• Members 2285 posts
    June 21, 2023, 8:53 a.m.

me too. set min auto shutter to either 1/125 low light or 1/250 sec everything else

• Members 2285 posts
    June 21, 2023, 9:08 a.m.

the answer is no. iso/gain is analogue before the ADC only extended iso is from raw data.

• Members 78 posts
    June 21, 2023, 9:19 a.m.

I agree Jim, 'conversion gain' is often used in the industry when signals into and out of a (black box) circuit are stated in different units. For instance DN/e- (e.g. out of a PTC) or uV/e- out of a Source Follower, see for instance here or here. I also like 'system gain' as an alternative.

• June 21, 2023, 9:35 a.m.

Not true in all cases. Possibly not true in many cases these days. And once again, ISO is not gain.

• Members 2285 posts
    June 21, 2023, 9:43 a.m.

rain is not actually rain either, but guess what .ask anyone what it is and i bet they all say rain. what do you call it ?
    www.strollswithmydog.com/photographic-sensor-simulation/

• Members 878 posts
    June 21, 2023, 9:45 a.m.

[deleted]

• Members 3343 posts
    June 21, 2023, 10:40 a.m.

Which Canon camera model are you referring to?

In aperture priority + auto ISO my 90D selects base ISO first. Then if the calculated shutter speed is faster than the minimum set the calculated shutter speed is set.

If the calculated shutter speed is slower than the minimum then the minimum shutter speed is set and ISO is raised instead.

• Members 976 posts
    June 21, 2023, 11 a.m.

Having analyzed hundreds of different camera models for LibRaw I know that you are mistaken.

• June 21, 2023, 11:56 a.m.

Canon was late to the auto-ISO party, and its earlier implementations were't very sensible. My Nikons' auto ISO is always exposure priority, that is it will try to find an exposure solution at base ISO before raising the ISO - which is the behaviour you want (apart from them being unable to go below base ISO, which would be appropriate for scenes with a low brightness range). My Canons are too old to even have auto ISO. My Panasonic is also exposure priority, but doesn't have the nice auto shutter speed option. I think that most modern Canons are sensible also.

• Members 520 posts
    June 21, 2023, 12:10 p.m.

Do you believe that whenever anyone presents an image, that they are implying that it was taken at a low ISO with significant exposure? If not, how is presenting a high-ISO image "cheating"?

• Members 520 posts
    June 21, 2023, 12:15 p.m.

That may be true of individual cameras, but there is no such rule.

• Members 878 posts
    June 21, 2023, 2:49 p.m.

[deleted]

• Removed user
    June 21, 2023, 4:41 p.m.

In this beleagured thread, it is interesting (to one who is almost always in Manual) that most responders rely on auto-something when taking their shots!

• June 21, 2023, 4:56 p.m.

I used to go M with auto ISO, then I though if I'm always setting the shutter for FL, why not let the camera do it. Ditto with ISO, if I'm setting the ISO for the shutter speed and f-number, why not let the camera do it?
    Where A with auto ISO and min shutter speed does't quite work (and why it's my 'snapshot mode) is on my Nikons if you use EC with M and auto ISO it lets you tweak the ISO setting, whilst in A it effects the onset of ISO raising, and then tweaking the ISO. Small difference, but sometimes can result in a slight reduction of exposure.

• June 21, 2023, 5:23 p.m.

Pure laziness :)
    Setting correct aperture is most important to me (I'm shooting mostly static objects), thereby I'm using A mode exclusively (often with manual 'bracketing').
    On old SD14 I set ISO, sometimes adjust EV correction and let camera handle shutter speed.
    On x100v I have configured few sets of auto-ISO parameters, I select suitable config (based on overall lighting), sometimes adjust EV correction and let camera handle ISO and shutter speed.

(I would gladly rename ISO to 'camera sensitivity', but ISO is just so much easier to type 🙃)

• Removed user
    June 21, 2023, 6:04 p.m.

Interesting - but my Sigma SD9 "retro" camera has none of the above auto stuff and EC is sensibly disabled in Manusl mode.

• June 21, 2023, 6:14 p.m.

There's nothing at all sensible about disabling EC in M with auto ISO. One can even make a case for it in M with manual ISO as a convenience - it doesn't do anything that you can't do by decentring the meter, but provides a procedure to do it in a systematic way, if that's what you prefer.

• Removed user
    June 21, 2023, 6:41 p.m.

I wouldn't know about "M with auto ISO" ... I've already said that my camera doesn't have it.

I said "sensibly" because, in the case of my camera in Manual, EC is redundant - any exposure "correction" is done by appropriately adjusting the aperture/shutter knobs.

A bit too simple for me. Does the EC adjust the EV or one of either aperture or shutter? The whole thing about my camera's Manual mode is that it is just that and I choose the settings, not the camera.

The procedure that I prefer follows pre-digital convention a la Adams et al and their methods do appear to have been "systematic".