• Members 676 posts
    March 28, 2023, 12:39 a.m.

Just a test to post something close to those DPR entries that I have in the past with a short narrative ….. Dogs …

Dogs.jpg

and a couple pictures of Milo from 2021

MIlo.jpg

Milo2.jpg

Sadly Milo is no longer with us …...

How does this play on DPRevived? ….. how do we put that thread together here .. and maintain a coherent conversation? …. or do we wait for a threaded view?

WhyNot

Milo2.jpg

JPG, 253.0 KB, uploaded by WhyNot on March 28, 2023.

MIlo.jpg

JPG, 249.0 KB, uploaded by WhyNot on March 28, 2023.

Dogs.jpg

JPG, 667.7 KB, uploaded by WhyNot on March 28, 2023.

• Members 281 posts
    March 28, 2023, 1:37 a.m.

Cats are so cool. Milo #1!
    Dogs? Not so much.

• Members 1383 posts
    March 28, 2023, 2:16 a.m.

We of the Critique Thread on Oly SLR are wondering the same thing. Our kinds of threads work well with threaded view but are not very amenable to the flat display. Will be interested to see what you do and how it works.

• Members 676 posts
    March 28, 2023, 2:35 a.m.

Thanks for stopping by .. while awkward it seems the reply structure might keep the conversation together for a post but no real way to group the posts that I see .. yet .... kinda leads to that one and done that most photo forums have and I think is a good reason that replies and posts there are spread out so far over time .... Doesn't lead to generating communities like we had with the two main tribes on OSLRT on DPR May have to play with what we have here, if we decide to play at all. until the threaded view arrives ......

WhyNot

• Members 485 posts
    March 28, 2023, 4:11 a.m.

I'm entering this reply using the reply that is within the post rather than the one at the top. There have already been several replies at this point so it will be interesting to see where this ends up, if it threads or just drops to the bottom.

I have to admit I was wondering about Milo, since we haven't seen him in recent visits. He definitely had a unique look with those curly ears! That's what makes the loss of DPR so sad, and infuriating. The old posts will be gone, along with the memories that were captured at the time.

I expect to spend the rest of my week looking through Sunday Cat! threads from day 1 and looking for candidates to highlight at the end. But it all disappears soon...

• Members 510 posts
    March 28, 2023, 4:32 a.m.

Same with the Weekly Thread and there probably are other, similar, threads. Personally I think we shouldn't wait for threaded. Risk is we lose speed and interest if we wait too long. That the threads die, so to speak.

To get those threads going is also a way to get people over here while we can still reach everyone.

• Members 676 posts
    March 28, 2023, 2:27 p.m.

KK at the Window

Adding a second set to see how the reply looks as part of a conversation .. So here is KK at the window

KK.jpg

A bit tired of the camera …..

KK2.jpg

also just trying to see how easy the process is ….. ( creating seems easy enough .. didn't get the pictures centered, not sure how to do that ..... will have to read separately to see how it looks .. Not sure this is a solution to our subforums )

WhyNot

Having looked at it it seems usable as a start!!!!

KK2.jpg

JPG, 420.3 KB, uploaded by WhyNot on March 28, 2023.

KK.jpg

JPG, 300.6 KB, uploaded by WhyNot on March 28, 2023.

• Members 1383 posts
    March 28, 2023, 3:13 p.m.

Agree. We of the critique thread are in discussions about the best way to proceed. I've asked for a separate critique section here, like all other photography forums have, but a place to start as a weekly share thread is an OK way to begin. I guess we could still use the old Oly section for it as we have for all these years, till the dust settles here, especially since regular participants do know it as a place to find us.

• Members 510 posts
    March 28, 2023, 4:36 p.m.

But aren't there several C&C threads at DPR? I don't read all forums, but I think I've seen a few.

• Members 676 posts
    March 28, 2023, 5:42 p.m.

Then again there is only ONE of Olympus SLR Talk!! .....

WhyNot

• Members 510 posts
    March 28, 2023, 5:45 p.m.

Yes, but minniev suggested there should be one for this whole forum.

• Members 1383 posts
    March 28, 2023, 6:02 p.m.

The one in the Oly section is open to all brands of cameras. Some may be pertinent only to the particular brand that it is housed under.

Critique is a non- brand related activity, so there's no need for them to be separate. Every other photo forum on the internet has a free standing critique section that is non brand specific.

• Members 1383 posts
    March 28, 2023, 6:04 p.m.

Indeed. Oly SLR forum has stayed active by hosting a number of interesting cross-brand activities that are photo-centric.

• Members 676 posts
    March 28, 2023, 7:25 p.m.

IMHO ….. The Oly SLR Forum was unique because of its limited interest in Gear – some questions about features and uses and fixes, some discussion of the the older SLRs both film and digital .. but not the arguments that prevailed in the old DSLR gear forum … Also the smaller participation by members, some of who may just stumble onto these Threads from other gear forums, led to a community atmosphere. I like to think of these forums as round tables where we sit and discuss photography and occasionally go off topic rather than as a photo club with many member who sit in the audience … Generating communities takes time and breaking into one may take longer ...but then that's the way we are … Moving to a larger forum may easily replace the table with an audience whose interest in any other member is limited …. these relationships take time. ….. Again IMHO -- The photo forums tended to be a photo club with few conversations generated .. maybe not enough time passed from their introduction ?? ….. IMHO ...

• Members 1383 posts
    March 28, 2023, 7:38 p.m.

I agree with you about smaller vs larger forum, and the non-gear nature of the Oly SLR, which is why I stayed there rather than following my "brand" to the MFT section. That community atmosphere can be lost in large settings, though there are things members and moderators can do to foster it (or to deter it). It is a valid question whether we tinker with the magic by creating more appropriate section divisions, or whether we try to transplant the Oly SLR over here with all its unusual mixture of ingredients and try to keep its magic intact.

• Members 510 posts
    March 28, 2023, 9:33 p.m.

I have hardly participated at all in that thread, so I really shouldn't have an opionion. But I agree with what WN says and I think I would probably not have participated at all if it had been a huge thread for all the forum.

• Members 61 posts
    March 28, 2023, 10:10 p.m.

I used the upload button to try to post a photo. Still waiting for it to complete.

2 kitties in a tree small.jpg

JPG, 209.7 KB, uploaded by Slojoe on March 28, 2023.

• Members 14 posts
    March 28, 2023, 10:12 p.m.

We lost our Shih Tsu Max last Thanksgiving so I love your first photo. This is a portrait done by an artist we met at a craft show shortly after we put Max to sleep. He was 16 years old.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

JPG, 307.2 KB, uploaded by swandy on March 28, 2023.