• Members 39 posts
    May 4, 2023, 2:30 a.m.

I was going to write a long write-up here with sample, but then got bit by the 4 MB file size limit. When I reduced the quality so the files would fit under 4 MB the IQ dropped so much the samples and comparison was pretty useless!

Luckily dpreview.com is still up and does not have this limitation, so I posted my write-up and samples over there!

www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4711261

In short, I really like the lens and am happy with the purchase.

• Members 14 posts
    May 6, 2023, 12:35 p.m.

Jekyll: Hi Larry,

Hyde: Yeah, hi bud.

Jekyll: I’ve been looking at the Viltrox 23 for quite some time too.

Hyde: I’d be using it for a lot of sports and events shooting (like indoor basketball, parties, outdoor cycling).

Jekyll: So do you think the AF speed and accuracy are up to Canon’s…

Hyde: or at least Sigma’s levels?

Jekyll: That’s been my biggest hesitation.

Hyde: Any thoughts along those lines would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    J&H

• Members 39 posts
    May 6, 2023, 2:56 p.m.

Had a feeling you two'd be interested in the Viltrox 23, I thought it's one of the few you guys hadn't tried.

With good correction in DxO shooting RAW with something along the lines of the settings I posted on dpreview, you get really nice results that have more character and are somehow slightly richer and more textured than the Canon 22mm or Sigma 16 images. I think this lens is optically as good as those if not a touch better. If I had to add this lens to my 'quality chart' I posted some time ago on dpreview.com, it's not in the same class as the stand-alone Canon EF-M 32mm f1.4, but corrected in DxO, it's definitely in the next class down being as sharp and showing similar fine texture as the Sigma 56mm f1.4 and the other 'sharpest' primes.

I haven't shot it at night to see its flare performance, but my samples so far show that f1.4 in OK to good lighting it's very good. I plan to shoot OOC JPG with it as well and will post them.

I can tell you from the video sample I linked to on Youtube also that it renders gorgeous 4k video. In that video I used 3 lenses: the excellent sharp Canon EF-M 11-22 and EF-M 55-200 along with the Vitrox 23. All the video looked fantastic and quite similar. It's the first video I've shot where I didn't adjust the tone curves, contrast, or saturation of any of the clips in Adobe Premiere pro, it looked so good, and all three lenses rendered similar sharpness and color. I know when I shoot with the Canon EF-M 18-55 kit lens which is also a great video zoom lens, I have to punch up the contrast and saturation a tad and it doesn't have quite the richness to the video the Viltrox has straight out of the camera.

I have a feeling I'm going to be using this lens instead of the Canon 22, unless I'm going somewhere I need to pack the smallest kit and lens possible.

The Viltrox is fast becoming my favorite prime --- this is a well-built, gorgeous lens that balances well on the camera, and having an aperture ring is pretty cool. I didn't think I'd like the silver finish (it's not available for EF-M in black) but I'm finding it quite the handsome lens. I have a silver M6ii and it looks great on that. I'd get a silver EVF-DC2 to go with my black one and black EVF-DC1 for my 3 M6ii bodies, but even used the silver EVFs are quite pricey! I'll keep checking google shopping every day, you never know when a cheap one will pop up.

I told myself I'd go for the Viltrox 23mm if I could get a good used copy for under $200. My trick is to search 'google' shopping results a couple time a day, every day, until you see one for sale on eBay or somewhere else reputable. After a month of this fun 'lottery,' one popped up on UsedPhotoPro website for $181 in perfect condition --- this turns out to be Roberts Camera. I've bought quite a few lenses from then on eBay, always had a great experience and they even offer a 6-month warranty.

I think you'd very much enjoy the Viltrox, Hyde. Jekyll I think it'd grow on you too just as it did on me.

The Canon EF-M lenses have a particular rendering.... I've found the Sigmas have their own which is quite clean and sharp.... all 3 Rokinons I have also have a distinct 'Roki' character which I like, sharp with a slightly warmer lovely rendering... and now I find the Viltrox 23mm has a very nice character that's different than the other brands but which I like quite a lot. Another tool in the 'art' toolbox!

• Members 31 posts
    May 7, 2023, 6:58 p.m.

Thanks Larry!
    It looks from your samples as good as the Canon 22 f/2 - but not up to the Sigma trio (I used to own the 16 and the 56) - what seems to let the Viltrox down is coma and chromatic aberration - giving a halo / glow at the dark/light transitions? I did not see this on my sigmas, just CA and little coma / halation - so easier to correct.
    Does look nice lens for the non pixel peeper though!

• Members 14 posts
    May 10, 2023, 10:07 a.m.

Jekyll: Thank you very much for the mini review here Larry.

Hyde: And the samples in your other thread.

Jekyll: It looks like the lens is at least serviceable.

Hyde: If not outright good!

Jekyll: That “extra stop” would sure come in handy (over the Canon 22).

Hyde: Even though the little 22 does have its own appeal.

Jekyll: My only reservation remains its Autofocus capabilities.

Hyde: Since I’d want to shoot some indoor sports with it.

Jekyll: If you do get the chance to shoot people in action sometime, be sure to post your thoughts. 😊

Hyde: Many thanks for your excellent contributions as always!

J&H