• Members 1534 posts
    July 8, 2024, 11:51 a.m.

This is the weekly Collegial Show Your Photos Any Brand thread where we invite you to show your own pictures. It is collegial in that it is a pleasant and friendly place among photographers to share.

I will begin this thread each Monday (Pacific Standard Time) to give each of you all the chance to share your weekend photos with us, for those that follow a regular work week schedule and choose to do it that way. But the pictures can be taken at any time with any camera, including your cell phone. It's open to all skill levels from beginners to advanced. The images posted can be anything from casual snaps to extraordinary. I'll be sure to comment to each of your photos, if you choose to share. Replies from others are encouraged also.

The intent of this thread to mainly to just show photos in a relaxed way and to generate replies or comments about them. Generally I'm not planning to critique any image unless asked. But I or we may ask things about a photo that may develop into a discussion, always being friendly and helpful. It has been a request that I mention this and from what I've learned from past experience: Can you ask a member first if they would mind you editing their photos?

Remember it's all about the enjoyment of taking pictures regardless of what we have. We can learn from each. Please share any tips or techniques too. A narrative sometimes also helps. Thanks everyone for your participation.

• Members 1534 posts
    July 8, 2024, 12:11 p.m.

Subject: Vegas in the Grove Performance

Here's some of the photos I took indoors with the Canon RP last month of a performance in Forest Grove, Oregon. Photography was not allowed, but I used the silent shutter, no flash and turned the LCD screen up towards the ceiling so it could not be seen easily by any of the audience. As a result, I was able to take these beautiful pictures and no-one said anything that I could not take them. They were concerned that people would disturb others around them; that was the reason they said the photography was not allowed. I actually went to two of these performances and both times no-one approached me about not taking photos. It would have been a shame to not take pictures here with all of these pretty colors and costumes etc. The only drawback was that I was limited to 1/250th of a second shutter speed and the settings were automatic with this camera (when using the silent shutter). As a result there was some motion blur with some of the faster action. But I understand that would not be the case with something like a Canon R5 or R8, where faster shutter speeds could be picked with the silent shutter. I also could have used a workaround with my camera and selected focus bracketing, but the quality of the images are not the greatest some of the time because you have to pick out one of the two images that you think are better. But I may try that next time, since the people are not spread apart on a stage such as this or just spend more money and get another camera for indoor performances. 😀

These photos were from the first performance. I hope you like them.

Edit: I also would have liked to have had another lens like the Canon RF 24-240mm lens. Since a person sometimes cannot pick exactly where they can sit and are seated further back, a little more zoom would have allowed me to get closer.

Photo No. 1
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR1.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    ExposureTime - 1/250 seconds
    FNumber - 7.10
    ISOSpeedRatings - 10000
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 105 mm
    Lens Model - RF24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM

Photo No. 2
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR2.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    FNumber - 7.10
    ISOSpeedRatings - 5000
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 105 mm

Photo No. 3
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR3.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    FNumber - 8
    ISOSpeedRatings - 5000
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 105 mm

Photo No. 4
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR4.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    ExposureTime - 1/200 seconds
    FNumber - 7.10
    ISOSpeedRatings - 6400
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 88 mm

Photo No. 5
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR5.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    ExposureTime - 1/100 seconds
    FNumber - 5.60
    ISOSpeedRatings - 6400
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 50 mm

Photo No. 6
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR6.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    FNumber - 7.10
    ISOSpeedRatings - 12800
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 105 mm

Photo No. 7
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR7.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    ExposureTime - 1/125 seconds
    FNumber - 6.30
    ISOSpeedRatings - 5000
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 54 mm

Photo No. 8
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR8.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    FNumber - 7.10
    ISOSpeedRatings - 8000
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 105 mm

Photo No. 9
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR9.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    ExposureTime - 1/160 seconds
    FNumber - 7.10
    ISOSpeedRatings - 3200
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 68 mm

Photo No. 10
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR10.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    FNumber - 7.10
    ISOSpeedRatings - 12800
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 105 mm

Photo No. 11
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR11.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    FNumber - 7.10
    ISOSpeedRatings - 12800
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 95 mm

Photo No. 12
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR12.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    FNumber - 8
    ISOSpeedRatings - 8000
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 105 mm

Photo No. 13
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR13.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    FNumber - 8
    ISOSpeedRatings - 6400
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 105 mm

Photo No. 14
    ResizedCanonRP-DPR14.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    FNumber - 6.30
    ISOSpeedRatings - 4000
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 76 mm

ResizedCanonRP-DPR10.jpg

JPG, 315.8 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

ResizedCanonRP-DPR3.jpg

JPG, 328.5 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

ResizedCanonRP-DPR11.jpg

JPG, 191.8 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

ResizedCanonRP-DPR13.jpg

JPG, 251.2 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

ResizedCanonRP-DPR14.jpg

JPG, 160.5 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

ResizedCanonRP-DPR12.jpg

JPG, 192.2 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

ResizedCanonRP-DPR7.jpg

JPG, 185.2 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

ResizedCanonRP-DPR8.jpg

JPG, 174.8 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

ResizedCanonRP-DPR9.jpg

JPG, 186.9 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

ResizedCanonRP-DPR5.jpg

JPG, 178.3 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

ResizedCanonRP-DPR2.jpg

JPG, 205.7 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

ResizedCanonRP-DPR6.jpg

JPG, 167.0 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

ResizedCanonRP-DPR1.jpg

JPG, 202.9 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

ResizedCanonRP-DPR4.jpg

JPG, 162.8 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

• Members 669 posts
    July 8, 2024, 12:58 p.m.

Dig,

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the RP that you would be limited to 250ss and automatic settings?

Steve Thomas

• Members 1534 posts
    July 8, 2024, 1:23 p.m.

Hi Steve,

I edited it again that the limitation of 1/250th of a second is when choosing the silent shutter option. That should clarify that. It appeared that the camera selected the shutter speed based on the focal length chosen, and the maximum of 1/250th of a second was when the focal length was 105mm.

• Foundation 1389 posts
    July 8, 2024, 1:26 p.m.

Digi,

Rather than turn the screen to the ceiling, why not turn it around and close it? Alternatively, I am pretty sure there is a setting that turns it off.

Best,

David

• Members 1534 posts
    July 8, 2024, 1:32 p.m.

David,

Yes, I believe we discussed that last time. I could have done that. It's easy to change in the menu where only the viewfinder is illuminated. But at the time, tilting the LCD screen up towards the ceiling worked. Next time, I'll consider shutting off the LCD screen completely.

• Members 1534 posts
    July 8, 2024, 1:45 p.m.

David,

I checked...yes, I replied about shutting off the LCD screen on the "The Weekly Collegial Show Your Photos Starting 17 June 2024 Any Brand" thread. I had just shown one photo of the performance at that time. I took quite a few photos, so I thought I would share a lot more now.

It would be neat to be able to take pictures of performances at higher shutter speeds (with the silent shutter option) and with more reach. I'll have to budget for the next upgrades. There's always something. 😀

• Members 549 posts
    July 8, 2024, 3:48 p.m.

A nice set Digirame!. Nice colors and it also show how well those recent Canon sensors do when using high ISO settings 😎

I'll hope to be able to post a few photos from this weekend later today, bit busy😕

• Foundation 1389 posts
    July 8, 2024, 4:12 p.m.

Sorry! i had forgotten our previous conversation about this. But what about turning the screen right around? I believe that also turns it off, and is easily done. Or is this something I can only do with the R6?

David

• Members 1534 posts
    July 8, 2024, 7:23 p.m.

David,

Yes, I could have turned it around also. But the reason I had the LCD screen up, is I could lower the camera a little and peek at the images without using the viewfinder (which is what I did and it did not seem to disturb anyone for they could not see what I could see). It's a matter of picking different ways to use the camera. But since I don't go to indoor performances a lot, I'll have to wait for next time to see what is best.

Would you be able to use the Canon R6 with the silent shutter at an indoor performance also and be able to choose your own settings? That would be cool if you could, where there was no flash, no shutter noise and no noticeable lights coming from the camera. I think you also have the Canon RF 24-240mm lens, so you would have an advantage there too over what I was using (if I remember correctly).

• Members 1534 posts
    July 8, 2024, 7:36 p.m.

Photobygms,

Thanks. For the indoor lighting I used AWB, which seemed to be accurate. But I found on cloudy days, AWB was not really all that good. That's when I use cloudy white balance.

Yes, high ISO Canon RP images are excellent. DxO Mark ISO levels scores were comparable to other Canon full frame cameras. The Canon R8 was a little better in that regard, but not by much. At least that is what I recall.

• Members 1534 posts
    July 8, 2024, 7:45 p.m.

Photobygms,

That would be great to see your photos. I know what you mean...I've been busy also. Some of my photos are taken while I'm doing chores, in between tasks. I often take my cameras with me. That's where the M-series cameras are handy, in that they are so tiny relative to the larger mirrorless full frame and DSLR cameras.

• Members 1534 posts
    July 8, 2024, 7:51 p.m.

Subject: Ordinary Ducks in Special Lighting

Here is where I had fun taking pictures of a duck on a floating piece of wood on a pond. The lighting was special so I got some photos like this. I thought of cropping the image of the duck a little differently, but I'll show them this way. But if you want me to try to present this differently, please let me know, where the duck is not so high in the image. I had it that way, to show the reflection.

Photo No. 1
    Resized800D-DPR1.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS 800D
    ExposureTime - 1/640 seconds
    FNumber - 8
    ISOSpeedRatings - 500
    ExposureBiasValue - -1
    FocalLength - 600 mm
    Lens Model - TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD A011

Photo No. 2
    Resized800D-DPR2.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS 800D
    ExposureTime - 1/640 seconds
    FNumber - 8
    ISOSpeedRatings - 800
    ExposureBiasValue - -0.67
    FocalLength - 600 mm
    Lens Model - TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD A011

Resized800D-DPR2.jpg

JPG, 187.2 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

Resized800D-DPR1.jpg

JPG, 162.0 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 8, 2024.

• Foundation 1389 posts
    July 8, 2024, 7:51 p.m.

It seems from what you write that you had to hold the camera up in the air, which I didnt realise!

I have never used the silent (fully electronic) shutter on my R6. But I dont think there are limits on settings. There is, however, sometimes a problem with so called "rolling shutter" effects, which you dont want.

Yes, I have and like very much the RF24-240 lens, but be aware that at the telephoto end it has a maximum aperture of f/6.3, which might be a bit slow for the lighting conditions of some shows, though I see that you stopped down further than that in the photos above (Good job, by the way!).

The most irritating experience I had of mechanical shutter noise was when I was doing an audio recording of a large choir show in a big hotel near Houston. The photographer was one of those obnoxious types that walks around between the performers and the audience during the music, and she kept standing right underneath my microphones!

David

• Members 549 posts
    July 8, 2024, 8:02 p.m.

Last weekend we had a rainy Saturday so we did some shopping 😏
    The Sunday promised to be better so we did go for a hike.
    Visited Dwingelderveld National Park again for a hike, started at parking area we didn't visit very often and followed parts of different new (for us) hiking trails
    A bit cloudy, some sun and a decent temperature so a nice day for a hike.

IMR_1934.jpg
    IMR_1927.jpg
    IMR_1926.jpg
    IMR_1891.jpg
    IMR_1876.jpg
    IMR_1878.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    5D4_3169.jpg
    5D4_3166.jpg
    5D4_3159.jpg
    5D4_3143.jpg

IMR_1927.jpg

JPG, 1.3 MB, uploaded by Photobygms on July 8, 2024.

IMR_1876.jpg

JPG, 2.2 MB, uploaded by Photobygms on July 8, 2024.

IMR_1934.jpg

JPG, 916.0 KB, uploaded by Photobygms on July 8, 2024.

IMR_1878.jpg

JPG, 1.6 MB, uploaded by Photobygms on July 8, 2024.

IMR_1926.jpg

JPG, 854.1 KB, uploaded by Photobygms on July 8, 2024.

IMR_1891.jpg

JPG, 1.1 MB, uploaded by Photobygms on July 8, 2024.

5D4_3169.jpg

JPG, 846.8 KB, uploaded by Photobygms on July 8, 2024.

IMG_1956.jpg

JPG, 731.8 KB, uploaded by Photobygms on July 8, 2024.

5D4_3143.jpg

JPG, 1006.7 KB, uploaded by Photobygms on July 8, 2024.

5D4_3166.jpg

JPG, 484.7 KB, uploaded by Photobygms on July 8, 2024.

5D4_3159.jpg

JPG, 574.5 KB, uploaded by Photobygms on July 8, 2024.

• Members 1534 posts
    July 8, 2024, 8:18 p.m.

David,

I did have the camera up to my face and used the viewfinder when pushing the shutter button. I was sitting down and fortunately I did not have a big person in front of me. So, yes the camera was up in the air a little. I just was trying to not be obvious, so I tilted the LCD screen so the people behind me would not easily see it and report me to someone to force me to stop taking pictures. So, when I lowered the camera a little to see the LCD screen images, my body shielded any noticeable light coming from the camera (from the people behind me). Because I chimp images a lot using the LCD screen, I found if a person pulls the LCD screen away from the body, then we do not trigger that sensor that shuts off the LCD screen (the one that is by the viewfinder). So commonly for my M-series and RP cameras, that LCD screen is pulled out. It's my workaround so I can continue to chimp my images using the LCD screen that way. 😀 I chimp a lot, so I don't have to modify the images as much on my computer. That's the reason I can take and show so many images each week. I take way more photos than I show here. It's a out-of-control hobby that I enjoy. 😀

By the way, if that sensor by the viewfinder gets dirty enough, you'll have a failure in it operating properly. Put tape over it and see. 😀 At first I thought my camera was broken when all it needed was a little cleaning. It's happened twice.

I hope you try to take some silent shutter photos at a performance. It's so much nicer than the mechanical shutter noise that we can sometimes have with the older cameras.

• Members 1534 posts
    July 8, 2024, 8:31 p.m.

Photobygms,

I liked seeing the clouds. We have cloudless skies now, as we have entered the dry season. The temperatures can be over 100F and somewhere near 40C. But that's peak temperatures. At night the temperatures drop a lot where I live, so it's not that bad.

It's neat seeing the person along the forest trail. I understanding taking pictures of strangers can be different in each country, but where I live it's perfectly legal (generally in public where there's no expectation of privacy). Sometimes people might object even though it's legal, but I like it because it shows "people life" in the image, even if they are very far away. Or maybe that's you in the image. 😀 Either way...if it's you or someone else, I think it is neat.

I like that you were able to isolate the flowers and the birds, with your telephoto lens. I have found that it can be harder to get closer to birds in wild open areas like where you hike compared to parks where the birds are used to people. Parks that way are great places to find wildlife.

• Foundation 1389 posts
    July 9, 2024, 5:55 a.m.

Sorry, I am no help in this matter! I dont know what "chimping" is,*** and only take photos during applause. The Leica shutter is pretty quiet anyway.

I took this shot in the Vienna Konzerthaus at a concert by Ukrainian musicians in June.

Full frame:

L1000222_b.jpg

100% crop:

L1000222_c.jpg

Best,

David

PS: I looked up chimping, and I do it all the time!

L1000222_c.jpg

JPG, 4.2 MB, uploaded by davidwien on July 9, 2024.

L1000222_b.jpg

JPG, 1.6 MB, uploaded by davidwien on July 9, 2024.