If Mako had been moderating this thread, how many people would have been sandboxed?

• 28 votes.
  • Started by bobn2 on May 2, 2023.
0-2
6 votes, 22% of total.
  • 6 votes, 22% of total.
2-4
0 votes, 0% of total.
  • 0 votes, 0% of total.
5-9
3 votes, 11% of total.
  • 3 votes, 11% of total.
10-19
1 vote, 4% of total.
  • 1 vote, 4% of total.
20 or more.
18 votes, 65% of total.
  • 18 votes, 65% of total.
  • Members 535 posts
    May 2, 2023, 8:20 a.m.

I'm a foreigner living in the most foreign nation "Italy"....
    As a good Frog, while this thread was turning very Brittiiisss... I started to laugh ...
    <The best and funnier thread I've read in a while>

But this, now I feel it is quite serious

When I've read the quoted sentence of @Stig, I did got the conditional part, (put in bold by me), and didn't feel it was something written to offend.

Even if the meaning of the word "snowflake" was lost on me - It could have been any racist insult for what I care - it did apply for a conditional purpose of "not offending" the correspondent on something previously written. (underlined part )

My un-asked 2c

• Members 746 posts
    May 2, 2023, 8:27 a.m.

Then they've got to put their big boy pants on, stop & have a little think about it, & perhaps realise that it's not worth getting their panties all bunched up over.
    The other option, is to get all offended, start a thread on an interwebz forum, hold grudges for years, round up a posse, and call for the offenders head on a stick.

• Members 3349 posts
    May 2, 2023, 8:55 a.m.

And this is why the "Rule #1: Be nice. That’s it — there is no rule #2" rule didn't work very well on dpreview.

Members/moderators all interpret it differently.

• Members 209 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:26 a.m.

So intended to insult

• Members 746 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:37 a.m.

Well, if you think the truth is insulting, so be it

• Members 509 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:40 a.m.

The way I think of these things is that you can decide to be pleasant, polite, respectful, nice because you think those things are important. Or you can decide that if someone gets upset about something (that in all truth was really meant to upset them), they need to harden up, toughen, grow a thicker skin.

It's a personal choice you make when you write something: do I want to risk upsetting someone (for no reason) or do I want to be a bit more careful?

It does get irritating when you see someone behaving rudely, then playing the victim when someone gets upset and demanding that instead of them moderating their tone, the others need to get tougher. I think in reality we all really know when we have stepped over the line. It's just a case whether we want to own up to it, or blame the other guy. It costs nothing to be civil. Ghundred, I think, is perfectly aware of the difference between civility and being macho. It's a choice.

• Members 18 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:53 a.m.

That arrogant jerk has to go back to his old job soon.A clown in a circus.

• Members 3349 posts
    May 2, 2023, 10:03 a.m.

That is just plain nonsense and makes you look very foolish because you have no idea what any particular person's threshold for feeling offense is and whether that level is good for them or not.

You are making assumptions about other people based on things you know nothing about.

Maybe it's time you return your mum's iPad to where you found it before she realises it's missing 🤣

• May 2, 2023, 10:08 a.m.

I'm tempted to rename this thread to "Letting off steam - feel free to ignore" 🤣😁

• Members 746 posts
    May 2, 2023, 10:11 a.m.

Do tell me how I'm supposed to learn every little facet and nuance of every single persons personality that I'm going to interact with. Intentionally, and inadvertently.

I see you have no hesitation in calling someone very foolish, and telling them they're talking nonsense, when you know nothing about them. I may very well be greatly offended and insulted by that. Pot, kettle, black

• Members 3349 posts
    May 2, 2023, 10:11 a.m.

Yes, great idea......or better yet maybe create a sub-forum "Letting Off Steam and Venting" 😀

• Members 746 posts
    May 2, 2023, 10:13 a.m.

Now that's quite deliberately insulting someone. Hypocrite. The worst kind. Do as I say, not as I do

• Members 209 posts
    May 2, 2023, 10:19 a.m.

So how do you think about the "N-word"?

• Members 3349 posts
    May 2, 2023, 10:19 a.m.

Now you are coming across, to me at least, as weak and stupid because you yourself are now being way " too sensitive and easily offended for their own good." (using your words)

If you need to be taken seriously maybe you should practise what you preach and follow your own advice -

I'm just calling it as I see it 🙂

• Members 139 posts
    May 2, 2023, 10:20 a.m.

I had to lookup the term snowflake.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_(slang)

So it is a derogatory term and perhaps using such language is against the terms of this site.
    Some of the other exchanges are turning nasty too ...

• Members 746 posts
    May 2, 2023, 10:22 a.m.

The irony is strong in this one