• Members 19 posts
    April 22, 2023, 11:31 a.m.

Hi,

My apologies if posted here before. For anyone interested in the 27mm FL, there are now leaked images of the new Viltrox 27/1.2 over at Fuji Rumors. Many people have called for a faster 27mm - perhaps an f1.4 or f2. Viltrox appear to have gone all out.... In a few words, it's a large lens - almost the same size as their 75/1.2- and predictably bears no resemblance to the tiny Fuji XF27/2.8. I'm sure this lens will have its fans, but personally I'll be keeping my XF27WR. Link... FYI

www.fujirumors.com/leaked-first-images-of-viltrox-27mm-f-1-2-pro-xf-vs-viltrox-75mm-f-1-2/

Regards, Rod

• Members 3 posts
    April 22, 2023, 3:59 p.m.

First post here, was at the defunct photography review site for 22 years....

Wow what a huge tank of a lens. Nice & fast at f1.2, but I'll pass since I'm trying to keep my kit lightweight. Viltrox seems to be on a roll with their lenses of late. Hopefully they can bring out some nice compact lenses for old guys like me. ;-)

• Members 113 posts
    April 24, 2023, 2:27 p.m.

Looks like a nice lens and all, but why make it f/1.2? It just increases its size and weight. 27mm is a nice focal length for travel and general shooting, and given that Fuji already has the f/2.8, why not make it f/2? Who carries a 27 f/1.2 for travel, general shooting, and the likes?

• Members 535 posts
    April 24, 2023, 3:14 p.m.

Bokehphiles? Those interested in photographing nightlife? Why not not offer this lens to target a market that isn’t already covered by Fuji?

• Members 4 posts
    April 24, 2023, 6 p.m.

I have the Sigma 40mm 1.4 for FF, this will be a 40mm FOV so as a wide angle portrait lens, the 1.2 is attractive. I am eagerly awaiting the release and reviews. I have a studio and a remote portrait rig, the SIgma 40mm (and 105 1.4) aren’t light lenses and shooting a wedding as example, it’s fatiguing!

• Members 113 posts
    April 25, 2023, 9:49 a.m.

Who is going to stick such a lens into the face of someone to get a big nose portrait with blurred background? A f/2 lens is also not covered by Fuji, and it would cost half and weigh half. And it would be perfectly fine for nightlife. Shooting a street lamp at night at f/1.2 with nothing else identifiable will become a bit boring once the novelty wears off.

• Members 535 posts
    April 25, 2023, 11:41 a.m.

There should be an internet law that’s something on the order of The answer to all questions beginning with who would is somebody other than you. Someone with different goals, aesthetics, priorities, and needs.

I used a Noctilux (and Tri-X pushed to 1600) to make environmental portraits in NYC nightclubs for many years. Not every photograph is a close-up.

So I guess the answer to your specific question might be me. However, I’m not planning to add this particular lens to my quiver. I’ll concede that my X100V with the ISO cranked generally serves my purpose. Besides, I no longer play in NYC regularly and CBGBs is now a well-lit Patagonia Store.

Update:

Past experience told me I wasn’t totally off-base, but I was using a different focal length and format. I was curious. I ran the numbers using Photo Pills. Using this lens wide open on the X-Pro 3, focused on a subjects eyes 1.5 m/4.5ish feet away, provides 6ish inches of DOF to play with. That gets me nose and ears in focus with a tiny bit of margin. Razor thin, but I can make that work, and have done so in the past. It’s a style that isn’t to everyone’s taste. I wouldn’t use it for a senior portrait myself. But it’s there if needed. As Kate Bishop would say, a trick arrow.

• Members 113 posts
    April 26, 2023, 7:32 a.m.

50mm is different from 27mm in APSC.

• Members 535 posts
    April 26, 2023, 1:09 p.m.

The numbers presented represent the DOF for 27mm on an X-Pro 3.