• Foundation 1405 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 8:45 a.m.

Actually, the resolution is quite good, and if you were to crop out the walls and the wooden structure at the bottom, you would have a much more interesting picture. Try it!

David

• Members 978 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 10:17 a.m.

My answer is, unless there is a large bushfire or dust cloud, to colour the sky red like that, it appears like it might be a scene from a sci-fi film on a planet in another solar system. If it is real it would be good to know the circumstances - atmospheric effects?

• Members 978 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 10:25 a.m.

P1060152a.JPG

Taken on the last full moon. Hand held, full zoom, low ss... Lots of atmospheric effects, a little bit of pp to bring up the trees.

P1060152a.JPG

JPG, 2.9 MB, uploaded by Bryan on Oct. 26, 2023.

• Members 666 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 11:53 a.m.

I like it.
    The only comment that I would move the Moon from the center. As for the believeabilty, we are not in forensic photography, so for me - I either like an image like this or not.

• Members 720 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 12:39 p.m.

That's one on the edge!
    Your usual imagination and quality of execution shine through.
    But what I really love here, is the almost B&W quality, with the bright red glossy ball (and its reflection) perfect focal points and contrast.

• Members 720 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 12:41 p.m.

That's cool stuff.
    Intrepid Men and their Flying Machines : always a winner for kids (and adults) with vivid imagination.
    I like the story and the images, but I am always sad that wonderful machines like these are confined to a small (always too small) space in a museum.
    It needs to be seen on an airstrip to realize the magnitude of what is on display.

• Members 720 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 12:44 p.m.

Great composition with wonderful timing: you waited for just the right moment.
    The road tipping over the horizon and leading to a totally natural landscape in the far distance (DOF tells us it IS FAR) is always a winner.
    Add traffic signs for almost comic relief and a man walking there, as a symbol of human determination, and the picture is complete.

• Members 720 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 12:46 p.m.

That timeline has the quality of what we see in Indiana Jones movies.
    I can just imagine the old world map on parchment, with a dotted line appearing step by step and slowly making its way from England over Europe, The Middle East, Asia, India and the Far East.

• Members 861 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 3:40 p.m.

It was approximately between 5 & 7pm in goldenish hour sun. The red is simply slider adjustment.

The image is not a composition, it's an actual photo.

• Members 129 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 5:25 p.m.

Something like this? I think I would need to tone down how far I pushed the colors, it doesn't look as good blown up.

Ghent On the Rampart Small b (1 of 1).jpg

Original Image in jpg

DSC01171.jpg

DSC01171.jpg

JPG, 2.3 MB, uploaded by JSPhotoHobby on Oct. 26, 2023.

Ghent On the Rampart Small b (1 of 1).jpg

JPG, 3.9 MB, uploaded by JSPhotoHobby on Oct. 26, 2023.

• Members 523 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 7:10 p.m.

The color of the moon looks fake to me. While I don't necessarily "believe" the red sky, I very much like the look overall, especially with the curved tangle of bare branches.

Just read your comments to @Bryan and @Sagittarius. Any interest in desaturating the moon a bit?

• Members 676 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 7:20 p.m.

Perplexing!! .. That split image of the city is fascinating but being so small that I have enlarge the view to see it well makes me wonder if it belongs and enhances the story here .... But it is an interesting idea and that slit view appears to show a more interesting part of the city ... for me ..

WhyNot

• Members 676 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 7:26 p.m.

I like this original version while the alternates suggested are interesting I find them a bit too clean and devoid of the modern world too much ... and as composed the walker is a "found" subject and I always like that idea ...

WhyNot

• Members 676 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 7:36 p.m.

Drive By

Drive By.jpg

AND

Thank you Chris ....

Thank you .....

WhyNot

Drive By.jpg

JPG, 1.4 MB, uploaded by WhyNot on Oct. 26, 2023.

• Members 523 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 7:39 p.m.

David, if I include this kind of "stuff" in a composition, it's because I've intentionally made it part of the composition (or story, if you will). Unlike if I were traveling and facing one-of-kind scenes or iconic structures, I usually have options. So, from a viewer's pov, it often comes down to like/dislike, and I've found quite a few people dislike 😀 Many thanks for your time.

Roel, your reference to the traffic signs as "comic relief" tickled me. At your peril, make a left turn only!

Thanks Johannes. As you pointed out, your rework is now a totally different image. I mentioned my own extreme new version was boring. It's always interesting to experience the levels of distaste for telephone poles and wires. MinnieV found the tiniest remnant of one in the far background of one of my photos and recommended it be scrubbed out 😀

Thanks! "Found" subjects have been my joy for years now, especially when I was roaming around the countryside for 4 - 6 hours at a time, several times per week. I call them "stumble-upon" and they often were about wildlife or changing weather (fog lifting, rainbows, isolated rainstorms). As I mentioned to David, this particular photo was composed by choice to include the stuff. I'm often attracted to the contrasts here of semi-urban vs. empty of life butting right up against each other, and the non-irrigated hillsides of our semi-arid climate vs. the lush green of the commercial orchards in areas where there is no neutral zone, just one extreme to the other side by side.

• Members 1383 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 8:10 p.m.

Both the scene and its lighting are quite beautiful, complement and enhance each other's strengths, resulting in a very impactful and artistic image. Everything works: the rows of like-sized stones commemorating so many years and so many lives, the beautiful architecture of the structure, the two bare trees, the stone wall, the distant forest, the threatening clouds. A remarkably lovely photograph with lots of story embedded.

• Members 1383 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 8:16 p.m.

I don't know how you think up or accomplish these feats. This is another nice creation, with the bead balanced precisely on the edge of the knife, creating a lot of tension that has its own visual appeal separate from the lines and circles, balance, bisection, color contrast, shadows/highlights, and other components of the image. I especially like the way the reflection of the bead works on the knife edge, which isn't exactly what you'd expect until you think through it. Well done.

• Members 861 posts
    Oct. 26, 2023, 8:21 p.m.

Ironically, I generally don't like these weird "this is the sorta stuff I was doing at 15 in photoshop" edits, but this one is pretty grand