• Members 789 posts
    June 25, 2023, 7:27 a.m.

This works really well.

• Members 1457 posts
    June 25, 2023, 10:17 a.m.

I quess so. I have lived here for 35years and I took out Italian citizenship way back in 1990. We knew an Italian High Court judge, who "encouraged" the Italian Home Office to get it done quickly. I have to travel on an Italian passport because my new British one came back with a "Not valid for travel".

• Members 1457 posts
    June 25, 2023, 10:19 a.m.

A great set as usual, I particularly like the last three evening shots.

• Members 1457 posts
    June 25, 2023, 10:21 a.m.

Some great perspective in this shot. The girl lifts it out of the ordinary. I did like the colour shot you posted further ahead a little better.

• Members 1457 posts
    June 25, 2023, 10:25 a.m.

Your dog pictures are really great, You sure know how to pull character out of our canine friends.

I think we need to be patient an see how their threaded format works out. I hope we stay here. Some of the mods on DPR are not missed, in fact I cannot be bothered with DPR anymore.

• Members 1457 posts
    June 25, 2023, 10:26 a.m.

A really nice set. I like you play on focus effects.

• Members 196 posts
    June 25, 2023, 6:58 p.m.

Great to see you over here, your weekly thread was possibly the best on DPreview with great images from all kinds of gear and little or no angst 👍

• Members 789 posts
    June 25, 2023, 11:19 p.m.

Wow, 35 years. Did you find you were suddenly more attractive to women when you became Italian?

• Members 789 posts
    June 25, 2023, 11:20 p.m.

Well hang around then!

• Members 114 posts
    June 26, 2023, 5:10 a.m.

False colour IR- full spectrum conversion and a dark red filter, most post processing in Lightroom with channel swap and hue refinement in Photoshop. I was hoping for less haze but the wind shifted and brought in more wildfire smoke.

230625-ReferenceIR-012-Edit.jpg

230625-ReferenceIR-012-Edit.jpg

JPG, 5.0 MB, uploaded by Athena on June 26, 2023.

• Members 1457 posts
    June 26, 2023, 6:10 a.m.

Unfortunately the answer is no.

• Members 1457 posts
    June 26, 2023, 6:11 a.m.

For some reason this reminds me of those pictures that came back from Mars. Anyway it is a nice effect.

• Members 789 posts
    June 26, 2023, 9:38 a.m.

I prefer IR style shot that look like fake winter scenes or when the environment looks other-wordly. This looks very other-wordly! Like it a lot.

• Members 796 posts
    June 26, 2023, 11:04 a.m.

Navigating this weekly thread without a "threaded view" is quite a pain! I get lost looking for posts I thought I had seen before, it is a real time-waster and confusing too, when we just have one extra long thread, all mixed up and several pages long. Didn't realise how useful the "threaded view" was on DPR, until it was gone.
    I'm looking forward to the inclusion of that new threaded possibility here. Bob has mentioned the first step of that new feature should be available in something like a week from now, that's quite close and good news :-)
    If it turns out to be implemented in a good way, then it would definitely improve this site for our weekly thread use-case quite a lot.

I don't have any personal worries about going back to DPR, I was never impolite enough, or agressive enough or annoying enough to get banned :-)
    The DPR mods removed posts that got very off-topic or just ended up in a stupid insulting match. That removal was fine for me. I didn't participate in such threads. And I didn't have to waste time seeing & reading them, just to see who could "win" by gathering the most "rhetorical points" and making the other person look stupid. Entertaining perhaps for a while, but it gets very tiring, very quickly. Removing them was good. Not sure how this website will turn out in the long run without mods ? Maybe continued use of the "dumpster" (which I haven't looked at yet) would work OK if is used "enough" (difficult to define "enough" of course)

Bob & the team have put in a lot of hard work here, That is very much appreciated!!!

The number of people here in this weekly thread seems to have decreased rather than increased, as i thought it might. That is a shame. Maybe it is partly due to the missing threaded view? but partly also due to the fact that the original DPR forum members have been split into multiple new smaller websites.
    Now that DPR is alive again I guess many will go back to DPR. Over 1000 people commented on the recent news release that DPR will not die after all - and I guess 99% of all those comments were all positive.

I enjoy the weekly photo thread and will stay with it. Wormsmeat does a great job!
    From the other comments on this, it seems like staying here is popular and I'm happy with that :-)
    Would be good though if we can somehow attract more new people to participate, or at least not lose any more of the regulars.
    We can always wait and see what happens here with this site, and re-evalute later.

It would be a real shame and disappointing if this site withers and dies, after all the hard work from Bob & the team.
    I wish us all luck!

• Members 119 posts
    June 26, 2023, 12:13 p.m.

I just saw the email in my spam folder announcing the permanence. I miss the threaded functionality. Also, years of content in dpreview. I don't want to hop back and forth between two forums.

I forgot to quote your original post and I tried to delete so I could repost and couldn't. I had to insert the quote into my original post. So many nuances that the old site. I don't want to have to fight with the new kid until they get up to speed. And even then they won't have the previous content.

I appreciate the effort of those who gave us a landing place, but their forum has a huge uphill battle to catch up.

• Members 1457 posts
    June 26, 2023, 1:46 p.m.

I will just add that the M43 weekly picture thread was getting steadily, less and less posts in the last year or so of DPR, I remember its heyday, when it was often relaunched in three parts. I think Wormsmeat was going to shift it to (I would imagine) the Open forum. I think this was because M43 was becoming a less popular format choice, and also because interest in camera based photography is sharply declining.

I think we just have to accept that mass participation in this thread is a thing of the past. I see some new names here in this thread, so I guess it might stat to grow.

Yes, the threaded view is desperately needed. I hate the format of all other forums without this possibility.

• Members 1103 posts
    June 26, 2023, 2:35 p.m.

I fully second your sentiment, particularly the last one.

• Members 796 posts
    June 26, 2023, 2:40 p.m.

That shot made me smile!
    A real good idea to paint the mooring bollards like sheep. That person has a nice sense of humour.
    Just imagine if a real sheep wanders along the quay and someone, after looking a little too deep into his whisky bottle, moores up a huge ship to it by mistake ;-)