If Mako had been moderating this thread, how many people would have been sandboxed?

• 28 votes.
  • Started by bobn2 on May 2, 2023.
0-2
6 votes, 22% of total.
  • 6 votes, 22% of total.
2-4
0 votes, 0% of total.
  • 0 votes, 0% of total.
5-9
3 votes, 11% of total.
  • 3 votes, 11% of total.
10-19
1 vote, 4% of total.
  • 1 vote, 4% of total.
20 or more.
18 votes, 65% of total.
  • 18 votes, 65% of total.
  • Members 143 posts
    May 2, 2023, 8:58 p.m.

Yeah, I am the one who's been arrogant here, and you're the one who has been humble with all your complaints about people being snowflakes, stifling comedians like Chris Rock, and being afflicted by the Dunning-Kruger effect.

And yeah, I thought you suddenly calling someone a snowflake was funny, which was why I responded with an off-hand joke about you being "triggered" which you somehow interpreted as "outrage". How that for the Dunning-Kruger effect?

• Members 510 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:07 p.m.

Deliberate misspelling of the word dude… Yes.
    Jim’s a hipster !

No cuddles, I gave up all that monkey business years ago, after I got rid of my seventh wife.
    No… I didn’t kill her, or any of the others. lol

• Members 217 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:09 p.m.

Can i interrupt to say something. This forum is already better than dpreview has been for a long, long time. An actual conversation - warts and all. It is interesting whether you disagree with one poster or another. Such is life. But this is alive again. Kudos to the magic pixie website fairies (no offence intended ;-) )

• Members 510 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:16 p.m.

@primeshooter

Yes, it’s the greatest place on earth,
    and... I’m not going to get all philosophical, but, the journey through life is full of peaks and valleys. lol

• Members 243 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:22 p.m.

LOL....when you used the word "us" and "toxic masculinity" in the same sentence, I thought the assumption was safe. Since it clearly wasn't it appears you have falsely baited me into the assumption, and now my feelings are hurt more than yours. Perhaps we can discuss this over a Bud Light?

• Members 369 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:35 p.m.

If being a supporter of the US Constitution, equal rights and standing for all in the eyes of the justice system makes me far left, that's a label I'll wear with pride.

• Members 746 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:40 p.m.

You had me, right up until the point you wrote Bud Light. That's as offensive as offensive could get. He he he he.
    I've got to admit (I'm assuming here) that there are rather good American craft beers that I've tried. Some of the American pale ales are spectacular. When I've got a hold of the odd one anyway.

• Members 143 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:41 p.m.

People here are very friendly, but when you make a negative thread about one specific person, not surprisingly things could get very negative and personal, maybe more than the OP intended it to be, and people not acting like themselves anymore, even before you start dragging politics into it. It can show the worst in me, it can show the worst in everyone. This was why I suggested near the beginning that threads like this aren't a good idea. I was banned unfairly from DPR as well, I have my own grievances, but maybe better to express them privately to the admins if needed. And I wouldn't be surprised if they have grievances of their own as well.

• Members 3347 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:42 p.m.

You are acting like you believe no-one else here grew up in the same era as you and didn't experience the same things as you did.

The issue here is that you assumed some people were " too sensitive and easily offended for their own good." (using your words). and then you became way too easily offended when I made assumptions about you.

After becoming offended you then failed to take your own advice that you gave to others -

It's hard for people to take you seriously when you don't practise what you preach.

• Members 3347 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:56 p.m.

@bobn2

I think the pole title is a little misleading because I think every moderator at dpreview would have sandboxed, if not banned, 20+ members posting in this thread.

Like most here, I think the overall moderation at dpreview was way too heavy handed but this thread imo supports my comment elsewhere that the moderation pendulum here at dprevived has swung too far in the opposite direction from where it was at dprevived.

• May 2, 2023, 9:56 p.m.

I got put off American "beer" when they pulled the bottle out of the fridge and the glass out of the freezer. Not only couldn't I taste anything, my tonsils froze up.

I like real ale - and yes, I've had some really good American craft beer (from around the Boston area), but Bud Light???? No thanks.

• Members 457 posts
    May 2, 2023, 9:59 p.m.

Not in the USA.
    Support for conspiracy theories and support for autocratic regimes makes you far right in the USA.

• Members 878 posts
    May 2, 2023, 10 p.m.

[deleted]

• Members 369 posts
    May 2, 2023, 10:03 p.m.

Thanks for the deep belly laugh. I needed that :)

• Members 14 posts
    May 2, 2023, 10:05 p.m.

I am not a fan of moderators on any forum - full stop.

Most people are adult enough to ignore posters who are a nuisance or are abusive and do not need moderators to babysit them.

Moderators are rarely vetted for suitability or ability and receive no training for the position. Very few moderators are objective and most carry bias or prejudice of their own and essentially dictate the mindset of conversations. That has the effect of stifling honest comment and turns the forum into a "common thought" talkfest.