 2 votes, 6% of total.
  • Members 1383 posts
    May 19, 2023, 6:03 p.m.

It is true that the scientific fields (and most arts, as you point out) have been largely dominated by men, but this is changing. There have always been women who achieved in those fields, but now there are more, and the barriers are gradually being reduced though not removed. It is hard to overcome centuries of custom and culture. Women like your daughter are making it easier for the next generation to overcome those even more.

The statistics on numbers of photographers by gender is contradictory but most suggest it's a 50-50 split now, with some genres being skewed differently one way or another. If you look at photography forums, the majority (well more than half) of participating members are men. In technical debates, there is an even larger proportion of men. I've always been curious about the why's of this, but I don't think it's lack of assertiveness or ability. I suspect that in general, women are less attracted to argument as an enjoyable activity. Most of the women photographers I know on forums are more interested in the various art-related subjects and in sharing or discussing actual images, and they engage in technical talk mainly to solve a problem in their own work: a lens to do a certain thing, lighting for a certain purpose, paper suited for certain prints (or help someone else with their problem). There's always exceptions but that's what I've seen.

I too would welcome more topics on the artistic side. I'm all good with people having as many technical discussions as they want - the forum is new and it needs active discussions - but I do think we need more art-centric and image-centric discussions for balance.And I appreciate those of you (like you and Jim Kasson) who have launched interesting and thoughtful discussions along these lines.

• Members 510 posts
    May 19, 2023, 6:30 p.m.

“Keep your dog off of my lawn.”

Grumpy old man syndrome is a real thing, and... it could fill one hundred pages here !
    Best not to go there. lol

• Members 280 posts
    May 19, 2023, 6:37 p.m.

I think that nearly everyone is born with the ability to create bad art.

Don

• Members 109 posts
    May 19, 2023, 7:45 p.m.

If you had worked much with kids you would likely have a different opinion. Even young children often produce remarkable and exciting work. It takes time and education to dull that.

The last piece my 11 year old granddaughter completed was exceptional. I keep thinking of presenting it to the critique group I belong to. I can almost hear the oohs and aahs.

• Members 1737 posts
    May 19, 2023, 7:51 p.m.

I work hard at making art that I consider good. But I can tell you, through years of experience, I have demonstrated that I also have a great talent for creating bad art, which, in this case, means art that doesn't satisfy me.

AA once said that a dozen significant images a year was a good output for him. Think how many images he made in a typical year that didn't make the cut.

• Members 216 posts
    May 20, 2023, 4:40 a.m.

It is only bad art until someone likes it and it becomes a fad

• Members 978 posts
    May 20, 2023, 7:16 a.m.

Just to be a bit more specific, it's not the generalised men, it's the boys clubs many men create.