• Members 1185 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 10:39 a.m.

Recently I read a little about the Meyer Optik Trioplan. Otherwise, I'd have been completely lost in trying to understand what you are attempting here. The image itself doesn't really grab me but I admire the ingenuity and effort you have made.

• Members 1185 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 10:55 a.m.

I don't know who the Indian God of photography is but there probably is one. Whoever/whatever, they deserve thanks for the cornucopia of opportunities that India provides for photographers. The place is awash with symbols. As you have shown here, the traditional and the modern world overlap in bewildering chaos. It's hard to be sure of the boundaries. Power takes many forms and features repeatedly in Indian tradition.. I'm pleased to see the Gods are keeping an eye on modern infrastructure, it needs all the help it can get.

• Members 1185 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 11:07 a.m.

As you say, an old story. But it's an old story for good reason. It's The story. An eternal story that everyone has to grapple with and that can be framed in never ending ways. Imagine how this version of the story might have taken us to different places if the positions of the flowers had been reversed?
    I like everything about this shot., the lighting, the almost details in the foliage, the space to the right where the white flower points.
    Quietly perfect.

• Members 1185 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 11:20 a.m.

Around the time when songs on the radio first started to register with me, there was a song that minniev's photo triggered. An image something like this always came to mind when it was played. Shrimp boats is a comin, there'll be dancing tonight.
    The tangle of masts and cranes spells work, but not tonight. The orange suggests it has been hot and tiring though. Rest and partytime.
    Lots of vertical lines repeated here linking everything together.
    I'm going to have to try a direct sun shot.

• Members 523 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 1:06 p.m.

I enjoyed your photo story very much. For me it's an example of the best use of this type of photography: informative, interesting well-written facts and observations, engaging photos!

• Members 523 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 1:09 p.m.

I'm trying to remember who first encouraged me to shoot towards the sun - not you? 😅 Of course I adore the colors and silhouetes here, though I confess to being bothered a bit by the poles obstructing the more eye-catching (to me) lines of the fishing fleet.

• Members 523 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 1:15 p.m.

Along with simple.joy's comments and examples, you can smear Vaseline onto a piece of glass and hold in front of the lens, or use plastic wrap. Or use slow shutter speed and bracket, while slightly moving the camera in between exposures. A Google search returns a lot of YouTube videos and articles, though most may not be what you have in mind. I would call your goal a very health obsession 😁

The idea of 57 GB of clouds, however, makes my brain explode.

• Members 1103 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 1:16 p.m.

Just fantastic shot.

• Members 1103 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 1:17 p.m.

Very engaging.

• Members 523 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 1:19 p.m.

For me, a great example of when sharpness is very, very important. The limited colors, the pose of a fascinating-looking insect, the simplicity of the background...this is a fine, fine portrait. Love it!

• Members 523 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 1:26 p.m.

I'm pleased you like it, Rich. However, it's not the image I submitted for feedback 😁 For me, exploring creative uses of post processing is a big part of the joy of the hobby.

Saying it stands on its own is suggesting one should stop there. Perhaps not exactly related, but it's sort of like advising someone who takes interesting landscape photos to never try portraits or macro.

I do get your point of view, and appreciate your time. Many thanks!

• Members 796 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 1:27 p.m.

The first photo is better for the proposed use in the book, good that you found a willing volunteer to craete an action shot!
    ... but I wish I had been there for the malt and hops feeling in the second photo ;-)

• Members 796 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 1:34 p.m.

With the muted colours , gentle colour gradients and simplified composition; the sense of peacefulness is almost perfect here, but that very slight angle "mismatch" of the fence top and the horizon is a bit jarring for my sense of probably totally exaggerated geometrical pefection ;-)

• Members 796 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 1:38 p.m.

Is that "bubble" the same effect as what they call "onion rings" in the bokeh ?
    ... something that the lens manufactures would normally try and avoid?
    But whatever, it works nicely in your image here !

• Members 796 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 1:48 p.m.

Nice title; the shot really does invite you to sit down for a while :-)
    You've created a painting here!
    Not sure where the classic "photo" ends and the added elements begin, but it works just fine.

At home we have a set of paintings on the wall from an artist that started with landscape photos, then cut about half of that photo away and painted the scene back in again with a brush. You can't see the "join" and they sort of morph from a photo into that painterly feeling.

• Members 796 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 1:53 p.m.

Love the way it glows!

• Members 861 posts
    Sept. 14, 2023, 3:23 p.m.

"Fancy a rest and a spot of tea, deary?"
    dsc00051_$33_72dpi_web.jpg

dsc00051_$33_72dpi_web.jpg

JPG, 1.5 MB, uploaded by OpenCube on Sept. 14, 2023.