• Members 676 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 3:21 p.m.

Thanks for stopping by, Andrew .. good to see you here! .. as to the man in the river --- I think neither drowning or looking fo assistance .. humor accepted .... but just being friendly and presenting his best to the camera .... A bit different than others have expressed their interaction with street subjects ...

WhyNot

• Members 1383 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 3:25 p.m.

An interesting graffiti painting of a rather compelling character in rich colors and strong details. The background of overlapping geometric shapes and tell us something about the urban setting. But the kicker is the new wooden door with the No Graffiti sign. The character's eyes seem to be cutting to the side to gloat about it.

• Members 1662 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 3:29 p.m.

That's interesting - I know the water hole with a tree with a rope over the water as well from my childhood, but the deep blue made me think more of the ocean than a river to be honest. It's quite unusual around here for people (especially families with children) to swim in the one big river around, because it's deemed a bit dangerous for children. But because you say it's not accommodating there, it may actually be a similar situation. You're right of course, it is quite similar to street photography in how unpredictable it is. Great that you were able to adapt your vision.

Yes, of course - you've got a point there - my edit is certainly not a good interpretation of what's really happening and a complete exaggeration. As I've stated it was in part inspired by the two people on the right side however, which just don't have the same relaxed energy about them as the waving man. Of course impressions like that can be completely deceiving, but it still prevents me from fully seeing what you described as "the joy of summer".

But it seems like this really is a case where a thousand words might actually be worth more than a warped image... 😅

• Members 1383 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 3:33 p.m.

Intriguing use of shadow and texture with a natural subject.They are all nice but the third is my favorite, with the birds and their shadows framed against that large gray boulder that sits like an odd-cut puzzle piece into the larger rock structure. Lines of shadow lead us into and out of the central showcase of the image. On the lower right lurks a mysterious figure that reminds me of a rabbit, crouched like some spirit animal guarding the site. And the flowers are lagniappe.

• Members 1383 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 3:42 p.m.

A beautiful lush green scene with a garden-of-Eden vibe to it. I agree with posters who thought the foreground was not contributing. the object there isn't interesting enough to warrant the attention it draws and I'd be tempted to get rid of it someway, either by cropping or cloning. The suggestion about cropping from top and bottom to make a green-scene is an interesting one that I would not have thought of since I too like to have some sky in outdoor photos. But I tried it and it really does create a nice variation.

• Members 663 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 3:57 p.m.

Andrew,

I like to think that I've added some visual interest to a "scene" other than just a "reportage" view. Most flowers are so beautiful from almost any angle that after a while the reaction becomes (unfortunately) "ho, hum, just another gorgeous flower image (think of a flower seed catalogue)." Most of my flower photography is quite abstract. I'll post some of those another week.

Thank you for looking and taking the time to compare images and discuss the subject. I'd like to see more of your work.

Rich

• Members 663 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 4:02 p.m.

Minniev,

Thanks. Actually the second image is not mine! I just grabbed it from the Internet to illustrate sea foam, which I thought the Lilly's petals resembled in the soft, early evening light. (there was no attribution listed for the tropical ocean scene, so I can't give proper credit).

Rich

• Members 861 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 4:33 p.m.

I haven't noticed this and now I gotta think about it and what it is, lol. Anyone know of a golden ratio overlay for lcd screens?

My general thinking is you need something to attract and draw the eye. Something has to get the viewer's attention.

You humble me by assuming this was anything but shot out of a moving car in automatic focus mode, hoping for the best and working with the handful of images that actually "worked" visually and technically. There's a film term for this style of shooting, but I'm blanking on the name right now. It's not a direct influence, but it's certainly an artistic explanation for shooting out your car window in automatic.

• Members 796 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 4:40 p.m.

I took a look at your link, those B&W square shots really capture the atmosphere !!

• Members 796 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 4:43 p.m.

This is a great abstract, the bright and colourful central part shining out from the darker background

• Members 796 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 4:44 p.m.

That is sad. hope they find a way of dealing with it

• Members 796 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 4:47 p.m.

...another good & creative work. I like that colour!
    Good text too, is that an excerpt from anything in particular ?

• Members 1383 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 4:49 p.m.

I have a friend who has done multiple gallery shows of such things. He calls them Drive-By Shootings. He's in his 90s and began shooting this way when he was unable to hike anymore. Now he rides shotgun with his wife and creates some pretty amazing art out the window.

• Members 796 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 4:51 p.m.

This is a cool photo.
    What a nice way to make the wind visible. The original photo you linked is also very good, I can see why you wanted to use the idea

• Members 796 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 4:53 p.m.

That is a beautiful garden. So many greens. Nice capture!

• Members 796 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 5 p.m.

Many thanks minniev :-)
    The third was taken about 1 minute after the 4th, after zooming in and recomposing.
    I like the idea to use the others as a series of "little people in big places" :-)

• Members 1662 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 5:38 p.m.

Thank you very much! The text was just my description for the image to let people know what I had in mind when I created the arrangement. 😅

• Members 1662 posts
    Aug. 10, 2023, 8:50 p.m.

"Photoshop - Transform - Warp - Arch" and then some fiddling...