• Members 789 posts
    Nov. 23, 2023, 11:12 p.m.

Nice shot!
    I guess I'm a bit slow. I didn't notice the "long nose" and pinoccio until I read one of the other comments :-)
    On a whim, I bought a didgeridoo this summer :-)
    It's easy enough, after a while, to get a good sound out of it that resembles a real didgeridoo player, but as soon as I run out of breath I have to stop and breathe in deep while feeling exhausted. That just destroys the rhythm completlely. The circular breathing technique is a huge challenge that I might never master.

• Members 657 posts
    Nov. 24, 2023, 1:28 a.m.

Surf-Shop-S-M.jpg
    Abandoned Surf Shop, Carlsbad, CA

Rich

Surf-Shop-S-M.jpg

JPG, 3.4 MB, uploaded by Rich42 on Nov. 25, 2023.

• Members 861 posts
    Nov. 24, 2023, 7:48 a.m.

A bit too much away from pure photography, but without the photo, there is no final product.

"Brotherhood"
    brotherhood.jpg

brotherhood.jpg

JPG, 3.5 MB, uploaded by OpenCube on Nov. 24, 2023.

• Members 861 posts
    Nov. 24, 2023, 5:42 p.m.

"Going to the beach to set your soul on fire."
    goingtothebeachtosetyoursoulonfire.jpg

• Members 1180 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 4:34 a.m.

A quiet and captivating moment. The seller is seated and relaxed. The general triangular shape with the weight at the base adds to the same mood. The bubbles provide highlights, individually and collectively. they don't distract, they connect to the man via several composition lines that link them. The framing of the seller within the curve of the tree behind, similarly green, ties him into the setting.
    A satisfying image that repays study into how it has been done.

• Members 1180 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 4:59 a.m.

Amazing. I'm in central Australia as I write this and the vegetation and landforms could hardly be more different. I never tire of the same effect on skylines here as the dipping sun makes the lower atmosphere pink which then blends a sky that retains blue. Shortly the Earth's shadow will create purple band that will expand into night. I have never seen that sky with Autumn colours though. The tree is fine with me. It unites foreground and background and takes us up through the coloured layers. Without it, the rock right forehand would have felt a bit isolated.
    One of these days i have to experience an autumn in a country with snow and deciduous trees.

• Members 1180 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 5:20 a.m.

Simply superb. I'd love to see it as a large print where the tone range would be fully revealed. If anyone is dippoing into the The Photo resources that are building up on the front page, This would be a great starting point for some discussion. I note that Linda has posted it before in a challenge headed Compositionally challenged. It is and it demonstrates that while there are good reasons for the rules of composition, they aren't absolutes. Photography can manage eye movement and feelings of balance in subtle ways. All the weight might seem to be on the right but it doesn't feel unbalanced. I think this is because of the lines that continue to the left At the end of them are objects that we peer at trying to see the detail. Consequently, we give extra time to that side rather than ignore it.
    It just goes to show that B&W photography isn't only for street work.

• Members 1180 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 5:24 a.m.

Indeed. I'd see it as a tribute to simplejoy as well. A perfect example of why there is no such thing as a completely objective response to a photo. At this site, we all bring prior knowledge to looking at your photo here.

• Members 1180 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 5:37 a.m.

I have to ask. Did Simplejoy and Open Cube's posts influence your choice of photo this week?
    It's a photo made for people who enjoy lenses. The chances are that everyone here who sees Bryan's photo tries to work out the image in the lens and how it has been bent. Differential focus, the lines of the leaves and the clarity of the globe all take us to that point.

• Members 1180 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 5:40 a.m.

He was. Where I am at the moment at Yulara there are some outstanding didgeridoo players giving performances and lessons. I'll add a photo later today.
    Here we are taken yesterday. At almost the exact opposite side of the planet.

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

JPG, 2.4 MB, uploaded by MikeFewster on Nov. 26, 2023.

• Members 961 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 6:24 a.m.

That's a funny coincidence because some weeks ago I did post a full moon in response to, I think was OpenCube's moon. I hadn't seen OpenCube's shot this week until I posted mine but I was aware of SJ's post, but not in response to it. I had 4 shots I wanted to post but they didn't fit into a series so I picked that one.

• Members 718 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 9:30 a.m.

Three more examples of your boundless creativity in macro shots (and in finding superb titles for them):

The first is my favourite, because the water drop on the copper coin presents us with a new and unique view on something that we hold in our hands daily (although use of cash and especially coins is on the decline worldwide).
    The title elevates the image, by drawing our attention on the relationship between water, foliage and money.

The second is a good closeup, but I don't connect with it on the same level as the other two. I feel that there are less layers to enjoy.

The third, again, is a gem. Three drops on the sharp end of a needle (or something slightly bigger), with the star of the show the lower drop, with its reflection of colour in the background, effectively creating a clown's nose in a water drop. Love it.

• Members 718 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 9:31 a.m.

For me, these images are about the relationship between water, colour and light.

• Members 718 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 9:35 a.m.

This image really reminds me of the poster for an older Johnny Depp movie, "Fear and loathing in Las Vegas", based on Hunter S. Thompson.
    I hope that this link (to the album art of the soundtrack LP) works :

npr.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/4925b6b/2147483647/strip/true/crop/720x540+0+0/resize/1760x1320!/format/webp/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnpr-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F51%2F6a%2F81acc4f24508beb3b77782650f3b%2Ffear-and-loathing-album.jpg

It's an interesting effect, but something that has a novelty factor that might wear thin quickly.

• Members 718 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 9:36 a.m.

A wonderful vertical landscape that is two images rolled into one: a portrait of a tree barely surviving, and beyond it, a gorgeous landscape on which the last light creates a rainbow of soft colours.

• Members 718 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 9:40 a.m.

There are so many layers to enjoy here:
    A street artist playing his didgeridoo, effectively echoing the other image that we know of Pinocchio, the one with the growing nose of a liar.
    That is the obvious layer.
    But there is more: Pinocchio sits behind glass and that glass shows us the reflection of what looks like a ferris wheel, echoing the scenes in the fairytale where Pinocchio is lured onto the eternal fairground.
    The jewel in the crown is the suggested connection of hands.

• Members 718 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 9:41 a.m.

This B&W has more subtle contrast than I myself usually employ (I often like to go bold), but it works wonderfully well for this scene and the subject of fog rolling in on the landscape.