• Members 1185 posts
    June 30, 2023, 2:06 p.m.

That's clever. As well as the juxtaposition of the two, the scale of the quarry workout about right as well. Big enough to be a signifant challenge for the well equipped and mounted hunters. Not so big that credibility is lost. Far enough away and camouflaged for the searching mode of the hunters.
    The contrast between the two sides works as well. The elaborate detail of one side v the featureless other. Two worlds come together. This impression is enhanced by the panoramic framing.

• Members 1185 posts
    June 30, 2023, 5:26 p.m.

Yes, that was a good line from Chris.
    All the greenery feels lush. Lots of foliage. Things grow here in abundance. The wheelbarrow reminds me of pumpkins-orange against green is foodie country. Details in the image will have fellow gardeners nodding approvingly. It is a well used barrow and that's how you leave a wheel barrow that you care for - on end.
    It's an image that reveals character without a person in sight.

• Members 1737 posts
    June 30, 2023, 6:21 p.m.

Continuing in "The Last Picture Show" theme, I made this exposure about the same time.

2022-05-04 20-14-43 (B,Radius5,Smoothing4)-Edit-Edit.jpg

2022-05-04 20-14-43 (B,Radius5,Smoothing4)-Edit-Edit.jpg

JPG, 439.3 KB, uploaded by JimKasson on June 30, 2023.

• Members 663 posts
    June 30, 2023, 6:57 p.m.

Jim,

Another wonderful image.

As before, I would crop quite a bit. And, as before, there is a single, central figure, in that wonderful panorama of the kids spread out across the bottom of the image, that "makes" the shot. The body language of the blonde smack in the middle with her hand on the sign pole is priceless, with her Farrah Fawcett hair.

Coaching her couldn't have produced a better result. As LindaS said - there's a novel to be written right there.

Then there's the two flirting with their legs entwined to the left. While their friends look away. Except for the guy sitting on the car. Wow! Small town tension.

All against a backdrop straight out of a Hollywood back lot set. Except it's real.

Untitled-2.jpg

Rich

Untitled-2.jpg

JPG, 1.4 MB, uploaded by Rich42 on June 30, 2023.

• Members 129 posts
    June 30, 2023, 7:40 p.m.

I much prefer the second image. If I was editing, I would crop the image into 1x1 using the porch beams and roof as framing. It would leave just the pump, the phone booth and the sign. I would leave some of the road and the corrugated tin roof similar to the previous image.

• Members 129 posts
    June 30, 2023, 7:45 p.m.

I like both images. The closer second image is more interesting to me. I would crop the first image into a pano style to reduce the trees and road but keep all the cars. What are the colors like in this image? Any bright colors to contrasts with the green trees?

• Members 1737 posts
    June 30, 2023, 8:26 p.m.

I made the image on Tri-X. No color data recorded.

• Members 304 posts
    June 30, 2023, 9:08 p.m.

I grew up in a town - any small Southern or Midwestern town USA a long damn time ago. Maybe that is why i think the Last Picture Show was one of the best films of all times, but I'm not alone in that. The goal for many was to just get out. Some of us made it some didn't. This image I think conveys the start of the plight that has come over rural America as the brightest who could got out leaving the rest. Great shot Jim. A bit of the style of W. Eugene Smith. Thanks for sharing Jim.

• Members 978 posts
    June 30, 2023, 11:44 p.m.

If I may be bold in my statements - Rich, no no no.
    The original contained elements that are integral to the image. The trees provide a nice umbrella? (it's too early to find the right words) effect to the scene and are nicely symmetrical around the road sign. The vehicles are also defining to the image. The older pickup, with a newer van behind, older sports? car and the classic Toyota Celica? give us a time perspective with acceptance of old and new. I was never much of a fan of American vehicles but the cartoonish face created by the grill and headlights of the pickup must be seen. Whether I like the block wall and ac unit hanging out of it is irrelevant to the image (I would have thought of cropping them but their inclusion keeps the young adults centred in the image). The foreground road surface also gives quite a bit of depth perspective to the image.
    The original for me and a nice capture Jim, of relaxed, well behaved looking, young people hanging out doing their thing.

• Members 132 posts
    June 30, 2023, 11:49 p.m.

Rope festival.

_A180018 copy 2.jpg

Is there any idea when we can expect threaded view, because looking at the same photos page after page after page is so disconcerting that I wondered how long this will gnaw at my interest in this thread, I wonder. Sorry to those who feel offended by this position.

To enlarge: click image, click dow arrow.

Lou

_A180018 copy 2.jpg

JPG, 601.0 KB, uploaded by LouHolland on June 30, 2023.

• Members 1737 posts
    June 30, 2023, 11:52 p.m.

I think the sports car might be a Triumph Spitfire without its front bumper.

• Members 1737 posts
    June 30, 2023, 11:54 p.m.

Thanks. I don't like it as well cropped tight. A little context. I was taking a workshop in Truckee from George Tice, and we took a field trip to Weaverville. George picked Weaverville, and turned his students loose there for a few hours one June afternoon in 1980.

• Members 978 posts
    June 30, 2023, 11:59 p.m.

Soon, evidently.

• Members 663 posts
    July 1, 2023, 12:15 a.m.

I agree - all good points. I looked at that umbrella of trees and thought, If it's cropped out, the atmosphere of the scene is lost. But then I felt that the remaining branches and leaves carried that part of the theme. In the cropped version there's enough of the various cars to fully develop that part of the feel of the scene. I felt the kids were the main focus and see the tight crop as a book jacket illustration or even a movie poster.

Either way, this is just a great example of street photography. It's almost like looking at a moving image, there is so much action there.

But all that is superfluous as Jim does not prefer the crop. And that's that.

Rich

• Members 663 posts
    July 1, 2023, 12:19 a.m.

Nice to know this was in June. I didn't know why, but the scene had the feel of seniors in their last days in high school, right around graduation.

Rich

• Members 1737 posts
    July 1, 2023, 12:33 a.m.

Kate Wolf on Weaverville:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWc3H28t3uQ

• Members 663 posts
    July 1, 2023, 2:10 a.m.

Jim,

Weaverville?

If you were in Truckee, a short drive up 89, then down 49 could have taken you to Downieville. Where the Route 49 sign could have indicated Nevada City to be about 45 miles and Camptonville 21.

But not Weaverville. That's 200 miles northwest and not on 49.

I've never been to either but have been in the general area in Yuba City, Paradise, Chico.

Rich

• Members 1737 posts
    July 1, 2023, 3:06 a.m.

Well, shoot. I remembered it wrong. Thanks for the correction. I now remember -- I think -- that Weaverville is where you get your wilderness permit if you're hiking in the Trinity Alps.