• Foundation 1400 posts
    July 9, 2024, 10:26 a.m.

I always shoot raw and post-process, but I am getting a little behind in posting. As I told you, there are more road- and railworks in Vienna than usual this summer. These pictures show Praterstrasse, which has been dismantled for 13 months now. There are at least two other similar major roadworks, where tramlines are being replaced and cycle paths built, and two important sections of the local rail and subway networks are closed for similar work, placing a greater strain on the rest of the network and generally making the inhabitants irritated. I dont know what the tourists make of it all -- I would be tempted to ask for my money back!

The pictures follow my walk along the street. The first two show the continuing desolation:

L1000517_b.jpg

L1000518_b.jpg

Looking the other direction from the same spot, we see major house rebuilding going on. The street used to be two lanes each way; but now there is only one lane leading out of town. On that side of the road there is now a bi-directional cycle path, and on this side only in one direction, towards the city. Note the lights high above the street on cables.

L1000519_b.jpg

A little further up the street (the same tree), we see more desolation and abandoned tools. The good news here is that it looks like another tree will be planted by the entrance to the subway station.

L1000522_b.jpg

Halfway up the street we can see the improved cycle path on this side. But I think the most exciting change is the replacement of the overthead street lights that were slung from cables by lower and more closely-spaced lighting.

L1000528_b.jpg

Nearly at the end of the street now, and looking to the left, it appears that one of the streets that feeds it will be closed off. It is not entirely clear what the plan is here, but this street is hard for trucks to negotiate, with parking on both sides.

L1000529_b.jpg

Turning around, here is a cheap and cheerful (look closely!) panorama, which looks pretty much the same as it has for months. The partially visible clock on the station is now within 2 minutes of the time in my camera! These (invisible) workers had better get a move on if they are to be finished by Christmas.

Panorama1-b.jpg

David

Panorama1-b.jpg

JPG, 6.2 MB, uploaded by davidwien on July 9, 2024.

L1000529_b.jpg

JPG, 1.6 MB, uploaded by davidwien on July 9, 2024.

L1000528_b.jpg

JPG, 2.0 MB, uploaded by davidwien on July 9, 2024.

L1000522_b.jpg

JPG, 1.7 MB, uploaded by davidwien on July 9, 2024.

L1000519_b.jpg

JPG, 1.4 MB, uploaded by davidwien on July 9, 2024.

L1000518_b.jpg

JPG, 1.8 MB, uploaded by davidwien on July 9, 2024.

L1000517_b.jpg

JPG, 1.9 MB, uploaded by davidwien on July 9, 2024.

• Members 1567 posts
    July 9, 2024, 2 p.m.

David,

I'm glad you found the word "chimping" in regards to photography. I saw that term quite some time ago and realized that is what I continually do too!

The silent shutter is really nice. From what I was reading for the Canon R6 Mark II there are some limitations, like what the Canon website writes "images of fast-moving subjects may look distorted". I have no idea what they mean by "fast-moving". How fast is fast? 😀 I suppose each of us should test this silent shutter option (if available for the camera we are using) and see if it is something that we feel iwe can use all the time at indoor performances.

That's interesting you write that you would wait for an applause before taking pictures. I did that somewhat the same. When I would use the mechanical shutter with my DSLR cameras at a play without a flash, I would wait for either laughter or an applause from the audience. Then I would take the pictures. I would hope also that the people on the stage were not moving too fast, so I could freeze the action with my DSLR camera. So I got a few photos that way, without disturbing the audience.

• Members 1567 posts
    July 9, 2024, 2:12 p.m.

David,

The 100% crop of the Leica image at the Vienna Konzerthaus is impressive...wow...really nice!

• Members 1567 posts
    July 9, 2024, 2:53 p.m.

David,

Seeing the road and rail construction is interesting. It's pretty much a normal activity for us here, especially when financially times are good. Those orange "cones" are required for safety and to direct traffic, but I try to avoid them when taking pictures. We call them "cones" because they are shaped that way where I live (as you most likely know). It's interesting that they are designed differently in Vienna. I wonder why that is...are they better that way?

• Members 1567 posts
    July 9, 2024, 3:13 p.m.

David,

I'm glad you liked the indoor performance pictures I took. The Canon RP silent shutter automatic settings, selected the aperture. I had no control over that. That is why that maybe a Canon R5 (as recommended by someone on Dpreview) or the Canon R8 might be better. I took a tremendous amount of pictures. I continually kept taking pictures in complete silence even though it was completely "verboten". No-one complained at all through both performances. There was no reason to do so since there was no noise or noticeable lights coming from the camera. Everyone was cool about it. 😀

• Members 1567 posts
    July 11, 2024, 9:55 p.m.

Subject: 1937 Packard Super 8

A little over a week ago I saw another 1937 car. This time it was a Packard Super 8. It's amazing all the work that someone did to restore this car to such perfection.

Photo No. 1
    ResizedM50-1-DPR1.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS M50m2
    ExposureTime - 1/250 seconds
    FNumber - 10
    ISOSpeedRatings - 2500
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 16 mm
    Lens Model - EF-M15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM

Photo No. 2
    ResizedM50-1-DPR2.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS M50m2
    ExposureTime - 1/400 seconds
    FNumber - 10
    ISOSpeedRatings - 4000
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 15 mm

Photo No. 3
    ResizedM50-1-DPR3.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS M50m2
    ExposureTime - 1/250 seconds
    FNumber - 10
    ISOSpeedRatings - 2000
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 15 mm

What type of old cars have you found? I hope to see them.

ResizedM50-1-DPR3.jpg

JPG, 244.3 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 11, 2024.

ResizedM50-1-DPR2.jpg

JPG, 288.7 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 11, 2024.

ResizedM50-1-DPR1.jpg

JPG, 285.9 KB, uploaded by Digirame on July 11, 2024.

• Members 598 posts
    July 15, 2024, 11:17 p.m.

Just some clouds:

20120907 -- 190116 -- 1.jpg

20120907 -- 190116 -- 1.jpg

JPG, 530.1 KB, uploaded by GreatBustard on July 15, 2024.

• Members 1567 posts
    July 16, 2024, 5:06 a.m.

GreatBustard,

I like it. I take similar photos of sky and clouds often, with a little bit of land below.