July 15, 2023, 5:45 a.m.
  • Members 132 posts
    July 15, 2023, 3:53 p.m.

_8110077_1 copy.jpg
    The Body Building
    _8110077b copy.jpg
    E=CM2

_8110077b copy.jpg

JPG, 515.3 KB, uploaded by LouHolland on July 15, 2023.

_8110077_1 copy.jpg

JPG, 353.6 KB, uploaded by LouHolland on July 15, 2023.

• Members 663 posts
    July 15, 2023, 4:32 p.m.

OK, I give up. It's not Einstein's famous equation, so what are the quantities E, c and m in this sign and what is a body building?

I really like the wonderful lens distortion in the second shot. I like the B&W treatment, which I assume enhances the effect, although the color version might be interesting.

What kind of lens did you use in the second shot?

Rich

• Members 1737 posts
    July 15, 2023, 4:38 p.m.

Looks like a rectangular to polar conversion.

• Members 280 posts
    July 15, 2023, 4:54 p.m.

If you apply the rectangular to polar transform to Mondrian's classic paintings, it makes them more fun. You can also modernise his primary colours by converting red to magenta and blue to cyan.
    Don

• Members 663 posts
    July 15, 2023, 5:01 p.m.

I think some parts of this country would welcome a "polar conversion" right about now.

🙄

Rich

• Members 132 posts
    July 15, 2023, 7:25 p.m.
  • Members 132 posts
    July 15, 2023, 7:39 p.m.

Jim, it can be shot with any lens as the effect is achieved with a square crop and the polar processing. A rectangular crop creates a different vanishing point and effect.
    Lou

• Members 1737 posts
    July 15, 2023, 8:38 p.m.

By rectangular, I meant Cartesian.

• Members 132 posts
    July 15, 2023, 9:40 p.m.

Cartesian indeed as been used by Escher and Fibonacci.

• Members 1383 posts
    July 15, 2023, 9:50 p.m.

The original image is pretty extraordinary due to its odd name and construction, and the contents of the stacked booths. But the manipulated one i super fun, rolling the whole affair up into a crystal marble with all its lines converted to curves and all its contrasts bent with the lines. Nice work.

• Members 1383 posts
    July 15, 2023, 9:51 p.m.

Blue and orange always seem to play well together don't they?

• Members 1383 posts
    July 15, 2023, 10:04 p.m.

Thanks, Mike! It is indeed part of a collection either online or on display, and my choices had to do with a high contrast subset that I've been developing since the original collection was displayed. If I print/display these, I'll have to be cautious with the tonalities. The paper I use picks up the subtlest of tonalities if I make the right decisions on the front end.

Ah, the challenges of flat view. The look of this post is something I created, not a result of posts accumulating naturally. I copy the quotes out of each message posted about the image and assemble them into a response to my own initial image. Then I add my comments beneath each quote. It's the easiest/clearest way I've found to respond to everyone without creating a bunch of different posts and duplicating the image yet again a multitude of times. The highlight/quote feature is one of the hidden formatting bonuses we have here, but it took me a while to find it.

• Members 796 posts
    July 16, 2023, 9:49 a.m.

View from Napoleon's bridge

I just found this C&C thread and it looks interesting :-)

Probably a bit late in the week to enter an image here now, but I thought I'd give it a try.
    This image was taken on a slighty misty morning in October 2021 on a hiking tour through part of Slovenia and then on into Italy.
    The Soča valley is breathtakingly beautiful, but it’s especially nice with its Autumn colours on show.
    I’ve printed this image quite big on canvas (120 x 80 cm) and have it hanging on my balcony wall, and see it almost every day.
    I like it because it reminds me of a great tour, perhaps you like it too?

DSC_8326 d - Copy smaller.JPG

DSC_8326 d - Copy smaller.JPG

JPG, 7.0 MB, uploaded by Fireplace33 on July 16, 2023.

• Members 1662 posts
    July 16, 2023, 10:11 a.m.

Great shot - looks like a wonderful place! I like the composition and how it incorporates both layers provided by the water and the meandering road. I live in a very similar environment but often times in these kind of small valleys there are no roads, which makes it harder to shoot when you don‘t have time for a hike…

• Members 1185 posts
    July 16, 2023, 10:56 a.m.

This is glorious. It needs to be seen big to bring out the details. The textures on water, rocks, leaves and clouds can be explored over and over. Visually the parallels between the road and the river are quite magical as they both take us back into the background. While the background is lit up with sunlight, it doesn't distract. We have more than enough detail in the shadowed foreground for that foreground to hold its own. The sunlit area adds warmth and suggests it is worth heading in that direction. I also liked the clouds where the shapes sit comfortably with the hill contours.
    I'd put it on my wall too.
    I hope you have more for us.

• Members 517 posts
    July 16, 2023, 11:21 a.m.

The geometric patterns are the theme, but it is the stepped shadow, which makes such a difference, splitting the facade into more rectangular shapes, and does so without cutting across any of the windows.
    The slivers of surrounding buildings are a little distracting at first sight, but on reflection, they add a frame and a sense of the crowded area of buildings.

Pete