• Members 789 posts
    June 25, 2024, 10:06 a.m.

This one is good with its strong contrast and the leading double lines on the road

• Members 789 posts
    June 25, 2024, 10:16 a.m.

Very well done !
    Very pretty, lovely costumes and poses too !
    The LED's on the costumes are very creative
    These are my favouritres

• Members 789 posts
    June 25, 2024, 10:18 a.m.

You saved the best until last :-)

• Members 268 posts
    June 25, 2024, 8:58 p.m.

I totally agree, just shooting B&W in JPG would be completely throwing away the option to switch it back to colour at a later stage or try different filtration and so on.

What I'm doing here is setting the camera to B&W when composing and taking the shot, but shooting in raw+JPG, that way I get a B&W jpg plus a full colour raw file. I'd prefer to just shoot in raw, but Fuji cameras just use the low res JPG embedded in the raw file for playback which is near useless for checking focus on, but if there's a JPG available as well, it will use that instead.

So, with this setup, all the colour information is still present in the raw file, but it's tagged as being in the B&W profile. Capture One respects the film sim settings on import, so it comes through into the editor in B&W if shot that way, but as it's really a colour image I can just change film sim in C1 to get the colours back.

I'd imagine most other mirrorless cameras will work this way, although I haven't tried doing the same thing with any of the others I own just yet. It's worth a go though, I've found it quite an interesting experience.

• Members 789 posts
    June 25, 2024, 9:44 p.m.

Thanks Steve :-)
    ... that makes a lot of sense. I just tried it on my Z7 and works very nicely with that camera too. I put the "picture control" on to "MY MENU" so I can change quickly between monochrome or back again to normal.
    As suggested, I chose RAW + JPG and I get the full colour RAW that displays as a B&W photo until I start to edit it, when the full colours become visible. The JPG is of course a hard baked B&W version of the same. I can also set to just RAW if I want to.

So that's something new for me to try on a next trip :-)

• Members 311 posts
    June 26, 2024, 4:10 p.m.

I agree that in these examples BW works better, as it turns leaves into uniform background and allows to concentrate on shape of trunk and branches. With colour version green leaves appear brighter and catch attention instead of being background.